Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How did/do you self medicate?

How did/do you self medicate?2011-05-05T15:10:22+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Self Medicating/Risk Taking How did/do you self medicate?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Energy drinks tobacco a gallon of coffee at least every day

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW I’ve gotta say thanks to the creators of this site it is BAR NONE THE BEST SITE FOR ADD . There’s not any weird flash animation or pages and pages full of links going in different directions ADHD’s seem have allergic reactions to these things…….way too much stimuli

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

coffee, rockstar energy drinks, chocolate, and carbs. I am now on concerta so I should be much healthier!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Caffeine, ephedra, poker, religion, nicotine… sounds like the start to a good novel.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed with ADD in Nov 11

I didn”t have the hyperactivity side of it but I had anxiety and depression from stress

Tended to isolate myself and sleep alot. Tended to overeat and gain a lot of weight

Lots of caffeine in any form

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Junk food. And good food (like perfectly done steak, and big toothsome shrimp). Also, not good food, like maple bacon, and little beef sausages dipped in maple syrup. And chocolate, of course.

If only we could get pure dopamine tablets. Then we wouldn’t have to indulge in all that bad stuff, to get our hit of dopamine (which is what we’re REALLY addicted to)!

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Wow. I am learning so much. ADD all along! And here I was just feeling like a weird-o. My mind is reeling. Ya’ll are all like looking in a mirror at myself, or seeing myself with glasses on after looking at myself all blurry for many, many years.

Um, so I have to say, my addictions:

carbs/sweets

television

the interwebs

my blowdryer (white noise)

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Chocolate mousse – cream, 6 oz chocolate, 4 eggs, Grand Marnier, and umm.. sugar, vanilla, touch of coffee all mixed according to the secret formula.

Brownies with ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Chateaubriand w/ bernaise sauce, Filet mignon wrapped in bacon, chicken Kiev, James Coney Island hot dogs (yum!)

Wine and .. … … KITKAT BARS.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

At least six shots of espresso a day, cigarettes , whiskey and gin [or just alcohol in general], terrible television shows like Rock of Love, Jersey Shore [and a few internet commentators talking about Minecraft, so fun <3] and binging… usually on disgusting food combinations [like pasta smothered in peanut butter or a tortilla with mustard and mayonnaise on it D:] as I never have enough food to make a real meal that’s not dinner [yay for brokedom!] and I don’t feel like riding my bike to the grocery store just so I can wonder around for an hour and a half and leave with a diet coke and still be starving.

Oh yeah. And an ever present cycle of hobby obsessions [knitting, dancing, starting a band, learning the mandolin, sewing, making dresses out of trash, learning the guitar, refreshing my Japanese language skills, learning one of the at least seven languages that I’d like to know before I die, starting my freelance graphic design business, playing Minecraft, online paragraph-based RPGs that I get to be someone else in, losing weight, drawing, painting, learning online entrepreneurship skills, I should probably stop listing things…] that I keep usually for a week tops and then move on to something else [there are just so many things that I want to do… and yet… don’t. “Jack of all trades, master of none.” HAH!]

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Food, mostly sweet. Before Strattera, caffeine, just to feel conscious in the morning. Computer, Facebook, potentially even this site.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve known about my ADD for two years and there are a few problems treating my situation. A lot of you are talking about using caffeine, sugar, nicotine, junk food and whatever to self medicate and those are things that don’t work very well for me because I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse in my heart so, even though I can have stimulants, I tend to turn into a major jerk within a few hours of having much of any of those. I used to smoke (both kinds), drink a lot of alcohol, eat junk food, and drink regular coffee but, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more sensitive to stimulants so they have a negative affect on me me even more now. What does work for me is exercise by taking up bicycling which seems to help a fair amount and nicotine which works better than bicycling. Nicotine gum kind of takes the edge off but a cigar really slows my brain down and I am much more able to pick a task and stay with it to the end. I know cigars aren’t good for me but I don’t inhale (really, I don’t) so it doesn’t affect my wind. I’ve tried a half of 5mg Methylphenidate twice a day and it doesn’t affect me too badly but I do tend to get a little grouchy during the first couple of hours. I may see my doctor soon and see if there are any non-stimulant drugs I can try. Any suggestions?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Food (I have an awful sweet tooth)

zone out on the internet

caffeine

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Food, as I mentioned before.

Also, I now realise, anxiety.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ricardo54 – Strattera is a non-stimulant, and I think there’s another now too, but I don’t remember the name. Lots of people have too many side effects on Strattera. I’m finding it managable 7 weeks in.

Tiddler – anxiety as a stimulant. Hmmm, must think about that.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I’m pretty sure I’ve been running on adrenaline for the last 30 years.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)