Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Did He Just Say That????

Did He Just Say That????2010-09-21T23:05:34+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was severely depress and dealing with debilitating anxiety attacks.

I scheduled my first Therapist session, hoping that he could help me

get these problems under control.

After going through my history, he said he wanted me to try something.

His best advice was, “whenever things start feeling like they are

leading to a bad place, just say F&%$ it.” That was the sum of his

help. like those words were a magical incantation to overcome my problems.

well, i fired him and found soms one a bit more clinical.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Oh dear Lord.

If this wasn’t so frigging stupid on his part, it would be almost funny.

It’s not though.

Even though it reminds me of a Saturday Night Live parody of the Bob Newhart show (with Bob Newhart playing the role of psychiatrist): patient after patient comes in for therapy, and he tells each one of them “JUST ….JUST STOP IT”

“Doctor, I’m feeling suicidal”

“Well JUST STOP IT”

“Doctor, I’m hearing voices”

“You are?”

“Yes”

“Well stop.”

“What? Stop?”

“Yes. JUST STOP IT”

Ridiculous, yes? Just like your idiot therapist.

(Sorry, but that’s my honest opinion. Where the hell did he get his license? From a box of CrackerJacks?)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@tymcmurray

I hope you said ‘ F@#$ it’ as you left his office!

: )

Good for you!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Sounds like he was following that ridiculous self-help psychology book that came out in the 1950s, “I’m Okay, You’re Okay”. Its principal argument was that, when someone said or did something that really upset you, you should just tell yourself and that person, “I’m okay. You’re okay”.

Which is just as effective as the long-held “wisdom” that, if someone bullies you, you should just ignore them. And that garbage about “sticks & stones”.

Frankly, I wouldn’t have just fired that “doctor”; I’d have reported him to the College of Physicians & Surgeons for malpractice.

REPORT ABUSE

mez

I remember that book. Myself, I have daily shootouts at the “I’m OK, you’re not OK” Corral.

Saying “Fuck it!” is no help at all. I know, because I say it daily, in fact probably hourly.

I’m so glad you finally discovered what was wrong (I’m assuming because you’re here).

Psychiatrists are as vulnerable to their own belief systems as anyone else, but this attitude is just outrageous.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

LOL! @mez

I think I have that book. Never actually read it though. I like the sound of “I’m okay, you’re not okay” better.

I used to have a card, not sure where it came from, but it had a picture of a hippo on the front, head up, mouth open wide with the words “When you’re down and out, lift up your head and shout…” On the inside it said “SCREW IT!” I kept it on my bedroom wall, right above the light switch, as a reminder. I would look at it as I was turning out the light before leaving for school in the morning and say “SCREW IT!”

It doesn’t really help much in the long run, agreed, but it does make you feel a little better to  say it.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

December 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm#104918

Larynxa

My brother uses the acronym “FIDO” (F*** it, drive on).

It works…when I remember it.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

I heard an interview with a guy who discribed how Leonardo Davinci was as a person and I thought to myself “Davinci must have had ADHD” so I googled it and sure enough there is speculation that he did have it. It lead me to this YouTube video of a guy who is basically saying the same thing as your psychologist. You don’t have a problem, get over it. Did he just say that? In the video he gives five things from the DSM5 that he thinks are just stupid. ADHD is his number one stupid thing, along with others like overeating disorders, gambling addictions, hording disorders, and others. I thought about leaving a nasty comment with links to all kinds of reading material but thought the better of it. It would just make him want to argue with you and you would get nowhere. In it he says, amoung other things, that if Leonardo Davinci can have ADHD then there is no problem and all we are doing is stifling our creative genius. He obviously doesn’t have a clue.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)