Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Concerta has changed my life!! and a question for Dr. J.

Concerta has changed my life!! and a question for Dr. J.2010-11-24T15:40:26+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Concerta has changed my life!! and a question for Dr. J.

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed ADHD 3 weeks ago and have been on Concerta 18mg since then. I have suffered for at least 38 of my 44 years with this. Since starting concerta I have totally stopped smoking, I smoked a couple the first couple days on the med, but the desire to smoke just went away. I was a smoker for 6 years. My coffee consumption went from a whole pot a day down to 1 small cup!

I don’t crave the crappy carbs and sugar anymore either. I can actually eat a meal and stop when I am full. I have lost like 14 lbs.

My mind has slowed down and I finally feel peace from within. No more arguing with myself about everything. I am enjoying living in the moment and my anxiety has lessened considerably. My blood pressure and pulse is lower, and I have not had a migraine once since being on Concerta! . I sleep so soundly since I have been on it to and my mind does not race anymore! Its so amazing to me that this little pill has improved my life so much

My Dr. upped it to 27 mgs, because I felt the effectiveness has decreased a bit in the last week. I hope this is the dose I stay at. I usually don’t like to take any kind of meds, but these last couple of weeks have been amazing! I urge anyone who is diagnosed or thinks they may have ADD to get help! The quality of your life will improve significantly!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

Wow, I’m glad to hear that Concerta 18 mg was so effective for you, Reneelynne.

I started taking it about 2 weeks ago, and while I noticed a small difference, it was nowhere near as dramatic as yours. I’m starting on Concerta 27mg on Saturday.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

HAve you been taking “drug holidays?”

One way I’ve kept my dose of Ritalin down to 20-30mg/day is by not taking it on weekends (unless I have a stack of work to do), or when I’m on leave. It kind of resets things so that the minimum dose stays effective for longer.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No drug holidays as of yet. I can tell the effects of the 18 mg of concerta are lessening. Will start the 27mg probably Monday. I hope this will be the best dosage for me. Still no urge to smoke or overeat, Still so much happier and able to go with the flow of life, but just not as calm as the first 2.5 weeks.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My daughter was diagnosed ADHD as a 7 year old. Concerta, during her school years, seemed to be the most effective med at 54 mg. However, when she turned 18 she stopped taking the Concerta because of the stomach upset. She has switched to the dermal patch version, but is trying her first year of college without it for the most part. She concedes it helps her stay focused, but doesn’t like to use it on a daily basis. The thing I notice most are the mood swings and rage when confronted with adverse situations. How do I convince her the drug therepy will balance her life, or is this a conclusion she must reach herself?

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

I think you’re right that it’s a conclusion that she really has to reach for herself.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am obviously not an expert, but since I started Concerta there are people in my life, like my sister who I think has suffered like I have and I think she would benefit so much to try to get a diagnosis of add. Its such a touchy subject to try to help the ones we love. I have an 20 year old son and an 18 year old daughter, we always want to try to make our childrens lives better and easier as parents, but we really have to let them figure out on their own. The more you push the more they do the opposite.

What I have learned so far is that most people do not grow out of add

Hopefully she will figure it out on her own.. Just shower her with unconditional love, that’s probably the best thing or her!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for you comments. I introduced my daughter to this site yesterday; initially she was not interested, but became intrigued by the lost keys stories. I think for so long she has believed no one else in the world share her problems. I am hopeful by leading the way she will begin to explore the website, and realize she is not alone being a young adult with ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Y’all. OK, I’m not falling for that “Question for Dr. J” so easily. I wasn’t actually sure where the question was Reneelynne. I think you were suggesting you don’t want to go higher on the meds and wondering if you should. No. Stay at the dose where you have started to see change. Remember the word, “started”. It’s like starting your engine. Once started your engine will run. Putting the gas on too hard makes the car spin. Sooo, stop increasing the dose. keep working on lifestyle management.

But hey Reneelynn, keep it going! It’s always good to hear success stories. You might also be an inspiration to pabrahms daughter.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Reneelynne

noticed your post. are you still having good results w/ concerta and have you tried any other meds for same?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J

My question was do you think that concerta helps in preventing migraines? I ususally get one like 3 times a week and since I have been taking concerta I have had no migraines at all after 5 years of getting them. My Dr. said that it constricts blood vessels which in turn helps with migraines, just wondering what your opinion was

Paulg, This is the first medication I have ever tried for ADHD, I was just diagnosed 3.5 weeks ago

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Dr J, I guess in the first post I forgot to ask my question,,,duh..wow. I guess I really thought I was getting better…lol

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i too get migraines. interesting that concerta works. will be following your success.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would recommend taking drug holidays if you see a reduction in effectiveness. It is due to the buildup of a tolerance to the drug, and going without for a few days or weeks can reduce that tolerance.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I discuss a bit about headaches in this forum:

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=535

We have to distinguish between muscular and vascular headaches but these medications can worsen vascular ones due to the increase in BP but, as you suggested Reneelyne, they can also constrict blood vessels and make things better. Worsening is the more common problem though.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)