Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Here's a really big part of the whole Holistic approach to recovery-

Here's a really big part of the whole Holistic approach to recovery-2012-01-11T00:18:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments A Holistic Approach Here's a really big part of the whole Holistic approach to recovery-

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Robbo

Thanks for leaving that first post for us to snicker at Tiddler. That’s Great!… almost busted my gut. :-D

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Update!

Hey!, there’s some new stuff on PBS about “micro nutrients” similar to the “phytonutrients” stuff that’s not as new. Mainly it’s about eating more vegetables n fruit. I peel the skin off apples now.

The stuff Toofat says about all the chemicals, ALL TRUE, can sometimes make me go right past the produce section. But that’s a mistake!. Just really wash the stuff the way I said in a post above here, and be willing to peel the skin off. The skin has lot’s of good nutrients, but it’s almost impossible to scrub off the wax that keeps all the poisonous insecticides, n other mystery chemicals on apples. I love peppers, so I’m gonna try really hot water… Organic is better, but we can’t feed everyone organic. Most of us can’t or Won’t afford it. I don’t trust it to really be organic lot’s of times anyway… so It’s better to eat a peeled apple, or raw beet, than not eating them at all, no?

I really just came to this thread to report that using probiotics every day, and getting REAL probiotics is worth doing if you have stomach problems, or constipation issues. I’ve been doing that. then not, there’s a difference, some… Cutting back on dairy is just not really an option for me because I need lot’s of protein, and I’m hooked on yogurt too. I eat the stuff like it’s pudding! yum. Stick some bananas in it. Let it sit overnight in the fridge, and it’s like banana cream pie without the crust. Deeeelish! you guys. I think I read somewhere that strawberry’s absorb pesticides/herbicides as they grow. So it’s impossible to eat them without getting a dose of chemical poisons. That may be the one thing I’m willing to buy organic. Then again, I could just grow my own berries in my living room, in the Jungle like section in front of my west facing window. And cheap fluorescent lights above em so I can have them all year long…

Yada yada… blah blah…

The fluorescent lights trick my brain out of getting seasonal depression in the winter. Maybe the plants make extra oxygen because of that light too? hmm. I know seasonal depression hasn’t been nearly as bad since I started doing the full spectrum lights. (not those expensive “light box” gimmick things either) just a good assortment, different shades of fluorescent, and those blue bulbs that give out what looks very much like sun light. N use a timer so yer plants have consistent light, that’s important for the plants health. Ya can’t forget to turn on lights that automatically turn on, huh?

Whole istic.

Do the Whole solution.

Feel a whole lot better! :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

g.laiya

this is taken from a dr. mercola article (mercola.com) – not adhd specific, but excellent recommendations/ info…..

1.Proper Food Choices

For a comprehensive guide on which foods to eat and which to avoid, see my nutrition plan. Generally speaking, you should be looking to focus your diet on whole, unprocessed foods (vegetables, meats, raw dairy, nuts, and so forth) that come from healthy, sustainable, local sources, such as a small organic farm not far from your home.

For the best nutrition and health benefits, you will want to eat a good portion of your food raw, and make sure you’re sourcing your meats and animal products from organically-raised, grass-fed or pastured animals.

Nearly as important as knowing which foods to eat more of is knowing which foods to avoid, and topping the list is fructose. Sugar, and fructose in particular, acts as a toxin in and of itself, and as such drive multiple disease processes in your body, not the least of which is insulin resistance, a major cause of accelerated aging.

2.Comprehensive Exercise Program, including High-Intensity Exercise like Peak Fitness

Even if you’re eating the healthiest diet in the world, you still need to exercise to reach the highest levels of health, and you need to be exercising effectively, which means including not only core-strengthening exercises, strength training, and stretching but also high-intensity activities into your rotation. High-intensity interval-type training boosts human growth hormone (HGH) production, which is essential for optimal health, strength and vigor. I’ve discussed the importance of Peak Fitness for your health on numerous occasions, so for more information, please review this previous article.

3.Stress Reduction and Positive Thinking

You cannot be optimally healthy if you avoid addressing the emotional component of your health and longevity, as your emotional state plays a role in nearly every physical disease — from heart disease and depression, to arthritis and cancer. Effective coping mechanisms are a major longevity-promoting factor in part because stress has a direct impact on inflammation, which in turn underlies many of the chronic diseases that kill people prematurely every day. Energy psychology tools such as the Emotional Freedom Technique, meditation, prayer, social support and exercise are all viable options that can help you maintain emotional and mental equilibrium.

4.Proper Sun Exposure to Optimize Vitamin D

We have long known that it is best to get your vitamin D from sun exposure, and if at all possible, I strongly urge you to make sure you’re getting out in the sun on a daily basis. There is preliminary evidence suggesting that oral vitamin D may not provide the identical benefits, although it’s still better than none at all. To determine the times of year that you can optimize your vitamin D levels through sun exposure, please see this previous article.

5.Take High Quality Animal-Based Omega-3 Fats

Animal-based omega-3 found in krill oil helps fight and prevent heart disease, cancer, depression, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, diabetes, hyperactivity and many other diseases.

6.Avoid as Many Chemicals, Toxins, and Pollutants as Possible

This includes tossing out your toxic household cleaners, soaps, personal hygiene products, air fresheners, bug sprays, lawn pesticides, and insecticides, just to name a few, and replacing them with non-toxic alternatives.

References:

See All References

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Those are great suggestions g.laiya, but going back to the OP, I really believe that the plasticity of the brain is the key to living better with ADD. The whole field of mindfulness is based on this. I think that training the brain not to run on auto-pilot would be a good way to describe mindfulness. Being aware of the present moment, our thoughts, and our emotions, being in control of our focus and reactions, these things are what make mindfulness life changing. The new medical understanding of how mindfulness can not only help us with the logistics of living, but the same process can give us control over our very thoughts and emotions is a huge step forward. The emotional response issues of ADD seem to have been overlooked until recently. I guess because of the previous focus on ADD has been on children where calming hyper-activity and improving educational outcomes seem to have been the main concerns. It’s the lifetime effect of ADD that is now becoming more fully appreciated. It’s not just forgetfulness and silly errors, but the toll in dysfunctional families and the consequences of unchecked emotionally triggered reactions that are the real tragedy. Whether it’s snapping back a hurtful answer to an inconvenient question from a family member, or feeling like it’s the end of the world because a few things went wrong, ADD tends to distort our perceptions and reactions. Confirmation by science that the brain can be rewired is one thing, training the brain to work in a different way is another thing.

Though I didn’t know why at the time, years ago I saw real improvements in my general cognitive abilities using mindfulness. Now with tools to use mindfulness practice to improve all aspects of my life, I am seeing benefits in my relationships and in the way I see and react to other people in general. It is a most profound change.

I would thoroughly recommend “the Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD” by Lidia Zylowska MD as a way to get started with mindfulness. I would stress that changing the way your brain is wired is not something that comes from reading a book, but takes time spent practicing. From my own experience I can also say that mindfulness also takes continuing practice if it’s benefits are to be maintained.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

ipsofacto, could you describe briefly what you mean by mindfulness, and how you do (or don’t) think of it as opposed to meditation?

Are the two different?

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

ashockly, I hope this makes sense. I am really just starting to see how much of an impact this is having for me, and I have to say, I can’t claim to fully understand it yet.

But, as I understand it (and please correct me if there is a better way to explain this, anyone?) Mindfulness is at the heart of meditation. It’s what we do with our brain while meditating, which is we learn to be conscious of and maintain our focus; we learn to be observant of detail and also of the entirety of the present moment. We learned to observe our thoughts, feelings and emotions, and most importantly learn to make a conscious decision on our reaction (in thought and deed) in the same way we would observe our breath and decide whether to take control of it or not. Mindfulness practice extends the application of the things learned through meditation to every aspect of life. Just as in meditation we have to consciously practice observing, feeling and controlling our breath, in day to day mindfulness we can consciously practice observing our feelings and consciously deciding whether to act on them. With the exaggerated emotional reaction that is common with ADD, learning to be mindful of what we are feeling is a game changer (at least for me).

Could this learning to be aware of the present moment and to be conscious of our presence in that moment be learned in other ways? I’m sure it can to some extent by many activities that require open monitoring and conscious shifting of focus and reaction in a fluid environment. The great thing about meditation though is that you can carry the anchor of your breath to hold you steady while you practice being mindful.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Follow up question! :-D

What would you say has been most helpful for you in practicing mindfulness?

techniques, books (aside from the one you already mentioned), guides, affirmations etc. if anything?

How did you start out?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d also like to know if anyone has personal tips or advice about how to approach this.

I tried meditation/mindfulness on the recommendation of a therapist last year, but I could not stick with it for long (as with most things I try to stick with), and I found the idea and benefits from it to be very nebulous. Since I am not able to afford counseling or medication now, I’d like to attempt practicing it again.

REPORT ABUSE

mr squabadoo

everyone interested in meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcy2jF1EXjk&list=PL4CFDABF6620D937B&index=1&feature=plpp_video

apparently we should be performing/practicing a certain kind of meditation: Transcendental.

I’ll start a thread when I do or don’t see any change in myself in a month. (I WILL practice each day … foorrrrrr suuuuurrree >.<)

Angle, wassup!

I’d contact your closest Buddhist monastery and ask that they teach you how to meditate. Hopefully you have one near by. If you don’t, youtube has plenty to offer.

Perhaps commuting to a temple, interacting with people who’re very different from yourself, and the scene in the temple would make for a pleasantly stimulating setting where your mind could wander less.

Keep us posted. We’re rooting for you!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)