Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Help!

Help!2011-12-20T15:23:57+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone have real difficulties with finding the motivation to get things done?

Gah.

It feels like I have the motivation THERE…but the drive to get started is lacking. I can’t stand it.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Isn’t it just awful! I really, really WANT to do all sorts of stuff. so, like you I feel the motivation is there but there’s something stopping me. I feel like that stops me resting too, even though it looks like I’m relaxed, because my head is spinning with stuff I don’t know how to start on.

Some days are better than others. I’ve not stopped all day long and now I’ve got a bursting headache. That’s a Very good day!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Wow, you need to read my posts of the last several days!

I LOVE to restore electrical equipment like starters and alternators for classic and antique cars. In fact, folks send them to me to do from all over the states.

I’ve got a bunch of them to do—- probably 7 alternators, 2 starters and a wiper motor to restore. WOW, I love doing them.

but the last few days, it’s as if there is this wall between me and that work area! I start toward it – and then suddenly can’t take any more steps and go on to something else. It’s really bad when it’s something you normally get engrossed in and enjoy for hours at a time. But lately, as hard as I try, I have not been able to take those steps. It’s literally like a wall, or this battle in my head, and I’m losing.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I can relate. However In my defense, I think I subconciously that if I know a job will take four hours start to finish, I’ll put it off until I have four hours uninterrupted time available and I feel like doing the job. Once these two things coincide, kinda like an alignment of the planets, I can get to work and complete the task.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Exactly, it just feels like there is some kind of invisible force working against me. I find it so difficult to get things started sometimes, especially when I know it’s a task that requires a lot of work. It makes me appear lazy.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Since I started medication, I can actualy follow through and complete a project – BUT – I still find it hard to get started! It’s like I have to trick myself into starting somehow… create a pretend crisis, or something… I would definitely like to know what anyone else does to actually get started.

It’s like having a V-8 Mustang, all fired up, gassed up and ready to go, but your gear is stuck in park!!!! ugh!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

kc5jck
    Participant

< It’s like I have to trick myself into starting somehow… create a pretend crisis, or something… I would definitely like to know what anyone else does to actually get started.>

Have an actual crisis.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

“Have an actual crisis” – Well – that’s what usually does happen – haha,

If only I could create that faux “crisis” motivation a little sooner – without having to suffer the consequences of a true crisis

(Where I barely get the task done, drive everyone crazy in the process, and feel pretty self conscious at the end of the day…)

One of the Barkley Youtube videos cracks me up – where he illustrates the problem with dealing with anything until it is just about to smack you in the face (and smacks himself in the face). That’s me to a “T”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like me too, a crisis will definitely keep me sharply focused on a task, but unfortunately it also invokes the stress response in my body and that don’t go away as quickly as the crisis does. I was actually quite sick a few weeks ago because stress overwhelmed my body’s ability to fight off an infection.

Lately I have had to resort to unplugging the phone and computer – I did get my work done and made my deadlines. It was still stressful, but it would have been over-the-top if I’d had to deal with the phone and email and other distractions. So I might keep doing that, I have an override on the VOIP system we use for the phones, I can set blocks of time where the phone won’t ring at all and it goes directly to voicemail, which comes in the form of an email attachment.

I also need to work alone too. I’m very distracted otherwise.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I know that video – I’ve watched it several times as it’s really hitting home. That’s me, it’s like he studied me, then did that lecture.

(actually, most of his videos and lectures could have been “about me”)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

even the stuff i want to do because i really enjoy doing them.. i find i cant get started .. so frustrating, yeah, the videos help lots.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi all, I have been very motivation in the last few weeks I am just a few days from finishing my basement . my brother and I are putting in a drop ceiling and then it’s time to do the final cleaning and move in. this project has only been almost five years in the making. so I have promised my family that we could set up our xmas tree down there this year and I am trying to keep my promise this year.so don’t lose the dream pick one thing that needs doing and get started. I know easier said than done. but right now it is working for me.

REPORT ABUSE

caper

A couple things I do that help… when I remember to do them! :-)

1) Commit to 5 minutes. Once I get started I usually do a lot more than 5 minutes work.

2) Reward substitution: reward myself with something I like (i.e. food treat, hot bath, etc.) for completing the work that I don’t like doing.

I give credit to my wife for the first idea.

I give credit to Dan Ariely for the 2nd idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvQrqIRLGU

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

good project, trashman! we are also working on cleaning up an area in the house in time for the holidays. Which reminds me, I am supposed to be doing something else! Thanks for the 5 minute tip caper. We have no problem with the rewards, just that sometimes we reward ourselves without doing the work 😉

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)