Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Lifestyle changes I have made inspired by this site

Lifestyle changes I have made inspired by this site2011-07-02T06:27:27+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments What Worked For Me… Lifestyle changes I have made inspired by this site

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a solution! Crochet!

Start on granny squares. You can finish one in an hour. It’s very rewarding.

You can do as many of them as you like.

In the end you’ll either have a small sidetable cloth or a bedspread for your king size bed.

Or just three nice granny squares. It’s fine either way.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

lol it’s ok Krazykat. I used to crochet. also a very good strategy for surviving boring activities. Gives the mind a second task. I never had the patience to get good at it and made the same belt, scarf, and beanie over and over gain. I swear that the crochet patterns were more complicated to figure out than my calculus book at the time! I’m horrible at anything spacial. I was horrible at calculus too, but I figured it out and could not figure out the crochet patterns. lol.

on lifestyle changes. I have tomorrow off. I should have planned out my day and now i’m worried that I am going to piddle it away. If I dedicated it to cleaning, I’m not sure I would get out of bed. ack. eventually i need to clean, but next week is always the best solution, right? maybe I will do something easy.

like one hour cleaning..and just one hour only.

and go to target to buy more plastic filing cubes (I am liking the one I made very much).

hmm what else? having tuesdays off is awkward because there is no one to hang out with!

hmmm need new shoes and etc. i hate to shop because I get overwhelmed by all the stuff in stores.. however, the med is helping with this.. ok peoples.. got a plan.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I highly recommend hiring someone to clean! I can’t afford it right now but when I could it was HEAVEN to come home to! It was every 2 weeks and they rotated deep cleaning different rooms. I’m new to this site and it’s so refreshing to read about people with the same struggles as me! I’ve tried the Flylady stuff but my interest waxes and wanes. I did the Clean Sweep thing with my sons room a while ago (I got him involved and it was a game for him) There was a huge pile in my living room of things to go back into his room. My loving and understanding friends and family just prentended it wasn’t there. Tonight I’d finally had enough and put it away! You what? I finished something!! Me!! This ADD brain had had enough and I did it!! ( just dont look in the rolling under-the-bed container that I threw the rest of the whatthehelldoidowiththisstuff stuff!) We still need to go through his toy box, I need go through his clothes, and final step will be to label things (he’s just learning to read so that will help) but I have faith that I’ll get it done! (even if it’s not till he’s getting sworn in as President!) hey – have any of our presidents had ADD? Hmmm I’m going to google that!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have now managed to confuse myself with three different threads I have been posting on with similar information. Oh well lol.

I am so proud of myself today. I actually did do the hour plan. I vacuumed up all the dirt and dust bunnies from the house. Yes, it took the entire hour and I filled up two dustbuster canisters (the smaller vacuum however). I had not done this since Oct 2010..seriously. A bit less horrible than it sounds because I live alone and don’t really create much mess. At the dust bunnies of doom seem to congregate so I could get to them. Anyhow, even though it was far from a recreational activity, I managed to do it without feeling like I was undergoing Chinese water torture. Nellie mentioned on one of these threads that the meds don’t necessarily make you want to do something or feel motivation, they do help the activities become less torturous and frustrating when you do them.

I feel like I can spend another hour on another day off and mop the floor or organize my office (scattered books and papers everywhere). Not both, however, too overwhelming still. I now know that it will not be an hour of Chinese water torture and perhaps my dread will be decreased. I will never be one to maintain a very clean home, but I would like this stuff to be taken care of every few months or so. Perhaps, I will not need someone to clean my house for me? I have more hope after today.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

SG – So there is hope for me yet. I was horrified when I discovered that medications do not help motivation, but knowing that a task is not going to be as difficult, and that the dread feeling is not going to be there, is probably enough to help get things moving. So really, the more you get into the habit of starting a task, the more motivated you’ll become as time progresses and the whole process will get easier. I like to think that that is what the case will be, anyway….or else there is really no hope for me :?

totallylola – I can’t crochet!! I learned how to once upon a time, but forgot again….and my granny squares used to be twisted wrecks ๐Ÿ˜ณ I have more luck with knitting. But I plan to learn crochet again one day, when I finish some of these knitting projects I have bought wool for. I really have to stop myself from starting yet another hobby and to stick with the many I already participate in. I can’t spare any more storage space for craft items until I use some up – especally the fabric I have got insulating my cupboards ๐Ÿ™„

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CrazyKat I know all about trying to stick to the hobbies you allready participate in but if you ever change your mind this is what you need ;-) : http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Bitch-Crochet-Happy-Hooker/dp/0761139850

And hey, you can use the wool you already bought! (What a beautiful cat in your photo. Is it yours? (The marble in my picture isn’t mine..))

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha! I love coming here. There is always something to crack me up. I had always wondered if that beautiful marble was yours (lol, smirk). Yes, the cat is mine. He’s a blue lynx point Ragdoll.

OMG!!! Looked up that book and found there’s whole series of them!! Aaaarrghh! I am so NOT going down that path. I am a sucker for having complete sets of things, and I hate to own just one or two parts of a set. I am so totally nuts sometimes ๐Ÿ™„ Actually, I work with a woman who crochets and she keeps wanting to teach me, so I will take her up on it one day I am sure. Probably out of boredom. Work can be very slow some nights and craft/books/talking/laptops etc keep us from going crazy in the down times. It’s why I am so suited to nights at my work. Nearly every single night shift worker here does some sort of hobby they can bring to work. My latest thing, when I can get off the internet, is to listen to audiobooks (one earphone in, one out, so I can still hear what’s going on around me) while I knit. It’s a good way to make progress on my knitting without getting bored, as I tend to think lots while I knit and end up having to act on my thoughts, which means I put down my knitting and often don’t pick it back up. The audiobooks keep my mind occupied. I also discovered the drone of some narrators works really well to get me to sleep lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)