Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

desperate to managing my sleep cycle. any one want to join?

desperate to managing my sleep cycle. any one want to join?2011-09-08T06:00:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Time Management desperate to managing my sleep cycle. any one want to join?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn’t get through every post, but I saw someon else asked whether you take ADD / ADHD meds… I have similar hyperactive feelings every evening, and my sleep life improved immeasurably when I started taking stimulant medication during the day for ADD / ADHD.

Still, I too need to limit stimulation at night or have trouble sleeping. I sometimes read or watch TV before bed because I like to but if I really have something important in the morning, the best way for me to have a solid sleep even on medication is to stop doing anything and get ready for bed one hour before I want to be there, wash my face, brush my teeth, etc., and then light a candle and sit on the floor in my room and do some light stretching and deep breathing, while letting all my thoughts leave my mind. Each time one comes in, I acknowledge it, “Oh that’s nice, float along,” and then imagine it drifing away. I do this for 30 minutes or so, spend the last five minutes in a “shevasanah” type yoga resting pose, still doing the mind emptying thing… Then I get into bed, and keep on doing the mind emptying until I fall asleep.

It’s a lot of work, but it’s probably what I should be doing every night. I encourage you to give it a try.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi zaidyma

I like the approach you have taken and I appreciate you sharing because I am trying to regulate my sleep cycle after just being

diagnosed with ADD

My story

I have suffered from sleep problems and regulating my sleep cycle for years. My personal diagnosis was depression up until Nov 2011

The course of treatment for me based on the diagnosis was antidepressants. These have never allowed me to sleep naturally. I have been reliant on sleep medication for a long time. The only other thing noteworthy that actually helped my sleep was I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and put on a CPAP machine. I have also used exercise but it hasn’t been helpful in regulating sleep.

my sleep experience is I have not regular sleep cycle and frequently stay up to 2 or 3am

In November with the ADD diagnosis my course of treatment is now stimulants (the old meds i am on for now).

What is happening is I am starting to get normal energy cycles including feeling sleepy at an appropriate time like 11:30pm

What i am trying to do (like you) is starting to get ready to go to sleep an hour ahead of time. I am trying to go to sleep at 11:30pm.

I slow down the hour ahead of time by reading or watching a light comedy. I will try more reading as my ability to focus increases.

I like the approach you have used in terms in setting up the routine. (preparation for bed). the deep breathing, candle and stretching is something I will have to think about. I think it is good but I haven’t been successful in the past with deep breathing, meditation.

I should give it another try.

Thank you

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have soooo fallen off of the sleep wagon!!!! argggggggggggg. 12:30am and no amber glasses and plugging away at compy. I put on the internet blocker but for some reason, it didn’t work. and well you would think that a reasonable person who just shut down the internet as I knew when I wanted to…but nope.. *sigh*. ok sleepytime…hopefully… *dear self….avoid the jewelry table..avoid… you can finish that tomorrow..*

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)