Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Left my car running while I had lunch

Left my car running while I had lunch2011-04-05T03:34:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Dumbest Thing I've Done Left my car running while I had lunch

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

The car was in the restaurant parking lot while I had a leisurely lunch with my daughter. Lucky for me there was plenty of gas!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

My grandfather did that at the Seattle World’s Fair. LOL ADD does run in the family!

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Wow. Had to comment because I did that – left my car running, with the keys in it, unlocked – while grocery shopping. I was amazed the car was still there when I got back.

REPORT ABUSE

angela1marie

Haha, I can empathize : ) I’ve done something similar. I was studying at Starbucks about a year ago, and I  left my car running the entire study period (circa 2 hours). The embarrassing part was, I had all the staff at the coffee shop help me search for my car keys.   When I went outside to double check that they weren’t somehow left in my car, they certainly were…engine revving was an invariable sign…#adhdproblems. We’re all lucky our cars were still in the same place.

REPORT ABUSE

Blue Yugo

I’ve left my wallet on the seat overnight with the windows open.  Lucky it was there as I’d left it come morning…nothing missing.  Left the car window open in a parking garage in the bad part of town…no one bothered it thankfully.  Then, over the winter I parked my doesn’t-go-in-the-snow car at a friend’s house, and left the window open on a day it snowed.  Hadn’t left the keys with him, so I rushed to his place from work to close them.  The power windows still work, so I guess I got away with that one.  I’m very protective of my cars, so luckily I don’t have too many ADD misadventures with them.

REPORT ABUSE

darktendril

Lmao I have also done that…. looked everywhere for my keys, only to find them still in the ignition, car running.  I have also locked my keys in the car, with the car running and gas tank on Empty (I usually wait til the Empty light comes on, then drive some more, before I get gas. Is that ADHD? Or just stupidity lol?).  Anyway, I get great value from my AMA Roadside Assistance plan 😉

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

blackdog

I don’t drive. I just kind of forgot to get my licence for a few years. Then I didn’t bother because I couldn’t afford a car. And then I started thinking maybe driving would be to dangerous for me, and everyone else. I have been planning to get my licence for a few years now just for convenience so that I can drive if I need to. But again, I keep putting it off.

Nevertheless, I have had my share of vehicular mishaps. Hitting my head when getting in and out of the car, slamming the door on my fingers, forgetting to lock the door or roll up the window etc. And I’m terrible at giving directions, telling people to turn right then realizing at the last minute that was wrong and shouting “no, left!” Or I get chatting and forget to tell them when to turn.

And I can’t count the number of times I’ve  nearly been run over crossing the street at the wrong time or walking across a parking lot oblivious to the cars around me. It doesn’t happen as much now as when I was younger because I have learned to stop and give my full attention to my surroundings when I am in danger of being road kill.

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

Yesterday I baked a cake…when the timer went off i went to go and get it…it wasn’t in the oven…it was still on the counter..batter in pan.

Oh ya and three days ago, after I came out of the store, I had thought my house key (which detaches from my car key) had fallen of in the store. I grabbed my two year old (well past nap time) and searched the whole store for an hour. Then searched my car for another half an hour. I thought of how I could break in my home. Got home and it was in the door.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@jojosephine– Nice to know I’m not the only one who does that. Though I am better known for forgetting that it’s in the oven. Especially if it’s something that has a long baking time. I do better with cookies because I can just stand in the kitchen until they’re done. Although I have burned quite a few cookies over the years too.

For awhile every time I left the house Husband asked if I had my keys. And if I opened the door when we came home he checked to make sure I didn’t leave my key in it.

I had to call him several times from work to get him to bring my keys so I could lock up. Or send him home in the morning to get them so I could open up.

And when I lose my keys and spend an hour frantically searching the house, tearing the couch apart, checking every pocket…..9 times out of 10 they’re in my purse.

REPORT ABUSE

Blue Yugo

Yeah, today I called one of my credit card companies in a hurry because the bill is due and I still haven’t gotten my new card and new account number (they switched me to another bank). After getting the account cancelled, a new card en route, and a payment over the phone sans a transaction fee….I went downstairs and there was the envelope with my card in today’s mail, just tossed atop a growing pile of junkmail and I’d ignored it.  Oops.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I have mail from months ago I haven’t opened. And stuff that still comes in my dad’s name because I keep forgetting to call them and tell them he is deceased.

I also have some paychecks around here somewhere from about 10 years ago that I never cashed. I love direct deposit.

REPORT ABUSE

wanderquest

I have locked my keys inside a running car three times. The number of times I’ve locked them in a not running vehicle are in the dozens. I had many many extra keys made to my truck in high school and gave them to my friends and put extras in my purse, backpack, hide-a-key stuck the the wheel well. I sold that truck 7 years ago and just found three keys for it in a cup on top of the fridge this week.

I think keys are a huge problem for ADHD. It’s been a pervasive problem my entire life. Before I could drive I forgot my house keys so much that I figured out a way to pick the lock to our home. I lose my car keys so much it’s just absolutely absurd. I think if you put your keys in the refrigerator more than say six times in a lifetime, there’s probably something not firing right.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Never mind the keys,  I once misplaced the entire car and reported it stolen 🙂

Called the police and the officer who came to take the report was very nice. He kept asking me if was sure I hadn’t parked it somewhere else than I thought. I insisted it was missing. He took the report and was joking about how his mother had once reported her car stolen when she really had forgotten where she had parked it. When he finished taking the report he requested I get in the cruiser and drive around with him.I directed him to the place I thought I had parked it and then he said lets go another block further. The street was curvy and as we came around the bend – Voila! I was pretty embarrassed needless to say!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

ROFL!!! 😀 That is just too funny @wanderquest

Okay, I don’t think I have ever put my keys in the refrigerator. However….

I have locked myself out of the house way too many times to count. I can’t even count the number of times I have locked myself out just taking the garbage out in the morning. I never managed to learn how to pick a lock though.

I frequently forgot to take my keys with me when I worked at a coffee shop on the evening shift and usually got home around 2:00 am. One time I spent the night at another coffee shop down the road from my house that was open 24 hrs.  And one time I went to a convenience store and used a pay phone to call the house and let it ring until my mother woke up.

The next time I tried that it didn’t work. And it was the middle of winter and the 24 hr coffee shop had closed. So I ended up dragging a patio chair around to my bedroom window at the back, then stacking two recycling boxes on top of it, which got me up just high enough to be able to push the window open, hoist myself over the sill and wriggle through.

I locked myself out of my brother’s house when I was babysitting and had to go to the neighbours with the kids not once but twice. One other time I climbed through the kitchen window. And then when the kids were older one of them climbed through the kitchen window….

And last but not least….My father was in the hospital and Mom, Husband, and Me all went to visit him. We went out the back door and I locked it. When we came home we went to the front door because none of us had keys for the back. I unlocked it, pushed it open….and it suddenly stopped. The chain was on. And it was February, of course.

After several failed attempts to find an alternate way into the house by any means up to and including trying to break the chain by slamming against the door (ouch) I finally found the solution. We were rummaging through the trunk for any tools that might be useful when I found a bungee cord. I slipped the bungee cord through the mail slot, reached around through the opening in the doorway,  hooked it onto the chain, then pulled. Problem solved.

So the moral of the story is- People with ADHD might have a huge problem with keys, but we are great at problem solving. 🙂

@Nellie– Just saw your post. That is definitely something I would do if I had a car. I have enough trouble finding Husband’s car in a parking lot if he’s not with me. He usually ends up honking the horn and waving until I spot him.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)