Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Do you have Predominantly Inattentive Subtype ADD, too?

Do you have Predominantly Inattentive Subtype ADD, too?2010-11-14T15:56:33+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Inattention/Distractibility/Focus Do you have Predominantly Inattentive Subtype ADD, too?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tinkywink, I was like a little girl with erect nipples the day I discovered audio books. Totally life changing for me. I can’t read, so I get books on MP3s now. If I may, get anything by David Sedaris you can. His wacky stories will make you feel 100% normal after one story. *snort*

REPORT ABUSE

dspicelady

Curlymoe115- Are you my twin? Other than being diagnosed early-myself last month (43 yrs), I hear everything, I mean everything you’re saying. I feel the whole mimic thing too. I use the word fraud. It’s like I watch to see how people react to things, because I’m not sure if I know what is the appropriate reaction. So, I try to act like them. I end up feeling like a fraud. Unfortunately, I’m not yet at a point where I feel comfy just being who I am, because quite frankly, I’m not entirely sure who that is yet, and most of my reactions are the very things creating problems in my life. Does that make any sense to anyone? ‘Cause I don’t know if it makes sense to ME!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Tinkywink:

I’ll impart a bit of my experience with you. A friend/client of mine wrote a Novel and I really do want to read it. Unfortunately, in my hectic schedule I found it hard. And when I did, noises or family (without meaning to) would thwart my progress mid paragraph. So, what I decided to do was this: (Okay, I know talking about bathroom things is not popular). It seems the only place I am captive is on the can. For years, I kept libraries of my favorite magazines in there. So, I tossed out the magazines and discovered I could knock out at least one chapter of this novel – one session at a time. Systematically. I began this process about two weeks ago and am now half way through the book. Now, the only problem is I do not think that the Author expects a book review on a roll of paper…. LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So Captain, is the book any good? Stacerella, I about fell out when you said you were like the little girl with . . . too, too funny and I’ll look up David Sedaris. And dspicelady, I know exactly what you’re talking about–I think it must be common to us, and at 51, I haven’t figured out who I am either, but I’m having fun figuring it out.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tinkywink, the reason David Sedaris is perfect to listen to is because his dry delivery is slow, even and very droll. You will love him, and his stories about Helen, his NYC loudmouth neighbour. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Tinkywink…yeah, it is a pretty good book. So far, I am about 75% through it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Stacerella,

I do identify with your initial post. After many ill fit jobs, I eventually grew a business doing what I love. It is the running the biz (Corporation no less) I hate and wish I had the resources to have a solid manager run the day to day so I could focus on the reason my clients hire me in the first place….that is my biggest hurdle.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, WOw, and WOW! I’m kinda new to this site (found out about it a couple of months ago. Not new to ADD. Been diagnosed since I was 13 – I’m 33 now. Male, Canadian/Irish roots, blood-type O negative. Not 100% sure on the last bit.

Firstly, Stacerella, thank you for the original post! This has been a long running topic of confusion and mystery for me. Even though I was diagnosed with ADD quite a while ago (in fact, the ADHD moniker wasn’t really around at the time), I’ve often felt that some of the traits that describe the condition relate to me, and some of them don’t… at all. Not even a little, tiny bit. For example, the problems with addiction, the impulsive behaviour, the hyperactivity, they were never a problem for me. For me, if anything, I find that not only do I have pretty incredible willpower that seems almost antithetical to addiction, I can also sit and stare out a window, or draw quietly for hours, without really feeling the need to get up and move around. I’m also described as “the most chill, calm dude around” at work.

I’m also incredibly inattentive. And forgetful. And sometimes lethargic.

dspicelady, are you my twin? Haha. Strange, because I actually am a twin. What you said about the ‘mimic’ and ‘observe’ thing is bang on! I’ve been doing that as somewhat of a self-generated coping mechanism since I was in high school. I started doing it probably because of a few things. One, that I’ve always been naturally observant and tend to lean back in most environments and take things in. I’ve always like the ‘perimeter’ of the crowd, not the middle. As well, there was a time when I started feeling like I was out of synch with everyone. Not in a sociopathic way or anything, just in an odd, slightly-to-the-left, quirky way. I too sometimes feel like a fraud, haven’t ever felt comfortable being who I am, etc. The only time I do is when I draw. It’s like all the planets align perfectly and my heart rate slows. I believe strongly that, especially with ADDers, there is something out there in the world – a sport or an activity or something creative – that does this. Puts you completely in touch with what you’re wired and meant to do. Gives you purpose. Makes you feel comfortable with yourself. For me, it’s visual arts and anything creative. I work as an Art Director/Graphic Designer.

So yup. Curlymoe115, dspicelady, I identify with a good lot of your quirks. Stacerella, the point about being good at funerals… check that too.

Stacerella, thanks for starting the post. To answer your question about what type of work an inattentive ADDer gravitates towards, for me, it’s anything visually creative. My life pretty much took a complete turn when I went to college for graphic design. I always say that drawing and design saved my life:) I honestly don’t know where I’d be without it.

Cheers all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, and yes, pworhy, math sucks. It’s like kryptonite for me. So I don’t try to stay around it too long. I generally try to let other people “do the math”, wherever and whenever it applies:)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL! Math is like kryptonite for me too! I can do simple math fairly easily, but the stuff that requires formulas and conversions makes my brain meltdown! I have always struggled with math.

REPORT ABUSE

phoenixmagicgirl

I have predominantly inattentive subtype ADD. I was diagnosed at a young age, I’m 28 now. I was easily bored I’m school, couldn’t focus, sit still, wad really bad at math…I’ve only taken 2 college level math classes my entire life, the rest have been remedial. I didn’t have many friends in school. I was a shy, child who played by herself. I got and still get frustrated easily. I can multitask and sometimes be a perfectionist when it comes to completing a task. I’m very forgetful.

I didn’t have high self esteem growing up because I got made fun of for how I talked, I had a speech impediment, but now have grown out of it.

I talk really fast, anyone else do this?

I love bright and loud things so going to concerts is a lot of fun for me! I can even on my medication act silly and goofy like a 12 year old, but more mature!

Was anyone else really good at science?

Even though I knew I was labeled as a child as being “different”, I just didn’t know why, it wasn’t until my boss told me he has ADHD too. It was as if a whole new world has been opened up for me! It’s such a relief and (comfort??) to know another adult who has ADHD Inattentive Type. It is easy to sit and talk for hours with my boss about the struggles and joys of having ADHD Inattentive Type.

I have always had trouble forming my thoughts in my mind and being able to speak them, is it any wonder why public speaking can be frustrating and difficult?

I’m glad that I found this website, this forum and especially this thread…I’m glad I’m not alone!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)