Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Depression and ADD – are they related?

Depression and ADD – are they related?2010-12-02T17:38:47+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Depression and ADD – are they related?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have not been officially diagnosed with ADD but am absolutely sure I have it – it runs in my family (big surprise). I have also been depressed most of my life. I do not remember my childhood fondly, nor with any colors. Everything was shades of gray…. I did not do well in school, was chastised for day dreaming, not applying myself, blah blah blah. Was completely unprepared for the work world! Have still not found the right fit for me.

So, would medication for ADD help the depression as well or might I need two separate medications. Like most of you, my life has been extremely challenging and I am running out of steam…

Thanks for your input!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

ADHD and Depression overlap but today’s belief is that if you have ADHD, it trumps the Depression in that treating the ADHD makes the depression better. Getting an accurate diagnosis of ADHD then becomes critical. Of course, a messy and troubled childhood might envelope both of these problems: both aggravating ADHD and percolating depression.

Always speak to your doctor or before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your response – I have to say, I am surprised that ADHD would trump Depression and yet I understand how that could be. My father was diagnosed as manic depressive schizophrenic with homicidal tendencies. My 16 year old brother committed suicide when I was 23. My youngest brother was diagnosed at age 5 with ADHD. So, if in fact we all had ADHD that would definitely contribute or lead to depression. All 3 of my brothers were alcoholics. I was hospitalized at age 43 for a “nervous breakdown/depression”. Wow, how crazy is this? I live in Sedona, AZ. Can you steer me in the right direction to get the ball rolling here for me? Thank you so much for your input. I’ve been waiting for this information for a L O N G time!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t know anyone there in AZ but Rick just broadcast at PBS from Phoenix and if you can, find out if the CHADD people were there or if there are CHADD people in your area. They are likely to direct you to what you need.

A child who only hears “stop, don’t and no” is being exposed to negative thinking all the time and that is the basic construct of anxiety and depression. The ADHD trumps the depression though depression can occur without ADHD.

Always speak to your doctor or before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J, you are awesome! Thank you so much for your time and the work you do. Patrick, Rick and Dr. J. — the 3 Musketeers of ADHD. Just curious – and a personal question of course, but I am wondering if you too are one of us? Your sense of humor indicates a yes . Thanks again. I will follow up with the CHADD people and continue on my quest. Forgot to tell you, I was briefly prescribed Straterra and couldn’t believe the difference. “So this is what normal people feel like?” I was able to focus for the first time in my life – with NO ANXIETY! Just couldn’t afford the drug. Oh well, onward and upward! Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Speaking from personal experience, most of my adult life was spent trying to reduce the impact of depression. Nothing seemed to work, but when I was diagnosed with ADD several years ago, that changed everything. We were working from the wrong direction!

Of course, adult ADD was unheard of when I started trying to control my depression (early 80’s). My depression is still with me, but not as severe and knowing exactly what the root cause is makes it easier to deal with.

Hope this helps…and good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been dealing with depression for many years, i am always fatigued and lethargic at times… I believe i also have ADD (inattentive subtype). I have been prescribed Prozac, Cymbalta, Effexor, and now Celexa. I am seeing my physician weekly trying to find the right Medication, but am beginning to wonder if we are treating the right problem? I was always under the assumption since i was tired and had no energy i didn’t have ADD. Will a Prescription for ADD help with the Fatigue as well as lack of focus? or should i keep working on the depression? I’m confused and frustrated, I somedays feel like i’m reaching my breaking point. i would love to feel “normal” and do what other people seem to do easily. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

@Frustrated

Welcome! Here’s an ongoing thread that more specifically addresses your situation:

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=383

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is my first post, so bare with me. I was diagnosed with depression about 5 years ago, was then prescribed wellbutrin, Although the wellbutrin worked its wonders for the first few months, it gradually sputtered out. I really never did feel depressed, but after experiencing the initially effects of wellbutrin, I began to wonder.

I have been blessed to have a wonderful wife, and a baby boy who is almost one year old. As of lately, I have been told of certain things that seem to be reoccurring over and over and over again. Its been like reliving my childhood again, like forgetting things, not being able to concentrate on certain task bla bla bla!

My wife and I were talking about it one evening, and I started to flip through the channels, and came across a pbs program that had to do with diabetes…. two channels below it on the other pbs channel had living with add and loving it. So I told my wife (she is type one diabetic) there’s one for me, and one for you, which one do you want to watch. During the program my wife and I would look at each other and laugh, not only because the show was done so well, but that all the symptoms that were discussed related to me.

So I make an appointment to see the Dr. told him my life story, and he figures that I have ADD, and that he would put me ritalin, but first wants me to see the Psychiatrist….was not too impressed especially living in a small town, and the stigma that’s attached….so I;ve decided to cowboy up, and made the appointment. I am nervous, and excited at the same time. Part of me hopes that I’m write (having add), the other, well who knows what the dr will diagnose me with (my biggest fear). Either way, if i do have anything it would be nice to know in the event that my son has any of the symptoms. As I would do anything to prevent him from going through the same struggles i did when i was a kid. Appointment is for Jan 12th 2011, will keep you posted. Cheers.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)