Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Dopamine Theta & Balancing Act Questions

Dopamine Theta & Balancing Act Questions2012-04-19T15:43:27+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Dopamine Theta & Balancing Act Questions

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have read that the ADD brain has abnormally low levels of dopamine. I have also read that people with ADD produce an excess of theta wave activity. When most people concentrate, their brain speeds up into the alpha beta range. This helps one to plan, organize, and direct their thoughts, attention and feelings. Unfortunately, for people with ADD the more they try to concentrate, the more their brain slows down making it even harder to pay attention and organize their thinking (brain fog).

Again I have also read that given a difficult balancing act like juggling or balancing a pole on the end of ones finger, will automatically bring the ADD brain into the alpha beta frequency. This I find interesting. Why is it so difficult to focus when doing a purely mental task, yet when combined with both the mental and physical together the ADD brain can perform in the high alpha, beta range? If this is true, does it not show that the ADD brain is capable of concentration? The trick is how to unlock this ability when only doing a mental task.

Other questions:

Is there a connection between low levels of dopamine, and excessive theta brainwave activity?

Is the lack of dopamine the cause of slow brain wave activity?

What is the cause of low dopamine levels? Is it genetic?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Correct answer for this is probably lying in the affected areas of brain. What i’ve read and heard from the doctors is; The prefrontal cortex of brain is mostly involved in the decisive thinking and planning ahead being organized. The anterior brain regions are responsible for spontaneous attention like “juggling on a rope” – pretty sure there is no logic involved in that :) -.

The researchs show that people with ADHD have a less neural activity/smaller frontal cortex in their brain. That’s why there is nothing to unlock. The best thing they could come up with is using medication to stimulate frontal cortex. That’s why behavioural treatment without medications just wouldn’t work, if it’s really ADHD.

Question 2: Don’t know

Question 3:Don’t know

Question 4: Some research says that it’s probably genetic. The genes that are related to dopamine control in brain is double copied or not copied at all. Which strangely results the same thing. ADHD could also be the result of poisoning with heavy metals in pregnancy but it’s not very likely..

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

Actually, it’s not just some research that says it is genetic. It is 100% definitely genetic. This whole lecture is very good but skip to 45 minutes in if you just want to start at the bit about genes.

If you don’t have time to watch, essentially it’s clear that ADHD is even more strongly genetically determined than height!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@nanaimo

Seems like an interesting watch.. You are true on the part that it’s genetic. But since we can’t “individually” prove that this is genetic (no medical test to determine it), we should not assume that it’s fully genetic on all cases unless we have the means to prove it..

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

Nightwatch, we can’t individually “prove” that chemotherapy is an effective treatment for cancer, or that astronauts landed on the moon. What we can do, however, is rely on peer-reviewed research by the people that can compile information about these kinds of things. Scientists have learned a great deal about genetics and if they’ve established that ADHD is a genetic disorder, genes are a very important factor for everyone that has ADHD…unless of course, they don’t have any genes!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

nanaimo – yes there’s a genetic basis but over the years because of it we develop bad habits which exacerbate the symptoms of AD/HD.

Therefore in some cases there is a level of embedded ‘bad behaviour’ that, with the help of medication and therapy, can be ‘unlearned’, although the underlying problem is clearly still present. Yes – everyone is different.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is another question I would like to ask, and that is; if an ADD, ADHD person can increase their brainwave frequency into the high alpha beta frequency by doing difficult balancing exercises, would it also be possible to train the ADD brain to stay in a habitual state of high concentration by practicing these exercises on a daily basis?

I wonder if any there has been any experiments done in this area, and, if not why? Maybe they haven’t thought about it. I don’t know. Anyway I think it would be worth looking into.

It would be great if we could get an expert to weigh in on these questions.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Although not quite the same as what you suggest, I believe I read that biofeedback does not help with ADHD. . . . Although a shock collar might. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, let me weigh in on this. ADHD has a genetic propensity in about 79% penetrance. It is highly heritable, even more heritable than schizophrenia, asthma or breast cancer. Remember height is about 93% so ADHD genetics is very important. Unfortunately, there has to be more than one gene regulating the condition otherwise all ADHD people would be exactly the same like kids like Turner’s syndrome, or most cases of Down’s Syndrome etc. There is some heterogeneity in ADHD people. There are differences.

Soooo, the gene regulates the structure of the brain which regulates the flow of neurochemicals which influences behavior. BUT, the environment amplifies or suppresses the predisposition. Living in a hostile, loud, negative family will amplify ADHD even if your symptoms were mild, it makes it much worse.

ADHD people, for the most part, are built different. But no one said that different was bad…….

Now, with regard to brain wave function…there is no clear evidence that brain waves, specifically theta waves are the basis of ADHD. They may be related to a component of the ADHD profile like attention but not to the entire syndrome. Even in that case, there is little evidence to support the possibility that neurofeedback works. The literature that shows that it is effective, for the most part, has been published in their own association journals. That is not scientific peer review because they have a vested interest to support the conclusions. But the good news is that it doesn’t hurt you, except your wallet.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You said that there is no clear evidence that brain waves, specifically theta waves are the basis of ADHD. So I am asking can a person concentrate for any length of time without the ability to generate and sustain their brain waves in the high alpha, beta range? It seems to me that these brain waves are a necessary part of concentration. Tibetan monks are good at this.

I am not saying neurofeedback works either. Neurofeedback as I understand it involves the use of a EEG device with wires attached to the subjects head. The recipient on his own has to learn how to harness the correct brain waves through the use of an on screen monitor. Each person has to develop their own strategy by trial and error. Yah and what if you can’t do it? Then the next step is to blame the patient.

Why use an expensive EEG device if you can do the same thing by juggling or balancing a pole on the end of your finger for free. You don’t even need to know how harness the correct brain waves. It is done automatically. I don’t think the sellers of these devices would like the public to know this.

Don’t misunderstand me I am not saying that one should go out and practice juggling to cure their ADD. I am just bringing this up as a subject up for discussion and exploration.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@nanaimo I fully believe that it’s genetic, the thing is -as far as i know- we can’t show it with a medical test. I also remember a study which showed no significant differences with normal and ADHD brain. So where should we put that in ADHD research?

Actually you can prove the landing on the moon (if you knew how to do it, google lasers and moon) and prove that someone has cancer (treatment is a different story). But you can’t do the same for ADHD. I’m not questioning the facts, i’m questioning the methods or the lack thereof. What ADHD needs as a medical disorder is %100 accurate and machine based diagnosis. That’s why people question it if it’s real or not.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I myself have been diagnosed with ADD and agree with you that it is genetic. Just the same ADHD people can concentrate under certain conditions. I would like to know how to turn on this ability and keep there. Maybe there is a way, maybe not, anyway I think it is worth exploring.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@shoe I don’t know if it can be linked but if you think about Low Arousal Theory; you could say that an ADHD person with higher than normal stress capacity could do better if there was a fight or flight situation everytime. It also makes sense with Hunter vs Farmer Theory. But it’s not applicable to real life, where the biggest fear you can feel is getting a ticket or being pulled off by a cop. From my own experience, i can say that i’ve always performed better when the situation is too stressful or when i’m really scared. It all comes down to the “not enough stimulation” anyway..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree… I’m a mess trying to just go to the grocery store but if an emergency happens I am definitely the one who takes charge and gets sh*t done. Really not useful at all in my lifestyle! too bad I didn’t want to be an EMT or something…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)