Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

indecisiveness

indecisiveness2013-01-27T11:52:01+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Other indecisiveness

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

phoenixmagicgirl

Does anyone here struggle with being indecisive? It drives me mad at times! I can’t stand to go shopping for anything, much less with anyone else because they get so frustrated that I can’t make up my mind! LOL

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Alphabetical order.  Can’t remember where I heard this, but it helps me in matters of less consequence, such as “Which restaurant shall I go to?”

For example, one starts with “B,” the other with “M.”  “B” is first in the alphabet, so I shall go to “B.”

If I have a very strong, immediate reaction of, “But no!  I want to go to “M!”  Well, then, my mind’s still made up, isn’t it?

Even when you don’t take the alphabetical choice, the tactic works because it helps you to clarify and know your feelings without agonizing over it.

Or maybe it just helps me to make the decision because it gives me something to stamp my foot at and say “No” to?  Sometimes I like to be contrary.

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

YES!  I’m so bad about the “but what if?” questions running through my head when I’m trying to make a decision.

Amy

http://acatwithadhd.com

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Indecision is my middle name!

Well, till I think of a better one. 🙂

But truly this has been a lifelong problem for me. I examine everything at every angle and when I’m done I’m more stuck than when I started. I used to spend hours at the grocery store, going up and down every aisle, pondering every potential purchase down to the last pea. I won’t even go into how agonizing the Actual Decisions (school, career, relationships) have been over the years.

Did I mention I’m Inattentive Type, and not Hyperactive? 🙂

Funny thing is that with the ADD diagnosis and meds I’ve noticed myself becoming more decisive, but it still sometimes feels overly impulsive to me. Which is weird – like I almost feel more ADD than before, because I’m making purchases without so much research and far less self-justification. And I’m not sure how well it’s working – Time will tell if I actually use that sewing machine, I guess. It arrived more than a week ago and it’s still in the box….But I’m definitely feeling like I’m in an adjustment period when it comes to decision-making these days.

Which is another way of saying I can’t decide how I feel about it, I guess. AAARRGG!

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

quizzical – I noticed the same thing with my med too!  You described my experience to a T.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

While you’re struggling with it, you might as well laugh!

http://totallyadd.com/movie-night/

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

I did laugh – especially at the bit where Rick pulls a movie off the shelf only to discover the box is empty. On top of every player in our house is: 1) a pile of empty DVD cases and 2) a pile of DVDs. It drives my husband CRAZY – and me as well, when I notice it, even though I’m the culprit!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

How many DVD-Rs do you have piled up, waiting to be finalized?

I have about 75 of them.   At 5 minutes to finalize each DVD, that adds up to 6.25 hours!

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

The real question is, how many shows do I still have on my DVR hard drive waiting to be watched/deleted/burned onto a disc! 😀

56 and counting….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have 2 3-ring binders which were designed to hold 120 DVD’s each full, and in no particular order. Then I have a couple spindles full of recorded DVD’s that have no special place. Trying to find a movie in a spindle of 100 DVD’s, without leaving 85 of them laying on the table? Priceless.

I think I have a problem with being TOO decisive. I’ll make a choice, and have a death-grip on that until the bitter end, even to the point of folly. At the same time, never ask me where we should eat, we’d all starve to death before I’ll decide! The fun never ends!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Choosing where to eat is much easier when you have a gift card for a particular restaurant.

Unfortunately, that restaurant is usually one that has a menu with over 100 items on it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)