Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Drug Interactions

Drug Interactions2010-05-05T01:16:33+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin Drug Interactions

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My doctor is changing my medication because I accidentally discovered (by forgetting that I’d already taken my pill) that the reason that the Ritalin wasn’t helping was because I wasn’t on a high enough dose. If I take an extra half a pill of Ritalin it does wonders for my concentration but I become jittery and more anxious than usual. It’s manageable but still unpleasant. Therefore my doc figured that perhaps keeping the old dose of Ritalin with something else to help my concentration might do the trick without increasing the anxiety which is already a problem. This is where the Strattera comes in.

My doctor has me trying 40mg of Strattera and then working up to 60mg per day. While she is doing this, she has me stopping the Ritalin to monitor how the Strattera affects my concentration. If it works enough on its own, no Ritalin, if it helps a bit start taking the Ritalin in addition to the Strattera.

Now, this is a whole different kettle of fish than the Stimulants so I have a couple questions. How long am I going to have to wait to start expecting results. Is stopping the Ritalin cold turkey going to be a problem like I am expecting? (I have only been on it for two months now) Is there any weird drug interactions that I have to be concerned with?

REPORT ABUSE

Donna Jean

I started taking Ritalin (20 mg) three times a day three weeks ago and I have seen very little change except I can now focus on reading. I used to take meds for anxiety but the doctor took me off of them. I don’t feel good about that. How long should I wait before I can ask to try something else?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

With stimulants, you will have an effect very quickly. If little has changed, try a different class, like dextro-amphetamine based products.

You can combine the Strattera and Ritalin together. Do it cautiously and with monitoring.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been on a 50mg dose of Vyvanse for about 2 weeks. I have been getting strong heartbeats especially after drinking a DECAF cup of coffee. I am a little scred and am going for a stress test next week just to be safe… Dr. Jain is it possible to have a consultation with you? I really need help in other areas. I am 38 and just discovered that I have ADD. It has destroyed my life and the lives of people around me. I belive that I am an intelligent individual that has been locked down by what I now know to be ADD….

Thank you..

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@iliber, please send an e-mail to Dr. J., at info@totallyadd.com. Aerin will pass it along to him.

It’s really something to be diagnosed in adulthood. I was diagnosed four months ago, at the age of 41, so I really understand all the thoughts and questions that are swirling around in your mind, because they’re still swirling around in mine. It’s overwhelming, but it’s also exciting. And the more you learn about it, the better it gets, because you’ll see how you can empower yourself.

There’s so much up-to-date information here, and it’s great to have the support of others who are going through the same ups and downs and discoveries as you are. Plus, if you’re feeling blue, there’s lots of really funny stuff in the “Videos” section. And a lot of it is educational too!

Welcome!

REPORT ABUSE

crystalsphinx
    Participant

does anyone know of an anxiety pill that won”t make u tired? i have tried clonazepam but i get sleepy on it. i am on adderall and wellbutrin and my anxiety is sky high..anyone have any suggestions?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am not soliciting for new patients and I am not taking any new patients at this time.

Anxiety is a huge issue both because this is the natural course of ADHD but because an accumulation of life stressors catch up with you. There are many “-pam” type medications out there and softer ones like lorazepam may be ok. Sometimes you might need to consider an antidepressant that creates more global reduction albeit slower to get going. Then there are meds like buspirone which act really quite differently and can be useful. Older strategies like using antihypertensive pills like clonidine may also be used. Need to consult your doctor

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I am back with better news. 40 mg pills are now available and i have been on them for about 2 weeks with no real sideaffects to report. They are not as effective as the 50 mg, but they are still helping. I am now in need of behavioural change or cognetive therapy. I would like some guidance as to where I can find this type of help?

Thank you to ALL!

Isaac.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

CBT- go to any provincial or state psychological association website and search for CBT therapists and their locations. Behavioral change might be through coaches, OT’s or mental health workers. Your local mental health agency might be able to help or direct you. The first stop is still your family doctor whose job it is to know their community resources and to source some places for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Dr. J.

I say this from the bottom of my heart, you don’t realize how far your efforts go to help people in repairing and even saving their lives!

All the best!

Isaac

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aw, shucks. I’m blushing. Well, I’m kind of brown and you can’t tell. Rick on the other hand is as white as a unicorns behind.

Good luck

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J,

Do you think CAMH will be able to direct me to a behavioural therapist or coach? My doctor seems to me stuck here in referring me to anyone that is covered by OHIP…

Isaac.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your doctor can refer to the CBT research program at CAMH. I don’t know any free coaches. Behavioral therapists may be covered if you have psychological coverage or 3rd party insurance via a psychologist. Otherwise, see if you can find a physician in the community by going to the OMA or CPSO websites.

That also applies for those who are outside of Ontario. Seek out services via your local provincial and state medical boards.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Dr. J. I also have a request. Please inform me when and if you will be accepting new patients. It would be infinte help in my struggles.

I thank you….

Isaac

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve got a huge problem! I was diagnosed with ADD as a child and now at 28 realized that I’m not coping as well as I thought. I recently had to quit my job as I was in danger of being fired. I took many of the standard medications as a child and although they worked I always seemed to become resistant to their effects after a couple of months. When I realized that my poor job performance was a result of the ADD that I thought I had under control I made an appointment to see my doctor. After explaining my history with ADD I was sent home with a non-stimulant based medication witch unfortunately had no effect. I was then given “Strattera” witch worked great, but I quickly realized that if I did not eat a massive breakfast i would soon feel something similar to severe food poisoning (hot sweats, cold sweats, severe nausea, headaches, light sensitivity and the inability to CONCENTRATE). Upon returning to the doctor complaining of the symptoms I was told there were no more medications I could try. I have a connective tissue disorder for witch I take blood thinners and because of this I am now unable to take any stimulant based medication. I’ve had quite a lot of success with less than legal medications of the green variety, but as I’m currently looking for a new job that rout is out of the question. What can I do, unless I get a job that will keep my attention all day I fear I may be forced to quit again?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)