Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

first time on adhd meds

first time on adhd meds2011-07-12T21:06:06+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin first time on adhd meds

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

About ten years ago, I was trying a prescription Paxil for depression. I didn’t sleep for three days. So, I wouldn’t even consider going on anything that messes with my brain chemistry, since then. Before this, I had no health insurance so no treatment. Only after reading the stories on here recently, do I reluctantly consider it. My doctors appointment was yesterday. I have medical, so only the generics qualify. So the short acting Ritalin is all I can get. Whenever possible, this will be a blog of my experiences with it.

I’m really nervous about side effects, sleep for one. I’ll have it within in the next week. One pill for morning, one for after mid day.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Filmbuff1984

I started on Ritalin about three weeks ago. I don’t like taking pills. At all! But I did. And I’m really happy I did!

I had some side effects in the beginning (mild headache, loss of appetite) but they’re already gone.

Different people have different side effects.

I was nervous about the effect on my sleep too ( I didn’t sleep well before). But since I started taking Ritalin I sleep really really well! (I guess becausse I’m so much more relaxed during the day)

Hope it will work for you too!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I took it at 10:30am today. Now it’s 12:30pm. I’v been feeling more alert and able to focus. I got through the pile of paperwork next to my phone. The acid test will be if I can read through the long articles i’v been sitting on. For now, reading my email is easier. The effects are much more mild then I expected.

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

I think we often develop elevated expectations of the efficacy of stimulants for our symptoms from hearing so many people espousing the transformational effects of the drugs on their ability to work. That being said, they certainly can help get past some of our executive function deficiencies. For example, I find Adderall XR helps me stay in my seat at work for longer, not indefinitely, but longer. It makes it easier for me to go back to a task after being distracted or disrupted away from it. It doesn’t necessarily allow me to stay focused on tasks I find uninteresting though nor have I seen a huge boost in productivity.

Where I have seen the most improvement is in my driving. I have become less impatient, less impulsive with respect to wanting to change lanes, less distracted by stimuli unrelated to the road, less aggressive in response to other people’s driving, etc. I am not saying I am suddenly a fabulously driver, but my stress levels doing the activity have dropped and I feel that I can focus more on the road.

I was a horrible sleeper before and I still have issues, but I would not lay the blame on the drug.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@filmbuff: And now you’re sound asleep!?

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I took it at around 3:45pm. It took about 30 mins to get to sleep, good for me. Only woke up two times during the night. My impulse control is better. No difference in my hyperactivity level. I’m less a zombie during the day. I took one this morning at 10:00am. I’m still getting use to the new level of awareness. I’m still being distracted by noise in the environment. It’s slightly less, but noticeable. Didn’t fall asleep during the mid afternoon movie with a friend. Didn’t interfere with my driving at all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember the first time I took meds, I sat down and knocked out a software design that had been rumbling around in my head for at least 5 years. I’d never been able to concentrate long enough to get it all out and kept starting and never finishing. Absolutely amazing stuff.

I couldn’t do traditional Ritalin though, short acting would send me on spikes and troughs throughout the day. Time release of Concerta was definitely a better solution for me though they don’t make the right size dosage for me. In my system 30mg only last 8 hours, 54mg last 2 hours too much so I’m always rotating and resetting my sleep schedule. If only they had a 45mg pill :)

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

More daily blog:

Took it at 6:00pm. Thought I was going to be up all night. I slept really good. All the way through night till morning, around 7:30. I got up and went back to sleep after going to the bathroom, two times. I took it this morning at 10:00am. Getting more done in a shorter period, more impulse control. Also, i’ll do this until I reach 7 days. After that now and then.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I took it at 5:00pm. I got a lot done last night. I woke up 4 times during sleep. I took it at a 12:30pm today. My impulse control is less than I want, but I’m very clear headed.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I’m now into a regular schedule. I get a bit sleepy, if I wait too long before I take it. Everything is going faster. Much less zoning out during the day. More things are getting done. I’m sleeping better and going to sleep faster. Everyone is who scared of taking these, shouldn’t be. So, far so good for me. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I saw the doc yesterday. We spoke and decided to up the dosage from 10mg to 20mg. The difference, again, is small, but noticeable. My ability to focus is easier. My moods are more stable. Most important, reading goes without much starting and stopping. My pile of articles to read might just get done. :)

REPORT ABUSE

caper

JMJimmy: there is also Ritalin SR (sustained release) which doesn’t last as long as Concerta, but lasts about twice as long as regular Ritalin. The generic version of Ritalin SR 20mg sells for ~28c in Canada, vs ~$3.10/pill for Concerta 36mg.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I started taking the 20mg and used the remaining 10mg at night until it was gone. I’v been on the 20mg day and night for a while now. Taking it at midday works well. Taking the second pill after 6:00pm reeks havoc with my sleep. I’m sleeping an extra hour and another effect. So, I’ll be adjusting the time for night.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I was so busy that I forgot to take it for a few days. I definitely noticed a difference. It was much harder to focus and I was yawning, a lot. I’m not going off the meds again! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

Falling asleep during a film afternoon or night is not happening anymore. :D

I would just get drowsy, try to stay awake, and then fall asleep for about 10-30mins. It was often during a great movie and I hated it. Also, I’m more focused and able to read much easier.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)