Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Girls on girls (no, it's not what you think)

Girls on girls (no, it's not what you think)2012-11-05T21:20:19+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I Don't Get People Girls on girls (no, it's not what you think)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

I could have written that opening post – you’ve described me perfectly – right down to being able to beat my husband at arm wrestling!

I think we’ve just not fallen for it – ‘it’ being this notion that women are ‘other’, that men are the default and women are what’s left over. So we’ve got more to talk about and more to say than the women who are trapped in the vanities of appearance and gossip. Maybe we just aren’t as susceptible to gender stereotypes because we were ‘inattentive’ to them growing up!

My friends have nearly always been men, except for a few close female friends (who have never known each other.) The women have always been different – gifted, ADHD, dyslexic, dyspraxic – interesting, flighty, challenging. The men have mostly been geeky – super smart and often on the aspie side.

I wonder why the difference (gender wise.) Why don’t I spend time with aspie women and men with SpLDs?

Hmmm. There’s a ponderama.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Doh. Well that didn’t take long.

I need the ’emotional’ let’s talk endlessly about feelings thing because I over think everything. There aren’t many men who are prepared to do that – nor aspies either. And the aspie side – maybe that’s a good way of still being able to be friends with men despite being married/them being married – there’s no hint of inappropriateness.

That said, my husband has asperger’s and that never got in our way…

Hmmm.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Very interesting! That’s a great point that somebody made about ‘daydreaming’…I often do that, but I’m always invariably thinking about things. At high school I had a teacher that particularly disliked me, and we had a kind of understanding whereby I’d have the seat at the back next to the window where I’d gaze wistfully from, and as long as I sat there and wasn’t disruptive he’d leave me alone, but if I was sitting elsewhere and involved in any mischief then I’d be singled out for his pain in the arse cycle of payback…ie. ridiculed in front of classmates, detention, principal’s office etc. I’d never heard the term ‘space cadet’ until I went into his class…it wouldn’t be the last time that I’d hear it either… 🙄

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

:( Some people just shouldn’t be teachers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey there. I also could have mostly written that post.

You are not alone. Glad to have found this place!!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

My parents made an effort to include other-gender stuff in my and my brother’s upbringing.

When I was very little, my parents gave me a Playskool toy workbench, and a bright lime green metal Buddy-L dump truck. Both toys are still in the parental basement, and I still get a little thrill from digging them out from under the basement stairs and remembering how much fun I had with them. No wonder lime green is still one of my favourite colours!

And my brother and I both took dance and skating lessons. My brother was one of only 3 boys in the whole dance school—much to the frustration of teenage guys who ogled the girls’ performance at the CNE, and were ignored by them afterwards, as they all rushed over to my little brother (who’d been watching the show too), and fussed over him. Unfortunately, he was too little to fully appreciate this, as the teenage boys would have!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)