Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

help!

help!2012-06-11T21:11:18+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Joca90

Hey JimC,

sorry for not answering, I was in mess at the time, thank you for your support.

everyone:

I just come back from my exam and I passed, formally, but agreed with tutors to finish my project in next 2 weeks by sending them a small peaces of work each day. So they were very cool about whole situation.

Im still not diagnosed. My psihologist agreed to meet me tomorrow, so I will write you then about it! I guess everything worked out well in the end. My parents are supporting me, even though thay have some doubts, but they are such lovely people. I guess Im really lucky!

Thanks again everybody! I really benefited from your help!

p.s. Sorry if my english isn’t perfect, it is not my mother tongue… :D

REPORT ABUSE

Joca90

Oh, I almost forgot! I just signed for some kind of comics-animation workshop, and I’m VERY EXCITED! I’m going to first lesson this evening. Wish me luck! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Hey congratulations and well done on such a sensible approach. Good luck with the coursework!

REPORT ABUSE

Joca90

Thanks a lot Tidder! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Joca90 – well done! Now start believing in yourself and working to your strengths.

:)

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Medication makes a huge difference in the ability to focus. It isn’t something you can change with your attitude, it’s hard-wired, if you do in fact have ADHD. I used to try to do the reading for my classes and go about four sentences before spacing out and thinking about a hundred different other things…and after I got on medication all that noise quieted down a lot. They say Omega 3s and exercise can help, but not nearly as much as medication.

ADHD is a real disability, and you should, if officially diagnosed, be able to get accommodations for it in school. They can’t discriminate on the basis of a disability. But you need the diagnosis.

REPORT ABUSE

Joca90

Thanks Scattybird! :D

sdwa: I’m aware of that. Thanks a lot.. Will see what doctor says tomorrow.. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Wow cool!,

If I were you Joca90, I would consider printing out all the good advice here, the whole thread in fact. When the brown stuff hits the fan I tend to forget a lot of the good ideas I find here. Of course they pop into my head later, when it’s too late. I hope you don’t have that symptom extremely bad, but it’s one of the hardest things we deal with.

In my case it’s a matter of unlearning a lot, not all of, but lot’s of old useless philosophies and replacing them with the “ADHD way” to survive life in a difficult world.

It sounds like you have a good open mind and you’re teachable, so the sky is the limit. Stick with the folks like the ones here and you’ll have a very successful life.

Peace

REPORT ABUSE

Joca90

Robbo:

Yeah, I think it would be the best to print AND underline what is not to be forget. I am going slip from course quickly, for sure, if I really dont give my best not to. I did it so many times in past. Im not teachable, believe me! :D Yet I could say Im reasonable (as long as memory lasts on a certain topic, of course) :D

Im soon going to meet my therapist. Now Im pretty scared. What if she`s not a good one. haha Im freaking out. Never mind.. :D

Thanks Robbo!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joca90 . . . if properly diagnosed . . I hit the right meds the right time . . .and noticed the difference in two days !!! Also – therapists are great . . but a COACH will keep you accountable to get through your academic obligations right now !! You can do it. I found using swimmiers silicone earplugs (that actually I find a wee bit uncomfortable ) cut the noises that distratcted me . . .yet provided enough stimulation that the only ohter thoughts I was having was “these earplugs feel werid. . . but now back to my readings”. I used highlighters and pens in every color under the rainbow. . .

Make sure your therapist understands ADHD. I tihnk I wasted a decade with very nice listeners . . . but no real progress. Now I am going to a psychologist who specializes in anxiety and has experience in ADHD. hwat a massive difference. Don’t be afriad to ask them what their experience, trainsing, and philosophical influsences are concerning ADHD.

BUt it is a struggle – I am just starting Graduate school, now with my new ADHD diagnosis, after sailing through my undergrad degree and diplomas years ago with honors. . .but my life was way simpler then and I could hyperfocus (my classmate called me the Academic Demon). . . but now I have a son , etc. . .

let us know how it is going !

I have asked if the moderators will create a forum for University / Graduate sturdents for support and sharing . ..

Take Care

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)