Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Easily angered/overly frustrated…

Easily angered/overly frustrated…2013-02-10T19:30:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Angry Easily angered/overly frustrated…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

sdwa
    Participant

Short answer:

Yes.

Long answer:

Almost everything irritates me. If I see an injustice or feel threatened, that’s usually enough to launch at least an internal tirade, which often manifests as a litany of disgust, impatience, irritation, fixation, and/or fury.

Sometimes I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut – cannot contain myself if I’m wound up enough. On calm days, I am likely to say things other adults generally won’t.

Meditation and exercise help.

Having a sense of humor helps.

My preferred method is to avoid social situations, so there is less going on that will trigger me.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks a bunch Larynxa, fortunately I’m getting plenty of advice. I’m talking to people much more than just here. And I’m spending a lot of time around people that know me, know what’s going on in my life. And they’re keepin and Eye on me. A lot.

I often get a sneaking suspition that lot’s of the folks in my life are also watching me here at this web site. I’ve kinda known this for a long time. Jimi has been a facebook friend of mine for most of the time I’ve been here. Never really considered the fact that all of my family n friends just had to take a look at my facebook list of friends and then come here. It’s very obvious who I am in the forums. Especially when I talk so very much about my life. It don’t matter what name or face I use here either. Huh?

Fortunately I just tell the truth when I’m here.

Mostly I don’t take my life here or anywhere else all that seriously. I don’t. Mmmostly…

Actually I do a lil, huh? at least sometimes. Then I come to my senses and realize it’s all just a big fun distraction from what’s really important. What’s important is making sure the people in my life really know I care about them.

I do that here. I do that at the real facebook. And I do it a lot at churches.

It’s a tripple win! And I talk to a lot more folks these days. That’s the biggest change in my life.

I promise to keep you up to date on the medicine drama of my life. Mostly it’s the spiritual drama of my life that people are interested in. The people I care about most. To me it’s all spiritual. Every bit of it!.

I don’t have a job. I’ve got lot’s of Bible studies going on. That’s a life long job though. Not just a career. Everything about my future is in the Bible. It’s the biggest part of my solution. I may not always share about it here. That’s because I don’t get all that much encouragement here to do that. But encouragement is not what I need to motivate me to keep my relationship with God strong. It’s more about knowing what works for me. Spirituality works best for me. Medication is a tool in the kit. Not the only tool. People are tools too. DGMD about the tools I got in my life!. lol. That didn’t sound right did it? lol. I bet ya know what I’m sayin :-).

That’s just the way I roll gal.

Love n peace to you

R-
    PS I haven’t thrown away any of my welbutrin. So try not to worry okay Larry?. You’re a nice lady. I’m glad yer here. I promise not to do anything stupid. (on purpose that is…)***giggles*** My life has never been so full and happy, and seriously exiting n fulfilling.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks a bunch Larynxa, fortunately I’m getting plenty of advice. I’m talking to people much more than just here. And I’m spending a lot of time around people that know me, know what’s going on in my life. And they’re keepin an Eye on me. A lot. I feel like I got some real love in my life. How cool. It’s valentines day and I can say I feel like people truly love me. How weird, huh?… lol

I often get a sneaking suspition that lot’s of the folks in my life are also watching me here at this web site. I’ve kinda known this for a long time. Jimi has been a facebook friend of mine for most of the time I’ve been here. Never really considered the fact that all of my family n friends just had to take a look at my facebook list of friends and then come here. It’s very obvious who I am in the forums. Especially when I talk so very much about my life. It don’t matter what name or face I use here either. Huh?

Fortunately I just tell the truth when I’m here.

Mostly I don’t take my life here or anywhere else all that seriously. I don’t. Mmmostly…

Actually I do a lil, huh? at least sometimes. Then I come to my senses and realize it’s all just a big fun distraction from what’s really important. What’s important is making sure the people in my life really know I care about them.

I do that here. I do that at the real facebook. And I do it a lot at churches.

It’s a tripple win! And I talk to a lot more folks these days. That’s the biggest change in my life.

I promise to keep you up to date on the medicine drama of my life. Mostly it’s the spiritual drama of my life that people are interested in. The people I care about most. To me it’s all spiritual. Every bit of it!.

I don’t have a job. I’ve got lot’s of Bible studies going on. That’s a life long job though. Not just a career. Everything about my future is in the Bible. It’s the biggest part of my solution. I may not always share about it here. That’s because I don’t get all that much encouragement here to do that. But encouragement is not what I need to motivate me to keep my relationship with God strong. It’s more about knowing what works for me. Spirituality works best for me. Medication is a tool in the kit. Not the only tool. People are tools too. DGMD about the tools I got in my life!. lol. That didn’t sound right did it? lol. I bet ya know what I’m sayin :-).

That’s just the way I roll gal.

Love n peace to you

R-
    PS I haven’t thrown away any of my welbutrin. So try not to worry okay Larry?. You’re a nice lady. I’m glad yer here. I promise not to do anything stupid. (on purpose that is…)***giggles*** My life has never been so full and happy, and seriously exiting n fulfilling.
    PPS Wellbutrin is mostly a short acting medication. But I see my pharmacist almost every week. I text message with my therapist, who is becoming just a very excellent friend, as well as a facebook friend. And heck, I’m even talking to my Mom! some. It’s a dang miracle!!! lol ***grin*** I couldn’t be more grateful about that.

REPORT ABUSE

pigmonkey

Yes, I get frustrated, I have always seen frustration as anger turned inwards, angry with my inability to get “it” (whatever “it” is). I know I am more than smart and creative enough. There is practically no problem I can not think my way through or around given enough time. I feel stupid, and I know I am not. The frustrations turns to depression then anger, and this can happen in less than 30 seconds. Its exhausting.

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

Hi sorry I am responding late, I just joined and this anger issue is one of my concerns

@improman

“I get overly frustrated recently with my children and it breaks my heart to see their cute little faces saddened because of my anger bursts. 99% of the time it is simply overreacting and totally not their fault.”

This is where I am now. My children are scared of me and I husband thinks I am psycho. My whole family is scared. I notice it when I am running late to get somewhere for a certain time.  This rage just flares up, instantly and ferociously. They are just smiling and laughing and doddling along. and inside I am thinking “I AM GOING TO BE LATE AGAIN”, then I think about all the things I have to do to get in the car (which are things like grabbing the back, getting my coffee, locking the doors etc.) Then I think how am I going to remember “all the things I need to do to get in the car”….well you know how it goes lol.

This all happens in an instant. And You are right “their cute little faces” saddened and scared.

Then when you calm down. You realize it has nothing to do with them. Do you know how many times I have apologized to my 2 and 4 yr old. 🙁

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Emotional regulation has to be the of the greatest challenges ADDers face. Extreme bouts of frustration and frequent fits of anger seem to come with the territory. It seems to me that perfecting the art of the sincere apology should be one of the first skills ADDers acquire. Some years ago my daughter told me she thought I was bipolar. Not a theory without merit. In any event, ADD and Bipolar Disorder seem to be close neurological cousins. Perhaps it’s fair to say that bipolar tendencies are generally part of the AD(H)D package—they call it a “comorbidity”; maybe it’s really a standard accessory. Dunno. What I do know is everybody in my family who suffers from AD(H)D rides an emotional roller coaster. And sometimes it can scare the hell out of coworkers and loved ones.

STOP PRESS: Russell Barkley explains the neurological difference between AD(H)D and Bipolar Disorder here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cw8jHUkHiA
    The behavio(u)r may seem the same, but the neurology is, in fact, different. (The clip is short.)

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

Yes! Major difficulty explaining myself which gets me frustrated. It’s almost like “I’m over it!” before the communication has played out. Defenses go way up too. I feel like I’m being challenged. I also hate feeling like I’m being dismissed by the other person.

Conversations that interrupt an action or pull me away from a thought are like fingernails across a chalkboard.

REPORT ABUSE

sketchesnscribbles

Sometimes I get so pissy when someone asks me why I am so angry. I get defensive or in some cases, downright aggressive. I tell them that they don’t need to know WHY I am angry, I personally think that them just knowing that I am angry is enough and that I will tell them why I was angry.when I have mellowed out a little. Ever have that moment when someone asks you a question that you feel like doesn’t need to be asked? Like it should be self-explanatory? Or am I the only one?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

What @seabassd said. Exactly. Word for word.

Also what @jojosephine said. The “I’M GOING TO BE LATE AGAIN!” trigger is a big one for me.

I also hate being asked to explain things like @sketchesnscribbles. One of my former coworkers used to drive me crazy with questions. I would say I didn’t sleep well to explain why I was dragging and she would always ask why. I would say I don’t know, sometimes I have insomnia. And she would ask why I have insomnia. How should I know? I just do. Saying ” I have insomnia” should be enough.

REPORT ABUSE

sketchesnscribbles

My other frustration is when I try to talk to people and my words either turn into jumbled alphabet soup or I have a chronic case of it’s-on-the-tip-of-my-tongue-but-won’t-come-out-as-real-wordsism.
    One such case was a few years ago when I took my push lawnmower down to a local auto shop just down the hill from my house. I wanted to be somewhat normal in what I was going to say to the guy behind the counter, but what came out of my mouth instead of ‘Excuse me, sir. I would be much obliged if you would kindly fix my lawnmower for me.’ was:
    Me: “Ah… Uh… Hey! Um… I need…” *gestures frantically to the lawnmower* “This! T-T-This refrigerator! Vacuum cleaner! This thing! This la-la… LAWNMOWER! Yeah… Fix it, please?…”
    The guy looked at me like I was on crack or something.
    Is this an ADD thing or something else? Am I alone here?

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

@sketchesnscribbles
    I used to think I was so good at one-liner come backs. Over the last few years it never comes out the way it played in my head. So I stopped. I would bet it is ADD. I just started with my medication yesterday. I am hoping i can be funny again.

REPORT ABUSE

zedsdead

(just joined site)

Re easily angered/overly frustrated when talking to people/working on something … & over-analyse:

OMG yes. You are not the only one. I feel, what I can only describe as, a sort of mist descend in my head and the other person’s words echo, and I feel my teeth clenching and sometimes my chest and stomach muscles tightening.  If I could notice it at the time and control it, that would be a truly wonderful thing, as it alienates people and makes me feel guilty and awful (plus I generally lose the argument and so lose S/T confidence as a result)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)