Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Do it for yourself

Do it for yourself2012-06-11T13:47:20+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Where I Struggle Most Do it for yourself

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Clive

Throughout my up and down journey of being diagnosed with add I have just realized that I was missing one positive thought process.

I had to do the task’s or project’s for me and not for anybody else; I am not saying become selfish and only complete what you want to do.

What I am saying is that through my life things were always being done because someone has bitched and complained because I have not done what I said I would do or taken far too long to do it.

This caused a lot a lot of resentment on both sides of the equation.

I was reacting to what I thought everybody else wanted me to do and did not realize that I wanted it to and if I didn’t we should discuss it, give and take is always good in any relationship.

I think all ADDers have that screw that attitude with authority (I know I do) but sometime we have let it go and go with the flow.

I have reached this conclusion after seeing a councillor, talking is a great healer and I have changed my prescription.

It seems to be working so far; I will let you know how it is going.

Cheers

Clive

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

That’s spot on for me. I have to do something because I want to do it, not because I’ve been told to do it. This can be very difficult at work. I think I get over this by owning the task. I make it mine, and I make it personal (as in the tough movie hero saying, “this ain’t business no more, it’s personal’). It was much easier when I had my own business, but I can still make it feel that way most of the time. The problem comes when someone tries to micro-manage me, or when the task is a wast of time/illogical.

At home my wife now knows, if she wants things done, not to write me a list, but wait for me to put it on my to do list.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

This rings true for me as well. At the same time, it can be a very powerful motivator for me if I know that what I am doing will actually help someone else. Curiouser and curiouser.

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

The one thing i am now doing is self talk , like theres a parrot on my shoulder wispering ” dont watch TV right now do this .

It helps a Lot .

Good news last we received our full US patent on the product we designed , only took 5 years .

Clive

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

congrats, Clive glad to see you are still plugging along!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I applaud your thinking Clive……I have always been a “Can Do” type…..the minuet somebody says it can’t be done….I’m there doing it…and doing it well!!! Don’t we just love a challenge…..

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Bill – that’s a sweet attitude to have – that helping others motivates you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)