Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Have you ever been experienced?

Have you ever been experienced?2013-01-07T01:30:03+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Mood Stabilizers Have you ever been experienced?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Robbo

Electric Ladyland… (meds actually)

Hmmm, I wonder if I should check into these things?, mebby I’ll give it a whirl. **crowd screams YES!** But I was having so much fun!. Honest. (not)

Nope, never mind, changed my mind. Well, maybe I’ll just ask the doc. On second thought…

Have any of you guys taken mood stabilization medication?

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

What kind of mood stabilizers–things like Prozac (serotonin reuptake inhibitors) or something else?

Are you thinking you need something or are you taking something already that you’re wondering about?

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

You mean like lamictal?

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

That post above would make more sense if you listened to Jim Hendrix.

I don’t know the names of any meds specifically for mood stabilizing. I was hoping some people might have some experience they’re willing to share about. I realize that’s a lot to ask on the Internet. Maybe if Dr Jain is still around he can say something. I tried Remerol twice. My General practice doctor prescribed that for insomnia. Both times it made me grumpy n slug like, and didn’t help me sleep. Not the real me at all. I took prozac for depression for many years, paxil before that. That was part of the cause of my insomnia, so I used to think. I’m running out of clues lately though. Not in serious danger, just not quite okay. The SSRI meds were before my ADHD diagnosis. I’ve never taken mood stabilizer meds. All questions no answers here.

I’ve been getting a lot more help from friends at church, that settles me down quite a bit. I also have a couple good friends in my life close by who are ADDers, and very helpful. I’ve managed to get out of the house much more lately. Finding some kind of balance and consistency is a challenge. It’s out there though…

More recently I have taken methylphenidate, about this same time last year. But stopped after about 5 months because I was less of a clown, I like being a clown. Mostly I felt like it wasn’t helping as much.

My physical health has been suffering too, so I need to go pick up a new prescription for just an antibiotic, the physical problems affect the mental and spiritual. I just got off the phone with an advice nurse as a follow up about that, made an appointment with my gen practice doc to talk to him about possibly putting me back on the generic ritalin and maybe ask what options there are for mood stabilizing meds. Unfortunately I found out we don’t have a psychiatrist at the clinic I go to, at least for now that is. We did last year and she was really good. The advice nurse didn’t say the “for now” part. But it’s medical/medicare, so they will get someone eventually, they are always very short handed.

I do have a therapist, I’ll be asking her if she can refer me to a psychiatrist I can just pay out of pocket for. So, lot’s to sort out and be patient with. Almost like a repeat of the same time last year.

It’s a bummer feeling like I’m making people worry about me. But I’m doing a lot to take care of my mental health, and my spiritual health too. The spiritual health is a big part of the solution for me. I have another ADHD forum where I can talk more freely about spirituality. I don’t expect to get a lot of that kind of support here, and I’m okay with that. Lot’s of ADDers have had negative experience around churches and church people. They’re just as human as us, just as misunderstood as us. Just as less than perfect as us. I don’t want to be one of those people you guys avoid because I talk about Jesus. But He is the largest part of the solution to all the problems I’ve had, miracles have happened, and do happen but it’s not realistic to expect my life to always be perfect. We grow when we’re struggling, not resting on our laurels. That’s just the facts of my experience.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

I had major recurring episodes of moderate-to-severe clinical depression for a long time. But that was before the ADHD diagnosis, which made sense of my struggles and the intensity of my moods. I’m not sure what “mood stabilizing” would mean. I was on anti-depressants for a long time. Now I just take the methylphenidate, which works well for me.

I have read and others have confirmed that people with ADHD often have relentless moods. You know how you get into a head space and it’s really hard to get out? One book that talks about this problem is the green one on…dang it, what is it…the one on Dialectical Behavior Therapy? Search DBT on Amazon and you’ll find it. The whole thing  is about mood management rather than thought management. What shifts your mood. A scent, maybe. A place. An experience. Something tactile or sensual. It’s helpful to me, because I feel like my thoughts are what get me into trouble,  so that trouble is not going to be fixed by thinking more or better thoughts, but by bypassing them altogether.

FWIW, not talking about religion, but let’s call it a spiritual practice or orientation….That has made a huge difference for me, in that it brings positive results when I am consistent about putting my attention into it. For me it’s a real anchor. There are so few anchors in a world that feels constantly in chaotic motion. So I get it.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks a bunch sdwa, I’ve been meaning to ask you what sdwa stands for. I think about quiting this moniker and thinking up a new one. Many times I end up with just initials or an acronym. Mostly just entertain myself with endless monologue in the cranium.

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s great stuff.

I’ll look for some info about DBT. If you ever remember the name of that book you were thinking about let us know. Reading self help books used to be sortof a hobby of mine. Not really but nearly. We see so many things that we think are wrong with ourselves that we jump on every diagnosis that comes across our path and looks at all promising.

But this ADHD crap. IT IS SO DANG REAL, REALLY REALLY REAL!!!!!

HUH?

K, I slept like a rock for about an hour. Kicking, biting, scratchinig and fighting. Then God gave me a break from those dreams, so I’m here reading and waiting for my heart to quit freaking pounding… ugh… I’m hoping He gives me some funny ones next.  (a lil something for the skeptics to joke around about)

Prayer and meditation in the morning is extremely important for me. It’s a tricky path to take because I’m up against a whole heck of a lot of speculation, criticism, and ridiculous fear driven resistance. People love to make fun of Christians too. That’s a shitty thing to have to deal with but heck, at least I’ve got people laughing right?

I like that. Nope. I LOVE THAT!

gnite.

R

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

What a simple question you’ve put forth, @Robbo! Ha!  Medications are so tricky. It depends so much on personal physiology, degree of problem, etc., etc. I am no expert, to be sure, but I would say that getting your ADHD meds working at optimum would be important. For me, the right dosage of ADHD meds made a huge difference in mood.

I understand that’s a challenge when you don’t have a good professional at hand.

But if you think you might be bipolar or that mood is of a greater impact, then focus on that, for sure. Many years ago, I had some situational depression and tried Zoloft (didn’t like), then Paxil (which did the trick). I know people who’ve had good success with Viibryd and Wellbutrin and have used both of those in conjunction with ADHD meds.

I think the meditation and support from your faith are good things if they are helping you. I see nothing wrong with that, and I speak as someone who is not religious.

Who is making fun of you for being a Christian? I mean, is it someone in particular in your life, or is it just a sense in general that Christianity is mocked?

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

@Robbo:

This is the book I’m talking about:

DBT was developed by someone with borderline personality disorder for others who have that problem, but much of it is applicable to ADHD-related emotional issues (the brooding, the reactivity, the intensity, getting stuck).

FWIW, and I know we are not supposed to get into a big religious discussion, but in my experience, appealing to a “higher power,” whatever it is, whatever you call it, brings results. I am completely with you on that.

People do not like to hear about religion often because they have had very bad experiences with it, and this is understandable. I have absolutely no problem with atheism. What other people believe is none of my business. Many people who grow up in religious environments come away with scars and baggage that take decades to heal. From what I’ve seen, most organized religions (including my own) preach things they don’t practice. And even encourage things that fly directly against what they profess to believe. And it can get very ugly and very petty. As my husband puts it, “the worst thing about religion is religious people.” My faith forbids us from seeking converts. We are not allowed to do that. We also believe that “god” is inherently unknowable, and that to attempt to describe “god” limits “god,” who is infinite – and we are not allowed to do that either.  There are people out there who claim to be Christian but behave in ways I am quite certain Jesus would not have approved of, and they are dragging down your faith. In Judaism, we call bad behavior like that “chillul ha shem” – it means hollowing out the holy name of god. We are not allowed to act like jerks. When we do, we give our tradition, our faith, and god a bad name. It is forbidden to do so. That’s what “taking the lord’s name in vain” means – going through life violating the code of ethics we claim to value. Not cool. People don’t like Jews too much, either, but all of that is based in ignorance. If your faith gives you strength and a sense of purpose, I think that’s great. You should not worry about what other people think, because the relationship between you and your god is just that – between you, private, sacred, and nobody’s business.

The past couple of weeks have been hellacious for me because I cannot sleep to save my life. I am awake all night, in and out of different layers of fog. I guess I do sleep, because I dream I have insomnia, and I only know this because I’m having insomnia in a strange house with people I’ve never met. But the upshot is that I feel very raw and frazzled around the edges.

I think solid exercise would help a lot – sustained cardio. And on that note, I am going for a brisk walk.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

The best graffiti I ever saw was in a stall in the Ladies’ Room, in the old part of Union Station, in Toronto:

I love Jesus.  It’s his fan club I can’t stand.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I’m working on a reply, I got all comfused again… 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I’m less comfused today. Much less that I ever have been before. But in cases like ours. That’s not actuallysayiung that much is it?. Heck I sometimes can’t even see straight.  Go ahead laugh, I ain’t talking about chemistry folks.

And nobody in this camp has ever made fun of me. Not once time. Accept for all the folks I imagine in the deep dark depts of my braincranialapparatus.

His grace is sufficient. I could say that many more times. Again and again. But it’s the kind of thing we only hear when we really REALLY get desperate. Fortunately I got hit really freakin hard by a truck one day. Everything changed. Most of all I got to find out that all I really need to do in this life is to lighten up.

Get humble, and remember that  His Grace Is Sufficient.

Yep.

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

Glad you’re less comfused today. Wish I were. Ah, well. It is our natural state, is it not?

The silent mocking–I hear it too. Alas, sometimes it actually happens and I miss it. That’s pretty confusing as well.

Lighten up is generally good advice. Thanks for reminding us.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I’ve been taking EffexorXR for depression, for about 12 years now, with a couple of breaks that taught me I can’t function properly without it.  This can happen when you have depression from the time you were a child, but it wasn’t diagnosed or treated until you were in your late 20s.

I’ve been taking a tiny dose of Seroquel to stop the racing thoughts at bedtime, for about 8 years.  It is  intended to treat manic or hypo-manic symptoms, but those symptoms can come from Bipolar, Bipolar II, or ADHD.  For me, it’s more important to control the symptoms (so I can easily fall asleep & stay asleep at night) than it is to figure out what condition is actually causing them.

The purpose of any spiritual belief (whether an organized religion or not) is to show you that you are a very tiny part of something so monumentally huge and complex that you cannot even hope to understand it all.

This puts your troubles into perspective (“Damn!  I missed my train, and I’ll be late for work!  But the world will keep turning, whether I’m late for work or not.”), and also makes you more aware that everything you do is going to affect someone or something else, so you should “Try to make the world a better place, and try not to hurt anybody”.

Unfortunately, more blood has been spilled in the name of one religion or another, because people use it as an excuse to impose their will on other people.  “Thou Shalt Not Kill” goes right out the window, when someone says, “God wants us to destroy these non-believers and take everything they own!”

Is it any wonder that so many people are abandoning organized religion, when they see the evil that it seems to encourage?

As for me, I feel most spiritual in a boat, in the middle of a lake, when there’s no wind and the sky is clear & full of stars that are reflected on the lake’s glassy surface, so you can’t tell where the sky stops and the water starts.  And it’s so quiet, you can almost hear your heart beating.  The whole, infinite universe is all around you, and you’re in the middle of it.

For me, that is the holiest place on earth.  It’s humbling and terrifying, and yet, incredibly peaceful.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

One of my favorite churches is called “Church in the Park” It’s just a bunch of plain old non-denominational Christians all getting together n feeding hungry people who camp outside full time. Otherwise known as homeless people.

We all gather together and feed people. Then if they want to hear it. We talk about God, and Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Mostly we just talk about anything that comes up. Sorta like an ADHD convention… Only with food and hunger as the main attraction. We all end up pretty happy though. Lot’s of folks from churches show up and help out. Mostly we all just see what we can do to help out the folks that the rest of our society wishes they could just forget about.

I always go home feeling kinda happy, kinda sad. Mostly the sad feeling is because I know there really isn’t all that much I can do besides listen to the folks that I meet there. The biggest thing I’ve noticed in the world is that most folks want to do much more talking than they do listening.

That’s the case with me usually. When I’ve got struggles in this life. It’s usually because I’ve been doing much more talking, and not enough listening.

I bet i’m not the only one either.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I really know how to encourage folks to talk, huh?

Don’t answer that!!!

Just tell us about your “Experience” with medication.

Have you ever been experienced?  I have…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)