Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Increase in Meds Needed?

Increase in Meds Needed?2010-06-09T03:27:46+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Increase in Meds Needed?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just recently got diagnosed with ADD and got put on Adderall. I have been on for just over a month now and thought I was doing good with it. Than a friend told me about this site and so I came here and took the quiz and discovered I have practically ALL of them still with being on Adderall!

Should I go back to the psychiatrist and ask him to change my medications? Would that make me feel better and more level minded?

Please keep in mind that I am in Canada so some drugs are not approved up here as they are in maybe the USA or other places.

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

No worries. This site is based in Canada, so we know all about which drugs are approved here, and which aren’t. ;-)

You need to discuss your experience and concerns about your medication, with your psychiatrist. The trouble with medications for mental conditions is that they’re never “one-size-fits-all”. What works for one person may not work for you, and vice-versa. And it’s not just a matter of finding the right drug(s), but finding the right dose(s) of them. So Adderall may be the right drug for you, but your current dosage isn’t right. Your psychiatrist will probably want to try adjusting the dosage before trying a different drug. Never try to do this experimentation yourself. It must be done under medical supervision.

I was only diagnosed a few months ago, myself, so I’m going through this “fun” process too. Keeping a journal of dosages and their effects on me (good and bad) really helps me and my psychiatrist to evaluate what’s working and what isn’t, and to determine what to try next.

Also, remember that medications are just part of treatment. They won’t suddenly make you function; they’ll just make it easier for you to take the steps you need to, in order to function better than you are now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well it has been a while since I have been here! Been busy doing stuff! I did go to my dr today and told him what was going on and not gong on. I am told him I feel like I am totally wired and have tons of energy but still do things like follow simple instructions at work and such. So instead of changing the dosage of Adderall, he said that it can have that effect on adults so he put me on Concerta and told me to try that for a month and come back to see him and see how things are going.

So I will take my first one tomorrow, probably not a good time as I am in a really stressful situation at the moment and will probably be taking a lorazepam tonight and tomorrow. Have to go research some about the effects of the two though. Don’t want to screw myself up too if the two won’t mix good either!

I am just new to this forum but will try and make it back more, just have not had time lately! Being hyper makes you want to paint huge decks and wash 30′ foot campers all by yourself I guess! :P

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good reading! Wondering if uping the meds is necessary (common) and is there a plateau effect with concerta?

I notice a difference but feel like it is ‘wearing of” a bit. I am on 54 mg concerta. Any similar experiences?

elisa

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve just begun to feel better about how my brain is working. My thoughts and dreams were very chaotic, I am now on Concerta 36mg and for once my brain is calming down. Thanks to Totally ADD I went to my Dr. with my virtual test results on paper. I was in tears when I asked him to help me. He wrote out a proscription for Concerta after looking at my print out. My work life has improved. My focus is sharper. I’m on my way now to learn things I would not have tried to learn before. I also want to up the strength. I’ve been on Concerta for one month. Elisa how long have you been on Concerta?

REPORT ABUSE

gracious

To elisa~

I joined this site in search of a support network as well as to research information about medications. I was prescribed 36 mg. Concerta at the end of April. (the extended release) Initially, it seemed to “change my life”. My focus was sharp, my social skills improved, my confidence improved, and I was even able to be far more patient and calm with my 3 small kids. Fast forward one month, I was prescribed a second pill to take late afternoon, as I struggled with the 4-5 p.m. chaotic time of day. It also seemed to help a lot, although I went through about a week of insomnia, but that subsided. Fast forward another month, I really feel like it has plateaued. I almost wonder if I didn’t take it one day if I would even notice. I wondered if maybe my dosage should be upped, although technically I should only have to take one a day as it’s supposed to extend over 12 hours. My dr. thought maybe my body just metabolized it faster. I’ve heard good things about the ER Adderall, and I’m seriously considering asking my doctor if I can switch.

Also, I would like to add that somewhere in between all of this, the pharmacist gave me generic pills. They did not work AT ALL, and once I started researching I went back to my pharmacist and requested the brand name Concerta. It costed me a fortune, and even though it’s not working like it did at first, it does help a little.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Similar experiences?

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

I would speak to your Doc about an increase first, I think. When I was using Concerta, my Doc split the dose for me to alleviate winding down in the PM. I was on 90 mg per day, 54 in the the AM and 36 in the PM. That worked.

I’m now on Vyvanse and it’s working better for me. It did take a while to get the dosing right for the Concerta, but once at the right dose. it was fine. The change to Vyvanse was in response to my complaining of lack of energy.

With any of this stuff, one-size-doesn’t-fit-all.

BTW, I have also read information about generic Concerta and there are a lot of people with a similar experience with the generic “not working as well”. Concerta has a pretty sophisticated delivery system that allows it to perform the way it does. Even though the chemical compound is the same in the generic, the method of dispersing the medicine doesn’t work the same the way. This can be the reason why the generic doesn’t perform as well.

You can have you Doc specifically prescribe Concerta by writing “no substitutions” on the script. In the US, the manufacturer has a support program for people that cannot afford Concerta, I don’t know if a similar program exists in Canada for those who don’t have a prescription drug plan or other coverage. The Vyvanse would cost me about $8 per day, but, fortunately my plan covers this. But even if I didn’t have a drug plan, I would still use Vyvanse as the benefits are worth the cost.

It’s kinds funny the insurers refer to it as a “drug plan” instead of a “medicine” plan or pharmaceutical plan” as if trying to make us feel like we’re junkies, you know “Drugs are bad, m’K” (Mr MacKee from the TV show South Park). Subtle, or what?

Hope this helps…and good luck,

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

ADDled, the “Concerta drug plan” is available in Canada. It covers the difference between what Trillium pays and what the drug actually costs.

As for “No Substitutions”, your doctor must HAND-WRITE it on every prescription, because in many places (including Ontario), pharmacists can ignore it if it’s rubber-stamped or mechanically printed on the prescription. But if the doctor hand-writes it, then they have to obey it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Check out our videos on generics. The problem is that even if you write “n substitution” all it does it forces the pharmacist to tell you that there is a difference in price and that your insurance company may not pay for the difference. If you choose the generic due to cost, you may not be getting bang for your buck. However, cost is an issue. Janssen-Ortho has a coupon program to pay the difference so talk to your doctor.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)