Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I'd be AMAZING at that! If only I knew what THAT was!

I'd be AMAZING at that! If only I knew what THAT was!2010-01-03T02:45:43+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Bend The Workplace To You I'd be AMAZING at that! If only I knew what THAT was!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Mike

My advice? Try everything. One thing I read is that ADHD people can actually do well at very simple, methodical jobs. No-brainers. Cause it allows us to tune out and just dream. When I was a student I had a job sorting different kinds of mailing containers at a government health lab. (Weird, I know.) And I could do it by feel and weight. There were like about six kinds, and I could tell by touch and a glance and the colour which bin they went into. I got so that I could do the job and actually read a book at the same time.

Dunno if that helps. But with everyone saying get a high stimulation job I thought it was interesting that we could also do something, pardon the expression, but mindless.

Maybe that’s why I like mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway in winter.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

great to know iam not alone ,reading these posts and relating is great just started meds 2 weeks ago filling alittle afect hoping for the big bang.please keep the storries comming .and i love reading them all .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

An ADD’er, or at least this one would be a dangerous lotto winner… Some of my current interests I want to have are cnc machines and robotics, machining, welding guitar playing and making, sailing, farming, “home made power”, inventing, my Star Trek,and computer gaming to name a few lol… Work and lack of resources are the main blocks… I’d end up with a piece of land that’s fenced off for public safety, and a workshop complex and it’s own fire truck and medevac pad hahaha

Let’s not even mention the heavy equipment play ground ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh Mike, I once had a summer job that was a no-brainer and loved it. I ended up working with a couple of other summer students and we had a blast together! Since it was so ‘non-thinking’, only hands and arms involved, we were able to talk the summer away and earn money while doing it. We cracked more jokes and had a lot of deep meaningful conversations about just about every subject under the sun.

Could I have done that job forever? No, but for those 4 months I sure made some good memories.

On the other hand, I’ve done well at jobs that provided me with a lot of day-to-day variety. Most teachers hate to do supply/substitute work. Me? Since every day was different and full of new challenges, I loved it! Of course, after a while I wanted more job stability knowing that I’d be getting a full pay cheque as opposed to only a partial one (what? no sick teachers this week?? THAT won’t pay the bills).

When I started doing Special Ed. I found each day was exciting and different. Will someone smash the windows in the classroom today or throw a computer or will I just have to deal with teaching a bunch of regular old lessons?

In fact, now that I think about it, the rest of the staff was always amazed at how calm I was on the wild days. They would be running around flapping their arms asking me HOW I could be so calm. I’m sure it was my ADD. Adrenaline was my drug of choice back then and it sure worked well. Not that I’m recommending that we ADDers need to go creating our own adrenaline rushes to keep us calm and on=track. Sure does help make our lives interesting….

I guess it is all a matter of looking around for a job that is somehow or other connected to something we like/love to do and provides enough of whatever it is that we need according to our particular ADD issues. The more hyper of us may need constant change/crisis type scenarios to keep us going or conversely, maybe a super boring job so that we can ‘mind surf’ while we complete our work. The last option only if we want to poke our eyes out after a few years…..

The ADDers who are primarily the inattentive types might do better with a job that provides just enough stimulation to keep them ‘awake’ and focussed on the job without allowing their mind to wander off to the far reaches of some other planetary system, leaving their job undone.

It’s not easy finding that perfect combination. BTW, once upon a time long long ago, people started in one job and stayed there for life. Nowadays, it’s totally uncommon for anyone to stay in one job or career field for life and that includes even NON ADDers. For once, we’re just like everybody else!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I find when I read these posts I have a little chuckle to myself in that I recognize ‘me’ in there somewhere! I can empathize with lots of the posts and also have had varied careers, though inevitably I do get bored and look to re-train or just create a new challenge if there isn’t one for me. I have worked as a youth worker specializing in working with ‘challenging’ youth, a career counsellor, an outdoor guide and now I work as an EMT and run a first aid training company (though not very well due to the paperwork issue!). I love my job as an EMT, days can be waiting for a call to allow me to do paperwork, read, watch TV or driving with lights and sirens, it changes every single time and I think this is what I love, when it comes to a stressful situation for most, it never seems to bother me. My other passion is teaching, I’m good at this and often I am told it was the best class they attended, but then I have to submit their data to my organization and write them certificates, post them etc… Take the time to find work that is often different (type of work or location), allows independence, allows progression and makes you smile when you turn up and doesn’t allow you to grumble when the alarm goes off ;) I will agree with zsazsa above that no longer is it expected we have a job for life, the average is around seven to eight! So some of you might have more to go!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This link may be of some use to you too. It discusses the fire department and the potential that some of its employees are ADHD… http://firechief.com/mag/firefighting_lazy_crazy_stupid/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all! Boy, it’s been over a year since I’ve been here!!! Well, interestingly, having been on Adderall XR for some time (and recently discontinued use of – more later on this), I had found a new job as a Sales Manager – in keeping with my career path thus far – but lo and behold, my job is yet again in jeopardy.

HOWEVER! This time, it is not through any mistake, misstep or fault of my own. The company is going through a massive restructuring (which I am a part of oddly) and it looks like I’ll be made redundant. It has led me though to take a longer, broader look into my history with employment. My wife (yup, got married this July) had some very interesting comments on her assessment of why I seem to be at a job for no more than 2 years at a time. I have always been very self-judgemental about why I “couldnt maintain a job”. Thought it was something I was or wasnt doing. In retrospect, my wife tagged the recurrance of me being hired by companies who were in enormous transitionary periods of their lifecycle. Hmmm…go on my love…She expressed the opinion that for whatever reason the Universe has deemed necessary, I am placed within these situations to assist the transition because whatever energetic resonance I exude, is needed by the people I come into contact with during my tenure with the company.

Wha??? Hang on. So what you’re saying is that I’m being placed in this situation because a person (or people) in this company need to learn something from me to aid their own transitions? Well that bloody well sucks! What about mine!? Then it hits me: truly, some of us are here as teachers, leaders, guides, etc. If I look back over the span of my adult life (indeed, most of my memorable childhood too), I have gravitated towards situations or positions of leadership. Having ADD, I am able to navigate chaos more easily with minimal collateral damage, more than most can. I’m curious to know how many of us here have been in similar positions or situations.

Having ADD, I am convinced that we are able to ‘tap into’ areas of intelligence or creativity that are hidden to most others (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it…btw, anyone else feel that when writing, parenthesis are their best friend?). Does this ability or “energetic resonance” have any bearing on our influence on others or situations? Are bosses intimidated by people like us? Are people naturally drawn towards us because we ‘know’ or ‘feel’ or ‘exude’ something that they need/want/don’t understand?

So many questions…

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Interesting – I enjoyed your post – and see myself here and there in it. In fact, my employment has followed a similar pattern, and when I’m done “cleaning up” I get bored and want to move on. (unless, there are other reasons to move on……)

I find some bosses are indeed intimidated by folks like us. In fact, I find that now where I am at. One job I had, I now believe my boss was himself ADD (he’d never admit it, though) and we really clicked.

>>I am able to navigate chaos more easily with minimal collateral damage, more than most can<<

I’ve been through so much, it doesn’t hurt for very long, I pick myself up and brush myself off and move on.

My wife (my third) says that everything I have done or been through, every job I’ve had, has been a step along the way and has prepared me for the next, usually better and higher step. That without any of the prior, none of this could exist. Somehow it makes sense (and is a good feeling). As she’s a country girl with no college education she calls herself “not very smart” and yet, she has these flashes of brilliance, great ideas and suggestions (and she was an honor student in school with good grades). so I give her a virtual “slap” when she talks like that, telling her I’d never marry anyone dumb.

Anyway, on the chaos – when a major financial company I used to work for was hit hard by the code red worm, taking down their servers, etc. – I was the antivirus person (I had warned their web people of the impending doom, and they ignored me, saying they’d be fine… guess how it got in – their servers) anyway, I was there from my normal start time of 6:30am until about 1pm the following night going at it hard directing the efforts, suggesting next moves, basically coordinating traffic in the disaster when a company officer walked into my work area and hesitated a moment then said “you look like you really enjoy all this!” I had a cool head, they were panicked.

In high school and in college (and in fact, at a couple of later jobs) I was told by one of our college profs that I was “a leader” and that the “other students look up to you for guidance and leadership”

That scared the #$@% outta me! No way, me no leader. nope, don’t like that role, and yet, it seems to follow…. ug. Man, I can’t even guide my own life or lead myself down a good path, be responsible for them, too?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“when I’m done “cleaning up” I get bored and want to move on” – yup, that’s me. clean up the accounting records and look for something more challenging.

I never worked anywhere for longer than 2 years except my first and last jobs (before I ended up being self-employed about 6 years ago). The first and last jobs lasted exactly 5 years. They were good jobs, I just didn’t fit anymore, couldn’t fit into the company culture, couldn’t move up (I was a supervisor in the last job but being female working for a Japanese auto company meant no promotion) was a workaholic, said and did the wrong things at the wrong time, struggled with deadlines and stress, never got fired but knew I wasn’t cut out for the long term so I always found another job to go to. Many jobs in my lifetime, none lasted.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I had two very good employers. The first was installing computer control systems to run a pair of chemical plants they were constructing. I worked with two other extremely intelligent, competent, and dedicated people as more or less an equal in programming an operator interface with the computer. We traveled a lot and had a lot of fun together. That was thirty five years ago and we still communicate occasionally. After two years I was offered a job with a consulting firm.

I was at that job for nine years travelling around the country working on computers and “cleaning up other people’s messes.” It was like changing jobs every couple of months. The people at that job were even better than at the first. I have been truly blessed to have worked at those two places.

After leaving the second job, I got married and messed around at a variety of things for about twelve years before starting a business which I still own today, although I only work about six hours a week, mostly from my home. I have employees to do most of the work and all the things difficult for the “ADD compromised.”

I’ve had several expensive “failures” in business and investing, but overall am living a life of which many would be envious. (I hope you guys don’t hate me for it.) I have, I suppose, like most others on this site varied experience which I feel allow me to give insights and advice in certain areas and although I am in need of the same in others.

I enjoy reading the posts from everyone and wonder from day to day how all of you are managing. I hope you all survive the holidays and have a new year that brings only good into your lives.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

hate you for it? No, I’m truly happy for you. I think if a few knew what I made, considering my college education is an AA in automotive mechanics and technology, and the home we have and shop I have, it would tick a few folks off. Not that our home is BIG, it’s not, it’s really small, even for just two (1100 square feet and rather ordinary, but it’s in nice shape)

Granted a lot of this might change in a few months as the state trims the work force and lays folks off, and IT is consolidated to the state IT Enterprise, but until that happens, here I am. I’ve been unemployed before, I’ll live through it and come out of it better, at least in mind.

This is the longest I’ve ever worked any where, and the longest I’ve ever lived anywhere except where I grew up. 7+ years, it’s a miracle! (especially after the events of 1 year ago)

I’m currently looking for something different, more interesting, as I can see the writing…… and I’m very bored at work lately, very.

I’ll never begrudge anyone else their successes. If you are successful, if you make money, why should I hate someone for that? I might have bits of envy here and there, but if that happens, it’s MY problem, and no one else’s. It simply means I”m forgetting my upbringing for a while.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

kc said “messed around at a variety of things for about twelve years before starting a business which I still own today, although I only work about six hours a week, mostly from my home. I have employees to do most of the work and all the things difficult for the “ADD compromised.” helpful, thanks.

I have always had a lot of talents, but couldn’t find a job that really allowed me to use them all. So the urge or inclination to do something else would always start to present itself. The official job usually got easy and boring for me, or there would be one aspect that I just couldn’t figure out and that would totally stress me out trying. I have never been fired, the urge to do something else would manifest before I ever completely lost interest, so I have never been out of a job except by choice. I’m also allergic to authority, and don’t work well without structure.

I finally found the job that suits me, working for myself, doing a lot of different and creative things, flexible hours, capitalizing on some of my weaknesses in other jobs (like – I always wanted to do THAT job), and capitalizing on skills that I never got to use in other jobs (like web and print design, for example). I’m kind of embarrassed to post about it. But posting helps me recognize that I did eventually find a job that suits me and that I’m good at. I just don’t want to grow it so I have the responsibility of other staff because I recognize that I’m a lousy supervisor/manager (I’m not very good at managing myself) or the responsibility of a big commercial lease.

I’ve gone through the exercise of looking at what I do in my business and seeing if I can hire someone or farm it out, and so far the answer to that is a big NO, except for the parts that my husband is willing to help with. We had an employee-of-the-year luncheon yesterday for the two of us :P (not sure who won the award).

I think the problem for me is that if I get others to do the work, I’ll lose focus on the business because I’ll want to be doing something else. My business IS the something else I would have been distracted by 8)

But the other side of that is that I don’t know how to do “down-time”.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)