Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

It doesn't exist

It doesn't exist2014-07-18T13:01:44+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

aditi

I’m waiting for my first diagnosis (quite eccentric at 34 😉 and i wanted to tell my close friend about it, becaue it seems like things finally make sense and i have a chance to deal with my life better. I was always very understanding about his many many issues. When i mentioned my most likely diagnosis he replied with ‘but ADHD doesn’t exist. Everyone has states like that in certain conditions. Everyone has some kind of dysfunction, you’re no exception’. It was like he totally dismissed my attempts to actually get better and treated it as a way to feel special. Not something i would expect from a friend.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

You have to realize that I am an “in your face” type of person. I have ADD and Autism so I tend to tell people what I am thinking at the time, with very little filtering (unapologeticly frank).

I was trying to explain to a friend of mine, my situation and how my conditions affected my life. He responded to me in almost the exact same words. Makes me wonder if they saw the same documentary.

I told him ” Wow! Did you know in one sentence you just discounted over 120 years of diagnoses, and over 4000 independent studies on the subject, by the top minds in the field? I didn’t know you were that smart.”

It took him a while to figure out, I was not pleased with his statement, but we started talking about it.

REPORT ABUSE

aditi

Haha, i might use it the next time then, I guess we just have to be ready to face that kind of thing 😉

Another friend told me that if i got into a difficult life situation  i would find a way to focus, and just ‘stop being distracted’. I told him he could just give me a good example first and ‘just stop stuttering’ 😉

REPORT ABUSE

friendlymathematician

I’ve had plenty of people tell me that it doesn’t exist without me giving up the fact I’m ADHD. Since it doesn’t exist, I don’t have a disorder. Therefore, there’s nothing different about me.

Personally, I like keeping them in the dark. Much safer that way.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)