Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Help!

Help!2011-12-20T15:23:57+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

kc5jck
    Participant

Doesn’t the reward come before the work? That way you have more time to get distracted from or forget the job to be done.

REPORT ABUSE

Outoftune

Yep! Drive and motivation elude me however I find the more I overthink it the worse it is. The more I think “Aggg I should really be making dinner right now it is good for me and I have to make food for my lunch tomorrow at work but my bed is sooo darn comfy and these pijamas are so warm and it’s freezing outthere in the kitchen so I’m just gonna keep reading my book in bed. *stomach growls* But what am I going to do at 3 in the morning when my hunger wakes me up and what am I gonna to tomorrow for lunch? It’s just too uncomfortable to get out of bed and into the cold and so many things to think about…finding the right pot to cook in in the mess of all the pots i’ve randomly crammed into the cuppboard and I don’t know where any of the ingredients I need are and what if I have to wash out a pot (cant remember if it’s clean or not) then I’ll get my hands wet and then I’ll be really cold.”

I’m working on this too and don’t have any tried and true answers for you unfortunately but what I’m giong to try is not to overthink or have any feeling about what I have to do and just tell myself OK you are going to just jump out of ben and see how fast you can run into the kitchen throw some food into any clean pot u can find turn the stove on and race back to bed and read the rest of the chapter in your cozy warm bed. This is all I’ve come up with so far lol we’ll see how it really plays out or doesn’t.

All I know is if I see a task as a long involved task that requieres alot of thinking, planning and searching for things or discomfort it WONT get done. But if I can make something into a game like timing myself and make is simple and short there is more of a chance of it getting done. lol

This has worked for me at work. I divide all the things I have to do into short little tasks and challenge myself to see how many little tasks I can get done in 20 mins and before you know it I have 2 long tasks completed I just don’t realize it lol

Good luck and I hear ya!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha, I know exactly what you mean about the over-thinking. It becomes quite a pain. Although, sometimes I subconsciously over-think…if that makes sense? Like, I’ll have a project to do with a set deadline….

but deep down, I know it’s going to be tough. And I know there’ll be LOTS of planning to do, and reading and performing to the criteria. I HATE criteria…I often just do things my own way, even though I know that I could probably receive a more positive feedback if I live up to the rules. Does this make any sense? I don’t know if being stubborn is a part of ADD, but I am incredibly stubborn, and have always been that way! I guess it’s to do with sustained mental effort; I know that trying my best to match to a set of rules/project criteria is more mental effort than using my own rules and ideas.

I’ve been having a pretty rough week. I’ve just, somehow, got so lazy. Even when I’m sat down to do my work for more than 5 minutes, I get this really uncomfortable feeling that I just have to stop what I’m doing. I get this a lot, it just happens more severely sometimes. It makes University such a struggle. :/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

And yeah, I get that feeling about not realising what I’ve done either. I feel immune to my achievements. It’s like I can’t give myself credit for getting lots of things done, because I don’t feel like I’ve done them to my full potential…or I just don’t really take it into account. I hate it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My husband and I did get a lot accomplished today, what helped was a deadline (almost an ultimatum – have this particular room decluttered and clean by midnight Friday). Will post more in another thread, either the high five thread or time management, if I can find them.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, I feel re-assuredd that I am not going crazy. I live by crisis. in order to complete my work at work (I am a billings clerk) I put a timer on in my head and stick to it. the trouble I have is punishing myself if I don’t succeed.. any suggestions.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Yes, yes, yes and yes. This is me. Not a like of motivation, but a lack of getting started, a lack of movement. YES to the invisible force holding you back thing.

I get frustrated because I think most mental health professionals, with me, have seen this as depression. It really isn’t! I don’t know what it is.

I guess….it’s ADD?!

oh, and….which video are ya’ll talking about?

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Ashockley these two videos might interest you if you haven’t seen them yet. I foung them extremely enlightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WroDEcG7tJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3d1SwUXMc0

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)