Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Easily angered/overly frustrated…

Easily angered/overly frustrated…2013-02-10T19:30:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Angry Easily angered/overly frustrated…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

phoenixmagicgirl

Does anyone here get easily angered/overly frustrated when talking to people/working on something? I do it a lot and I don’t like to. Is this a symptom of ADD? it’s especially maddening when talking to people and I get frustrated because what I say isn’t what is understood..does that make sense? I  don’t know if this applies to what I’m talking about, but does anyone get easily frustrated over the smallest tasks…in other words, over analyzing the easiest things? Please tell me I’m not alone!

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

you are not alone!
    and i’m pretty sure it is “part of the package” ….or maybe it is part of a different package that often comes with the ad/hd gift?
    but…you are not alone

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi @phoenixmagic , You sure are not alone.

I get overly frustrated recently with my children and it breaks my heart to see their cute little faces saddened because of my anger bursts. 99% of the time it is simply overreacting and totally not their fault.

When I started the medication, it was way better. I got used to the meds and now I am back to my old self.

I hate myself when I hurt my kids’ feelings.

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

Yes, I have the same problem – it’s not necessarily anger, but more like frustration.  I think it’s because I have trouble wording what I want to say (when my meds wear off), so it comes out in a jumble of ideas and words.

@improman, I have the same problem too, esp. when it comes to helping my oldest with her homework.  I tend to just “get it,” and I have a hard time explaining and teaching the subject matter.  We both just get really frustrated with each other.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Yep – me too. My anger outburst are usually dramatic and often due to frustration. I can be a real drama-queen. However, my Ritalin has controlled that pretty well thankfully. Just need it to control focus, procrastination, etc., etc., now too!

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

@Phoenixmagic, yes, it seems pretty common with ADHD. I agree with what’s been said here and would like to add something a professional said about this: It’s very important to not let emotions build up.

For me (and my son has a similar problem), expressing my displeasure early on  (in an appropriate way, of course) has reduced the anger significantly. This is easier said than done, to be sure. But I do find that a lot of little things aren’t turning into big things now.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I could be the poster person for what you are describing

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

ADHD emotions often go from “0” to “11”, with almost no warning.

This may be because we internalize everything so much (so as not to disappoint others, by being “difficult” or “nasty”), that sooner or later, that volcano’s gonna blow!

And when it does, we feel horribly guilty about it, which only makes us internalize more.

Of course, understanding the theory, and actually using it in practice, are two different things!

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

Someone  (maybe Dr. Hallowell, not sure), described the effect @Larynxa refers to as “0 to 11” as, not so much that our emotions are actually higher than others. Rather that our hardwiring bypasses the gate on emotion others have. In other words, neurotypical people’s emotions are naturally intercepted in a way ours aren’t.

Oh, and while we’re on the topic, one of the ways therapists recommend to vent some of the wrath and other emotions is to keep a journal and write about what we were feeling throughout the day, especially about stressful and enjoyable moments.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I can vent a lot by singing.  Especially strong character-driven showtunes, like “Wherever He Ain’t” (from “Mack & Mabel”), or songs with really high soprano notes.  It’s like controlled, artistic yelling, plus you get the benefit of deep, rhythmic breathing—if you’re following proper technique.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Whoops missed it… um…. thanks for the encouragement Larynxa. I’m really just cutting back on the Wellbutrin. About three or four weeks ago I started taking just one instead of two a day, still haven’t mellowed out all that much. I talked with my pharmacist about this issue the last time I got the bupropion refilled. Asked him if it came in a 75mg pill. Nope. So I said “it’s not okay to cut them in half is it?? he says “nope, it’s not such a good idea” the dude is soooo dang happy you guys. The man probably does pretty well finantially. But I’m guessing it’s more than that. I think he’s a Bhudist. I’ve joked around with him about his name. Sounds like a Bhudda type name… Not that his name has anything at all to do with his religion. I just like messing with him. He’s got a good sense of humor. Gives great advice. His name rhymes with “You Tan”. Looks like a Bhuddist spelling. Not that the way his parents named him has anything to do with it. I asked him though. Yep, he’s a Bhuddist, I think… We’re getting to know each-other and I think he’s a cool dude. For a Bhudist. lol. Only kidding. I would never judge a person based on the fact that they’re religious or not. Besides. I don’t even know.

Now that I’m thinking of it. I kinda feel a little bit bad about voicing my opinion about the other pharmacist that works there. I just got pissed off at her. That’s what this threads about, right?. Getting pissed off?. She’s got a right to her opinion after all. Even is she is mistaken about ADHD. I should be kind enough to talk to her boss and correct her. Huh? I owe that to our community. And any other possible ADDers that she comes across, and hands them their prescription medication while so calmly and all cool like commenting about how “she’s got ADD too” and implying that she can handle it no dang problem… right? Well crap you guys. Don’t you wonder why I quit taking the ritaling last year when I was doing SO DANG GOOD!!! But nooooo… what’s her namm…. grrr

. I guess maybe I shouldn’t call her names like what I said in that other thread. It’s not that it was derogotory. “it’s the way I said it” Great… there’s an open can of worms for us to beat the crap out of ourselves with, huh?. I could go into a long monologue about how I made some pretty lady doctor cry late on a friday when she had worked something like 80 hours that week. (she was a resident, the most dangerous kind of doctor I’ve ever come across) I was way way too hard on her about not telling me why they changed one of my medications of some other pitiful excuse to intgerupt her in her busy busy day… DGMS

Now I’m all torn up inside about this (now that I’m editing my thing and all worked up n adding even more words to my post and getting all freakin comfuzed again… grrr.

“It’s what you said Mr. b Bumbleberry, but the way you said it” That! time in the hospital, and let me tell ya. I was acting like “the patient from hell”. I was in hell for crying out loud. The Hospital was even worse!. N
    not that I’m an expert on what hell is like. I just like to use that figure of speech a lot. Yep. A lot.

I had a good talk with my pharmacist yesterday and today. He’s a really cool dude. “what’s her name” doesn’t seem to be working there any more. It’s at a grocery store I shop at quite often. I had talked about another pharmacist who works at this same place a month or a few back. I remember just KC replied on that thread. But I’n sorta glad that thread slowly dissapeared into the ether of totallyADD so to speak. What if the very nice and totally innocent of any real wrong doing female pharmacist who’s very pretty still works there you guys?. Should I go home, meditate like crazy, calm myself down. N then go and give her a piece of my mind about her so nontialantly commenting about “all my friends and I have ADD moments all the time” “We’re always interrupting each-other on the phone etc. etc. on and on and on” Just like us!!!! Maybe she’s one of us!. Holy crap. What if she shows up here? Oh man… what if they’re spying on us and she got fired… And she’s in therapy now cuz I GOT HER FIRED?… oH MAN. OH JEEZE…

Now I’ve done it.

Oh… just my imagination.

great song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjcg3fFKXvY

PS. Is it just me or does it really bother you guys not being able to edit our posts nowadays? Crap!!! I’m having a dang blasted heart attack trying to bring myself to click on “Submit” I’m just not “the submissive type” In fact it really pissed me off that we can’t freakin edit our posts any more here. Our home away from home on the Internet for crying out loud.

Oh man…. O dang.

here goes…
    WML
    (wish me luck)

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Dang, what really pisses me off is getting anew computer. Not even having it for a couple weeks and already I’ve got a dang bug on here that I need some tech support to help me get rid of it!!!

AAAAUUGHH!!!! I don’t like it when I’m forced to get a new dang compute. But I can’t even run a measly video that needs me to have “flash something” downloaded and installed on my computer. So I’m stuck with this dang dumb new lapton. It’s like super fast though. I like that.

It’snot so bad. I won’t complain.

Much.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

i gonna omplane now

not really

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

My parents gave me a new computer (actually a re-conditioned one, but it’s much newer & more powerful than my 8-year-old clunker) for my birthday last week, and I’m still in the process of backing up all of the files on my old computer onto an external hard drive, so I can then transfer them onto my new computer.

Most of my files are MP3s or videos, so they’re HUGE.  This makes it very time-consuming.

I know the new computer will be way faster than my current one, and it’ll be able to run Chrome without locking up, but it’s so boring & time-consuming to get all those old files properly organized & copied over!

Also, my current computer uses Windows XP.  The new one is Windows 7, so that will take some getting used to.

But I have a secret weapon.  There’s a shell program which makes the Windows 7 interface look & function like the XP interface!  Which means I’ll have a much flatter learning curve!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Robbo, careful about changing the doses of your meds, all on your own.

Your doctor prescribed them for you, to work a certain way.  If you change the doses without consulting him first, and keeping a journal of the med/dose/time and the results, then you & your doctor have no way of figuring out what works for you and what doesn’t.

It’s like shooting blindfolded in the woods.  You never know what you’re going to hit, and most of the time, you won’t hit anything at all…except maybe a tree.

If Ritalin was working for you, I’m surprised they took you off it (or you decided to take yourself off it) and put you on Wellbutrin.  If you’re thinking that even the lowest dose of Wellbutrin might be too high for you,  then maybe it’s not the right med for you after all.  But don’t stop taking it until you’ve talked to your doctor.

Keep that little (med/dose/time) journal for a couple of weeks, and take it with you to discuss with your doctor.  That’s the only way the two of you can figure out if it’s working or not.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)