Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

GOOD DIET THE add DIET PLAN

GOOD DIET THE add DIET PLAN2012-01-28T07:04:37+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments GOOD DIET THE add DIET PLAN

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

NICE WEB SITE

THE ADD DIET PLAN MAKES GOOD POINTS .. SKIPS A LOT OF THE MAGIC PILL CRAP THAT SEEMS SUCH

A COMMON FEATURE OF WEB SITES http://newideas.net/adhd/adhd-diet

HAVE FUN TAKING A BREAK FROM THIS FOR A WHILE

TRASHMAN LOVE YOUR SELF IT IS THE BEST MEDICINE … KEEP WELL AND IGNORE THE BS

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

THE NO JUNK FOOD IS GOOD START AND THE REST .. MAYBE TOO FAT WAS REFERING TO THIS .. I FORGET TBH

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Cutting out junk food will make anyone feel better. That’s a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, the website that has this “ADHD Diet” is yet another of those “Prescription Meds Are Evil, So Buy Our Natural Products” sites. If you scroll down, you’ll notice that they’re trying to sell you their supplements.

It has been conclusively proven that ADHD is NOT caused by junk food, refined sugar, “yellow foods”, aspertame, etc. It’s a genetic condition, which means you’re born with it. The only other way you can get ADHD is as a result of a brain injury.

As for that stuff about “dental fillings & bridgework contain dangerous metals”, that’s all been debunked years ago. People paid thousands of dollars to have their amalgam fillings replaced, even though there was absolutely no scientific proof that they were “slowly poisoning” people. Besides, if it were true that the metal in dental work were the cause of ADHD, then 99% of the population would have ADHD.

The claim that “a significant number of children are allergic to milk” likewise has been debunked by legitimate scientific testing.

By all means, cut out the junk food, and walk more. But don’t believe the claims of that website about its “ADHD Diet”. And don’t waste your money on the supplements it’s trying to sell you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

actually, reading that web site, as i did, it would appear that they are not talking about what causes adhd

anyone who has read Barkley would know that, and they would know that diet has not been tested nor

have supplements been tested so there is nothing to substantiate any claims.

tests are being done in the UK on some supplements, vitamin pills if i recall.

the point of the diet site was that there are some food groups to drop to see if there is any impact because

some types of food can make some people unhealthy.

not a surprise, but i have noticed that there is buggerall in the way of solid usefull suggestions about what to try out

there are also not many useful websites that suggest alternatives for people that find the drugs to be useless

Barkely’s web site is quite clear on the point that drugs are not enough by themselves and that for some people with

adhd the drugs will not be helpful.

The website doesnt say you have to buy their on-line supplement, it makes suggestions about what to eat or what to try to eat

and that is a whole heck of a lot more than many of the sites i have visited are willing to do.

Canada has a pathetic record for doing much of anything to suggest what people with ADHD should try to do aside from buying

drugs that often do not do anything at all with any regularity or reliability … many of us get nothing from drugs.

The milk quote is silly, lactose intollerant is not something disproven, food allergies are not myths and mercury poisoning is not

something made up by the cattle industry so people will stop eating fish. Some shit is bad for people .. that is not new either..

The point of the posting was to suggest doing something about what we eat as a means of perhaps being healthier .. claims were not

made … some of what you have gone on about has nothing to do with the concept of a diet that starts by excluding some food groups

that some people react badly to .. like lactose, diary, sugar … food colourings and lead ..

Anyway, i have enjoyed venting and expect that no one will bother to offer anything useful to try out .. that would be helpful

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Tea….yes,well, kind of……..I agree with most everything they are telling you on that diet. I read the outline, looks right on….couldn’t listen to the Vid..too long!!

I guess it is so natural to me to eat that way……I really don’t understand why anybody would eat any other way…..unless they were trying to commit suicide s-l-o-w-l-y…….???? Sorry, that was uncalled for…..devil made me do it!!!

Tea I do eat like that, I do eat fish and yes I do take wild Salmon Oils daily as well as well as many other supplements. I know the mercury thing (in fish) is not good but, it still is better anything else around….( lesser of two evils).

I don’t use meds, I am not anywhere close to being over weight, I work out all the time (have for 30 years). All my buddies are just (just) in their 40s…… I’m 20 years older than that, folks my age don’t seem to be able to keep up, they have lost interest in life. I attribute all of my good fortune in those areas to eating clean “natural” foods…..staying away from junk, and food they tell you to stay away from in that list….. and the working out. I eat almost nothing packaged at all…ever!!! I can’t forget my head/heart is a huge factor in all this too, but….. that is another story.

I highly recommend it to anybody ADD or otherwise…take control, “serious control” of what you eat….eat for life and health….what else is there???? To me any other ingestion is hmmmmmm…..crazy, lazy or stupid……..hey haven’t I read that somewhere????

Also I suggest stay away from feedlot food………anything grown or matured in a feedlot is just a walking chemistry set……cancer in the waiting. Rant rant…..

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

There are so many conflicting “healthy” diets out there – it’s more than an ADD mind can bear – but… there are some universal truths you can see that come up again and again: Fresh, organic, seasonal, the less processed the better, less refined sugar, drink more water, etc.

Try to listen to whatever your body is trying to tell you! If a food is unnecessary or counterproductive to giving you energy and nourishment, why do you keep eating it? Why do I keep eating it? 😉

Ask yourself – what is your decision making process with food? Why? How can you get rid of the emotional baggage and make sensible choices? (No, I don’t know the answer, but I know I’m screwing up!)

-Munch

REPORT ABUSE

billd

ADD or not, sensible eating is just plain, well, sensible!

I wish I had the will-power I once had regarding food. Just too many things going on that cause me to fall back to the old ways. But illness, or health, ADD or not, ingrown toenails or not, our bodies weren’t “made” to ingest garbage and be at its best.

I do try to follow the Weight Watchers suggestions…….. which include cutting a bunch of the crap, eating fresh veggies, fruits, and allow other things, but in MODERATION. So you like cake? That’s cool – but geesh, a 6″ x 6″ slice? Uh, how about a small fraction of that?

10 years ago I lost 30 pounds, and felt the best I’d felt in many many years. W-W did it for me. We’ve gone back to some of our old ways, but we now eat a lot more fish, shrimp, veggies and fruits are ALREADY ready for a snack in the ‘fridge’. Instead of reaching in for some junk, how about keeping some good stuff cleaned and ready to grab and eat?

My son and I were chatting the other day and we decided that as soon as humans are born, it should be automatic to remove the gall bladder. Those who have had that done will understand why we said that….. ;-)

So a good diet and healthy food won’t cure your ADD, but it won’t hurt you either – some of the other stuff we eat will……..

I believe in sort of an in between – but in any case, all things in moderation.

(I raised my hogs in an open lot, not in confinement. I ground their feed using my own corn, I minimized pre-plant tillage passes and used rotary hoe and cultivator during the growing season instead of so much chemical week killers. That crap gets into water after a heavy rain.)

You want chemicals and drugs? Check out confinement systems……. WOW.

REPORT ABUSE

Chica

I am in the process of being diagnosed with ADD – In Denmark we get six hours of evaluation over 4 meetings with a psychiatrist. It is pretty clear just half way through I will be starting Ritalin sometime in February.

I got my first intuition that I might have ADD through a diet I tried in 2010. After a lifetime of chaotic eating and struggling with weight – alongside other ADD issues – I thought I had atypical depression, so I tried a diet that used very gentle intuitive methods to raise natural serotonin levels. I’m slightly embarrassed to admit it was the Mars & Venus diet, but it did something spectacular for me.

I live in Denmark, so I was not able to buy the diet product that is touted in the book, but I was able to follow the advice which boils down to

1 Go to bed at 10pm and get up at dawn or 6am.

2 When you wake drink some water with lemon, honey, aloe vera and minerals, then shake yourself awake for 5 mins to get the system going.

3 Take your daily exercise which for me was a walk in a park for about 80 mins with my iPod for entertainment.

4 Have a breakfast of fruit smoothie with hemp protein powder, ground linseed, plus a vitamin and mineral supplement and omega 3.

5 Eat lunch at 12, supper at 6, snacks if you need them and when you eat, try and choose healthy food if you can, in a balanced meal.

The spectacular difference was that my appetite changed. For the first time ever, I felt very few cravings so I gravitated to natural food and I forgot about overeating because my mind would wander once my natural hunger was satisfied. I lost 3kg a month for 6 months and felt like I had found the holy grail.

Unfortunately I have ADD, so I was not really able to follow the routine indefinitely. I maintained the weight loss for a year, but noticed that although I was genuinely trying to be diligent, I was still having problems with energy, attention, wakefulness, memory and being consistent. The initial taste of success was the foundation for respecting my own intuition, then asking further questions which led me wonder about ADD.

I think the Mars Venus diet got me to prioritise things that are discussed by Lance Levy on a Webinar on this site. My body tells me that these simple measures are very effective, but I have also experienced that they are a good context for ADD, not some kind of cure. I really think the Lance Levy advice for us is golden, and the crux of the matter is doing the things that change your appetite so you can choose healthy food.

Once I start medication, I think I am going to invest in an iPhone to help with all the alarms and reminders I need throughout the day — can someone tell me if there is an app that would do that for me? I’m not that computer savvy so I’m really fishing for some fairly simple advice.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Chica – I notice your diet is very specific about the morning routine. I’ve noticed that if I excercise and have a rice protein shake in the morning the rest of the day tends to go a lot better than usual. (If only I could be consistent with that)

The iPhone comes standard with a pretty good app with alarms, timers, stopwatch etc.

The other function that seems important is to have a calendar with alerts that go off prior to events in your day. For that, I use a PC with Microsoft Outlook and I’m able to synchronize that calendar with the phone. (You can call Apple if you need help setting that up)

REPORT ABUSE

Chica

Thank you munchkin – that was the advice I was hoping for. Hope the standard app can cope with so many alarms – I think I will be needing at least 10 a day – yikes.

You are right about the structured morning routine and I think that is a big reason why the diet worked so well for me psychologically before I had any idea that I might have ADD. I liked the feeling that all the detailed specific work of a diet was over by breakfast and after that all I had to do was eat meals on time and try listening to my real appetite. This meant I could drop the eat less, don’t do that, do-the-opposite-of-what-you-want stuff that I tried before. I totally surprised myself by wanting healthier food much more often than I thought I would, and I usually didn’t grab opportunities for junk food because there was an open promise that if that was what I really wanted next meal I was allowed to have it, guilt free. For some reason, that morning routine did have a big influence on cravings.

Mornings are a really vulnerable time for me, I tend to float aimlessly till I hit a deadline and start running late. Being given structure at this time of day didn’t infringe on my sense of personal freedom. Just lately, I have been in a phase of low mood and winter is so windy and cold just now it is too easy to avoid the morning routine – but actually, when I do get up and get going it hurts so much less than I think it does when I stay in the warm. Without the entertainment of my iPod though, I don’t think I could do it month after month.

But being consistent is so hard. Impossible really. I hope meds will support my good efforts long term, although I am a bit torn between hope and experience.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

What works for me: A low-glycemic diet, for general health reasons but also helps even out moods and energy levels. I avoid all processed foods. Other than that, meat, cheese, eggs, fish, chicken, and lots of good salads with spinach, tomatoes, kale, cucumbers, zucchini, onions, olives, lettuce, etc. – good green leafy stuff. And since I’ve been doing this for the last few weeks it also has the side effect of weight loss. I don’t get the crazy sugar cravings and don’t feel a need to “control” myself because I’m not ravenously hungry and don’t feel the stress that would normally drive me to want to down a pint of ice cream or something. I just feel better in general, and free of cravings. Weird, huh? Eating this way, I find that even fruit has lost its appeal, because it’s too sweet. I don’t overeat because I don’t feel like eating for emotional reasons, only when I’m hungry. It’s a surprising change that I’m not thinking about food all the time, either.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This my opinion…and nothing more…..

SD….your diet looks sustainable…..it appears your diet is more of a healthy life choice than a diet. I agree you should feel “evened out”…with a healthy lifestyle. It is amazing how far astray North Americans have wandered……and what we ingest and call food. Many of the food industry practices would be illegal elsewhere. The Food Industry Lobby in the US is powerful…..and do not have the public’s health or best interests at heart. So…it is up us as individuals to ensure our consumption is healthy and in our best interests. It cost no more to eat quality food and maintain a healthy diet………why would one do anything else????

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Chica

I agree that eating healthy foods helps give a healthy appetite – once you have a bit of momentum going. Last few months have been stressful though which led to bad sleeping pattern, which undermined good eating and regular meals. I’m hoping that trying meds for first time will help chaotic energy and regulating my day.

Are you guys on medication? I saw something by Dr Handelman on CADDAC video – he said only 16% of patients stay on medication after the first year- sounds crazy- why would that be if ADD is so treatable?

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I highly recommend it to anybody ADD or otherwise

LOL, toofat, I was so busy being impressed at how healthy you sound that when it got to this line I really thought it said,

‘I highly recommend ADD to anybody…’

I was thinking, ‘Damn right!’

LOL Maybe I’m getting to the ‘and loving it’ part after all!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ha……I had to go back and re-read the post……that’s funny Tiddler.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)