Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Lost a job I really liked

Lost a job I really liked2012-03-21T03:54:20+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Lost/Losing My Job Lost a job I really liked

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was fired from Walmart in January. There was an incident in which a customer complained that I flipped her off. I was on the parking lot doing my job getting buggies out of the corral and the lady pulled near where I was getting buggies. She beeped her horn at me to let me know she wanted the parking place near where I was.I waved at her and she went in and complained to the manager that I flipped her off. I still am unsure whether I flipped her off or not. The store manager said he was going to put me down as eligible for rehire in 90 days (which are almost up) Anyway, I discussed the incident with my psychiatrist whose care I’ve been under for years for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and he said that doesn’t even sound like anything I would do…i then discussed some other problems with him, and we determined that my medication wasn’t working anymore. He changed my medicine and its working better for me. Every time I’ve been in the store as a customer since being fired many of my former co-workers are asking if I am coming back,if I want to come back, etc. One of the people who asked me if I wanted to come back was my department manager and she said she “sure does need me”. Do you think it would be worth my time to ask to be rehired ?

my ADHD falls in the impulsive category in that I tend to act without thinking…most of the time I can find the “calm place”, and since my Doctor and I changed my medication I have a lot less trouble with impulse issues. I don’t think the department manager would lie to me telling me that she needs me if they really didn’t need me. I really did enjoy working at Wal-Mart and got along great with the people I worked with.

REPORT ABUSE

anniea

YES!! Go back, .. I was given a second chance at a nursing home I worked at, and it was wonderful, until MY boss was fired, and her relplacement was wacked… but I felt wanted, and vendicated somehow… I loved working there, and would go back in a second, if they would have me… Sometimes people see things that aren’t there, and make trouble when there isn’t any…

For whatever reason, you now know more than you did before this incident, so you have that too.. Everything happens for a reason, and we learn from everything if we pay attention..

Just my thought on this for now… good luck.

A

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I think the fact that so many people at that store, speak so highly of you, suggests that you could try asking them for a letter of recommendation.

Then, take that letter of recommendation and go work for their competition.

It’s outrageous that a company would fire a highly valued employee, because they took the word of a customer, over that of the highly valued employee, despite the fact that it was highly out-of-character for the employee to have done what the customer claimed he’d done. Clearly, Walmart regards its employees as mere pawns.

Just one more reason why I refuse to shop there.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The reason I’ve learned more than I knew before this incident is that I noticed that I wasn’t quite myself. I was having trouble staying focused. feeling anxious, feeling nervous, and acting before thinking in numerous situations. I hadn’t felt or acted in that way since before I was diagnosed in 1994. The new medication my doctor has me on, Tenex, is working for me along with making changes to my diet.

I think that I may have a chance since I’ve acknowledged the problem, taken steps to correct the problem, and with the reputation among my co workers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went into the store after my 90 days were up, then talked to the manager. He told me to put in an application. I tried to fill in an application which I tried to do. I got into the second step, where you have to verify your SSN and was told that “according to our records you are not eligible for rehire with Wal-Mart. I spoke to the store manager again. He told me that he would look into it for me and to call him back the next day (which was yesterday) and so I did. he told me that my offense had been classified as “gross misconduct” and I appealed it based on the fact of my having ADHD and my medication being changed.

This situation is now stressing me a LOT. What else can I do besides appealing this with Wal-Mart?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel for you, I really do! I was fired from my job at a bank (I loved my job) for making careless mistakes and impulsivity. But like you I learned something from the expierence. It lead to my diagnosis of ADD. I just knew I wasn’t a stupid person… however even if they called and begged me to come back I wouldn’t. It was a high stress job that at this point in my life I’m unable to cope with.

but about your cirumstance I have to say my whole family has worked for Wal-mart at some point in their lives (both in-laws still there) myself included. We have all learned that the corperation as whole is very shady! My husband was fired from a management position due to an on the job injury. I quite because my department manager pulled me into the office and cursed me out! And was deemed not eligible for rehire as well. Even though the store manager herself said she would hire me “in a heartbeat”. However if you really want to get your job back I would start with your previous manager and ask how you go about reversing the the ineligible status.

Sorry for rambling and good luck to you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The main manager at the store (not my department manger, but the main manager) is already appealing it. Do you think there is anything that my psychiatrist can do to help me?

REPORT ABUSE

foogol

ADHD_GA:

May I suggest you contact Bentonville, Arkansas Walmart’s Corporate office .. Just call the local number 1-800-925-6278..

479-273-4000 Explain the problem you are having and what you had been told and the new outcome..

Here is another site you might wish to visit- http://www.walmartethics.com/home.aspx

Have you asked for your letter of recommendation yet?

Request if you have not done so already; a letter explaining this ‘gross misconduct’ on Walmart letterhead..

I would record the conversation without the manager knowing you are doing so, just so you don’t forget what he told you later..

Why would you appeal the ‘gross misconduct’ on the basis of your ADHD when you have no idea what type of misconduct it is, or do you? If you do know, then disregard..

You are being given the runaround.. Do not get upset as this is what they wish for you to do..

Never give personal information to an employer, specially when they are not on your side as it seems.. A just I am ADHD

is sufficient.. If Walmart sees you as a liability you will not be given any position..

I would also contact the the Georgia bar – http://www.gabar.org/contact_the_bar/ explain to them your circumstances and that you need help..

-foogol

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Foogol,

I know what they’re claiming I did. I stated it in my first post in this thread. They’re claiming a customer said I flipped her a bird. Nevermind that they have failed to provide me with proof–its just the customers word over mine.

I already have an appeal in with the store manager. Should I still visit the Global Ethics website and file a report with corporate as well, or wait until Tuesday when I hear back from the store manager? (He told me to get back with him in about a week, which is on Tuesday)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would wait until you hear back from the manager then see where you need to go from there. I have a friend that lost his job at Wal-mart for something much more serious than this and he fought to get his job back and was successful. I will talk to him and see what he did. I don’t think there’s anything your dr. can do for you at this point, but maybe at a later date he can possibly help with a chacter reference so something.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Hardiesl. Please check with your friend and let me know what he says. Do you happen to know if he was classified as “Gross Misconduct” or non-rehire?

REPORT ABUSE

foogol

We already chatted about the flipped finger and we gone thru that already and protocol camera in parking lot..

There is no gross misconduct that I can see and the manager has no pull whatsoever..I will go out on a limp and say you didn’t get fired for the flipped finger but a compilation of other factors..

I have dealt with Walmart previously, you need to do whatever you are going to do quickly.. I hope you are writing everything down…

If Walmart is refusing to show evidence why or how you got fired; I am now going to recommend you contact

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission http://www.eeoc.gov/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had no other spots on my record–never been written up, never been coached or anything. and I am keeping meticulous records here. I think I may have an EEOC issue here.

REPORT ABUSE

William

Tapes, did they record the parking lot? EEOC sounds good too.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

They’re claiming they have it on tape but I have asked to see the tape three times, but still haven’t seen it yet

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)