Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Concerta vs new Generic Concerta

Concerta vs new Generic Concerta2011-01-09T19:29:35+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Concerta vs new Generic Concerta

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dartmouthkittykat

What you are saying is true for some generics, but at least in the US, not so for Concerta. Every ingredient, every manufacturing process, even the release mechanism is identical as it is still produce by Ortho/Janssen. Hell, they did not even bother changing the imprint on the tablet. Still says ALZA 18,27,36,54 etc in the exact size and color. If the brand makes you feel better, however, by all means go for it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I took in my new script for Concerta to my pharmacist, I received quite a surprise. My doctor had written on my script that no substitutions were allowed (as he has been doing for some time now). I dropped it off to be made up and told them I would be by the next day to pick it up.

The bottle was labelled just as I had been previously but this time had the words “No substitutions per doctor’s order” also written on the label. You can imagine my surprise when I opened up the bottle to refill my daily pill container (I take a load of other pills for other stuff and it hekps me stay ‘pill’ organized) and found a totally different pill inside.

At first I thought it must just be some other pill. When I examined one of them, it had 36 mg pressed into the pills. It was shaped like the long capsel shaped tylenol pills. I took it back and showed it the pharmacist and he embarrassedly explained they had made a mistake. Apparently, I had been been given me the generic version of Concerta despite what the script had said.

Looking at the tablet, it was quite obvious that the pill was quite different thatn the generic veriosn of Concerta. Looking at one of the pills, it was obvious that this pill was quite different than the ‘rea’l thing. There was no teeny little hole for the med to be dispersed. If the delivery method is different, so will the effective be changed.

My psychiatrist kept me on Concerta even after the generic had come out because he said he had found out that his patients didn’t didn’t do as well on the generic. Since I have full coveragte for my medications. Interesting!

I

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found this information on a ADHD site. I do not know the validity of it

Concerta Patents

The first patent for Concerta is set to expire in 2018. However, due to a legal settlement between two drug manufacturers, a generic version became available in May 2011. Due to the settlement, Watson Laboratories is allowed to sell an “authorized generic” version of Concerta.

This means that the original manufacturer supplies Watson with brand-name Concerta tablets, which Watson packages and sells as a generic drug. Therefore, this generic version is exactly like the brand-name drug in every way, other than it being sold as a generic.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

From what I have been reading if the Generic Concerta you are getting does not look exactly like the name brand it is counterfit and you should not be taking it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

In Ontario Canada the Generic Concerta and the name brand ARE NOT the same drug.

My son has been on it for about 2 years and last month was switched to the Generic Concerta because the Trillium Drug Plan wont cover the cost of the name Brand.

Well for starters the pill is different. It’s a CAPLET.

It takes longer to kick in, in the morning and is disolved and gone by just after lunch.

He’s been removed from class, so many times.

I’ve had to pick him up more times then I can count.

He says he feels medicated in the morning but in the afternoon, NOTHING.

He’s 14 years old. He has ADHD and the H with him is impulsiveness, talking, acting out, basically no filter.

It’s affecting his school. Our home life is in a shambles.

And our lovely GOVERNMENT doesn’t give a crap.

As a Parent this is EXTREMELY frustrating.

REPORT ABUSE

dartmouthkittykat

@dclenio

Thanks for your post. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada where the generic is not the same. Glad to hear you don’t have that challenge in the US. I have nothing against generic drugs, I have taken the brand and generic equivalent of other drugs (strattera, etc) and have found no difference in effect. However, the difference for my son and me with the generic Concerta was drastic.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I recently started taking the generic version of this about 10 weeks ago. I spent the first 6 weeks at 18mg, then moved up to 27mg. But with that came the “in rare cases” side effects of weakness on the left side and just general lethargy. Waiting on my doc’s advise, but wondering if the side effectsbetween generic and name brand are created equal?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, my doctor had me on vyvanse for probably four to five months, and I don’t use drug coverage to pay depression or add drugs ( self employed + self insured). Therefore, he switched me to concerta saying it will be much cheaper than vyvanse. He was wrong…I was prescribed two 36mg. a day of concerta and the cost is $328. However, the cost for the vyvanse ( which I had a 50% off coupon) was $74 a month for 70mg. Has anyone had this problem…it’s very hard for me to pay $328 + all my other drugs a month. The total cost of drugs just from my pyschiatrist a month is $458…is anyone paying $328 for concerta. Does anyone know where i might could get a coupon or discount for at least 1/2 if the $328.

Thanks in advance for your help, :-)

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi , I am taking the generic concerta at 108 mg per day. I have to pay $150..18 lucky for me I have insurance.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)