Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

False Friends

False Friends2012-09-13T20:23:51+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Bullying False Friends

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

There’s a huge problem with people who have learning disabilities or emotional issues, being befriended by people who are actually bullies and abusers.

In the UK, this form of abuse now has a name: “Mate Crime” (since, in the UK, “mate” means “friend” or “buddy”). And it’s only now really being taken seriously.

Here’s a BBC News article about this, including the terrible case of a young man with a learning disability, who was tortured and murdered by his supposed “mates”: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19009826

And Radio 4’s “You and Yours” examines the issue, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l1dkf/You_and_Yours_The_Olympic_effect_in_Barcelona_and_London_and_Mate_Crime/

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks for this. I saw the headline and brushed over it, because of the Hillsborough news. This is something anyone who works in education or with adults with learning disabilities needs to be made aware of.

My friends have a daughter with AS whom they have just sent to a small private girls’ school to try to avoid this issue in the larger comp. I think they’ve made a very good move to protect their potentially vulnerable, lovely little girl.

(Not an option open to most, unfortunately.)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Goodness…there are some unbelievably cruel people on this planet.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Goodness has nothing to do with it.

More like pure, soulless, evil.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I agree. ‘Goodness’ in this context was meant as an exclamation that is more acceptable than ‘for f***s sake’. Wasted words.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)