Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

MY daughters introduced me to her friends as……..

MY daughters introduced me to her friends as……..2010-12-10T07:28:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Most Hostile/Ignorant Thing I've Heard MY daughters introduced me to her friends as……..

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I was visiting my daughter and her family one evening, she had a few friends over. As I walked in she said “Hello everyone,this my mom with ADHD.” I felt as if she was trying to fore warn them, Or maybe afraid (without the explanation). I may have done something that she may later have to explain. Anyway I was crushed.. but I played the clown laughing it off..and made a very hasty exit. ;(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can see how that would be embarrassing. She should have talked with you first or something. Or better yet she should have talked with her friends first and educated them about adhd.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

How old is your daughter? IF she’s a teenager, then it’s a bit odd. But if she’s still in primary school, then it’s not really something to worry about.

I once introduced one of my kinder teachers to my dad as “Miss Mary who doesn’t give f***s”, having overheard her saying she doesn’t give a f*** in some context or other. She turned red and ran :-p

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is too funny!!! LOL!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

maybe you should introduce *her* next time as “this is my daughter, she just started her period” ;) or at the least explain to her that that is just about how you felt when she did what she did….

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi with some adhders tack is a bit of a problem. does she have adhd too . if not I would let her know that the way she anownced it to here friends hurt. she might not have understood that her words might hurt you .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always feel like we should have some witty comeback when people say things like that about us. I have had people say things like “oh God, I can only imagine what your closet looks like at home”. Just another example of people drawing “negative attention” to us and making us feel pretty awful for something that is out of our control. I guess in some ways though I am almost relieved when people know I have it. Not that I ever want to be felt sorry for or a “victim” of ADHD, but I always feel at least people have been forwarned if…well actually when an ADHD moment occurs. So if anyone out there has a cute positive response to comments like that I am all ears!!!!:-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i don’t remember when it started bu it has been my tag line when i meet a new person (it is now a habit) always say :

” Hi I’m the craziest/weirdest person you will meet today”

it sticks in their mind, and in 5 years I’ve never had the question “what was your name again?”

I’ve had people treat me genially when they found out about my ADD/HD and i remind them that I’m no different then them i just get crazy at times.

every so often i speak to a empty chair to keep people on their toes

something you may want to think of is to temperately create a same-gilt free zone so you and them can ask everything point blank and then explain it just as plainly. this method has helped me understand people and things(religon, disorders, felings, problems) that are difrent from my point of vew

i had a thought waile righting this i have a frend who is a tool/gagit guy and before he gets rid of eney equment he asks me what i would do with it half the time it is somthing he never thought of. it has benifeted us bouth he gets a new ideas and i get the tools he doesnt need

REPORT ABUSE

mez

I love the idea of talking to an empty chair, what a brilliant thing to do.

I never really believed in ADD/ADHD. I live in Australia and thought it was just an American fad. There have always been problem kids – I was one myself.

Then my daughter had a friend at school with ADHD. She spent a lot of time at our place and her mother insisted I have a stock of Ritalin on hand.

I was amazed at the difference in her behaviour – this kid went from bouncing off the walls, completely intractable, to a normal little kid within half an hour.

Then when my other daughter told me she thought SHE had it, I was stunned. I had to do a lot of research just to believe it. Doing this, it was like a light globe going on – it answered everything, and not just about her; about me. I believe I have it too.

Now I’m really annoyed at people who are like I was. I understand the skepticism and where it comes from, but I suspect from now on I will be a better person, less judgemental.

Probably I’ve posted this in the wrong section. I’m new to this. I have extreme problems with computers; I simply don’t understand how or why they work.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Great Post!! Welcome to the sight. the people running this site are great!!do the best  you can and what I have found these people will welcome you with open arms!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hiya @mez. I probably already welcomed you to the site somewhere else but, just in case, welcome to the site. 🙂

Like trashman said, no worries. The great thing about his forum is that we all have challenges of some kind or another. And everyone is very patient and understanding.

I know what you mean about thinking that ADD is the latest fad. It really can seem that way sometimes. I wonder myself sometimes if it isn’t getting over diagnosed. But at the same time, there are probably a lot of people with ADHD who are mislabeled as having other disorders like depression and anxiety.

It is really not very well understood yet and with no real definitive test for it it is difficult to distinguish from other things that could cause the same symptoms.

I already spend enough time talking to inanimate objects to sufficiently worry my family. No need to add chairs to the list.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Don’t you people have a cat to talk to?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)