Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

My Job, is it ADD friendly?

My Job, is it ADD friendly?2010-07-16T02:37:37+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers My Job, is it ADD friendly?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Theres been a lot of talk about work and how ADD effects it. I’m just curious if there is a catagory(ies) of work that we as ADDers do (would do) better in? In the past I’ve always started out very focused on whatever I may be doing but as the months and years go on I start losing interest. After that I start feeling like I’m just being tolerated by my co-workers and bosses and not taken seriously (I never know if I’m being paranoid). Add to the mix I’ve had 3 companies go bankrupt and you’ll soon see that I have a very full resume. Some stuff that reflects my choosen work, and lots of survival jobs as well. As you can guess the resume professionals don’t think to highly of this. Is there anybody else whose resume is stacked with lots of jobs? Is this just a “me thing” or a common trait of people that deal with ADD in the workplace?

Currently I drive a school bus, which would sound like a very bad idea for an ADDer (target rich environment for distractions) but I excel at it. In a lot of ways I have a freedom that I’ve never had before. My bosses trust me and don’t hang over my shoulder. The view out side the “office” window keeps changing. When I’m running empty I have quite time. Because I follow a route, my day is very structured and full of routine. Plus I love working with kids. I’ve been working full time since 1986 and this is the first job that I get up each morning wanting to go to work. Boy does this make all the difference in the world.

I would be interested to know what catagories others here fall into, and if they are succeeding or struggling? For simplicity I’m going to say that I’m in customer service. Anybody else up to sharing?

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

I work with kids (many with disabilities), in a fairly active job (swim instructor/lifeguard) that involves some smarts and creativity. Am I working up to my potential? I don’t think so. Am I good at my job? Very (not to be braggy, I am) – and I know I make a difference in kids’ lives for the better. The paperwork is only really an issue 4x/year (when report cards are due), so that’s good. I guess I would say I’m succeeding, but I’m actively working toward (in college) doing more, in a related field. I hope to stay in pediatrics.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks purlgurl!

Its not being braggy, sometimes you need to say “yes I’m damn good at what I do”. I get to drive special needs kids sometimes, and those are my favourite runs. Nothing like a group of kids/young adults that are just glad to see you, to turn a bad day around :)

So two careers working with people.

(p.s. – I gotta ask, purl as in knitting?)

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

Indeed, purl as in knitting. :) Something better for me to do with my hands than eating or playing iPod games while watching tv/hanging out with mr purl. I taught myself during the 2004 U.S. elections – imagined stabbing Bush with my knitting needles. ;)

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

… maybe you should knit Obama a sweater. Really, Bush again? Really? This President has been in office for over a year and a half and has tripled the defiit, 10% inflation.. blah, blah… I’m not going to even get in to it. Why would you make an erroneous/superfluous political statement when you know that there will be a portion of people who don’t agree with it? It doesn’t advance the good will and comaraderi that this website strives for, reardless of one’s political persuasion.

This is a site for people who are sufferring from ADD, not a political soap box – whether you are pro or con whatever political party.

Maybe you could spread some of that compassion that you feel for kids with disabilities around and keep your poltical feelings to yourself. I could say something like, “Just wait, the government is working on solving your problem so keep knitting and you’ll get a check in the mail any day now.”…. but that would be unkind.

I’m sorry, that last comment was disespectful … but can we leave political and religious beliefs out of the conversation beacuse it never leads any where productive with trying how to cope with ths thing

How do you think a comment about someone thinking about doing to the current president, that you said you imagined doing to the previous president would fly on a post? Probably not so much huh?

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

… corection 10% unemployment, inflation to follow

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

… Purlgurl, my apolgies if my comments are out of line, but I think most of us have enough on our plates trying to deal with symptoms etc. Don’t mean to over react, but politics are a touchy subject for many depending on one’s point of view and back ground and current financial and personal situation. I just don’t think it adds to the conversation in this forum.

There are sites and forums to express such things

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

I thought the comment was funny and I certainly didn’t see a political side to this at all. If you learn anything at all from this website, it’s that despite all the pain and suffering we endure, we can still find time for our unique sense of humour. Besides, I’ll trade Harper for Obama any day.

As to the original intent of this topic about jobs that are ADD friendly that’s like saying what are good jobs for someone with blue eyes. If you are aware of your ADD, and what flavour it is, I think any job is suitable…if you know your limitations and CAN and DECIDE to work within them.

I think that’s the issue. Whether an ADDer can make the adjustments to their brainstyle to accommodate whatever they choose to do is what it really boils down to. I hate working in a corporate cube farm, but I try to adapt to that by changing how I approach my work. Instead of working on single project at a time, I’ll work several concurrently. Drives my boss nuts. When I work on a single project, well, you all know to well what happens. But when I work multiple projects confined to tight deadlines, my brain now fires on all cylinders and stuff gets done. I’m focused. In the zone. At one with the Tao.

I try to bend the world to me as much as I can.

Would I have chosen this career if I were aware about my ADD? Probably not, knowing how it was going to turn out.

My job started out interesting because I was allowed to get away from the computer all the time, go into the factory to do what I had to do, find out stuff, talk to the people I needed to talk to and go back to the computer. So when I found myself getting bored or loosing focus, I could find an excuse to get away. Even if I didn’t need to go into the factory, I’d go anyways just to keep stimulated. It doesn’t happen now at all. Now it’s starting to drag me down.

Everything is now provided to me on the computer, so now it’s eight hours a day (even on weekends, frequently) staring at a computer screen in a gray cube-farm. Very boring. The paperwork, procedures and policies used in my workplace have drained every bit of enjoyment. Not to mention computer network that is so slow that I frequently forget what I’m to do next, I just “gap-out”. I think even the “neuro-norms” find it tough going now. I can say that corporate life sucks if you have ADD. Oh, in addition, I think I’m burnt-out.

What would I have chosen knowing I had ADD? Something creative, perhaps stayed with photography which I have done most of my life. That was stimulating work. A paramedic, fireman or bush-pilot perhaps. Something that requires regular stimulus, with little or no paperwork. A lion-tamer? Entertainment field is good: ADD is frequently called the “comedian’s disease”. Journalism?

I read that we like to work on things we find really intrinsically interesting (almost obsessively), highly detailed or complex, and to work mostly by ourselves if we can. Places that require out-side-the-box thinking and that our input is needed and valued, like software design. When I look at how computer software is designed with poor user interface, that makes me nuts. I think my hyper-awareness makes me really sensitive to that. Why is the checkbox up here and the Accept box why down over there? Why is it most ON/OFF switches in a car are in the middle of the dash, but some are on the left side of the steering wheel requiring the driver to switch hand during driving? That sort of thing. Because when you have ADD these things really stand out.

So, at mid-fifties, I’m contemplating another change, perhaps working on a series of small contracts at different places, doing different projects to provide stimulus and change.

When I have the answer for what is a good career choice for someone with ADD. I’ll let you know, but in the meantime, the search continues…stay tuned.

Hope this helps…and good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@purlgurl

For whats its worth I don’t see the politics in that statement. It was an off the cuff comment. We all do those

@Addled

Thanks, for posting that. Harper ugh! I totally agree, there is no perfect job for people with ADD. Nor was I looking for any kind of profiling either. Also true that a job is what you make it. Being on the wrong side of 40, looking back at my resume I see I’ve done lots of things. Made airplane wings, supervisor, printed wall paper, worked in computer graphics, warehouse work, forklift, night time cleaning staff, shipper, contracted in the printing field, electronic recycling, taxidermy (yes I know!) and bus driving. I have trouble not wondering if I was sub-marining myself in the past. But in the end, right now I’m fairly happy, but who knows if this is what I’ll be doing a year (or 5) from now. I look at this as an opportunity to have a stable job, while I deal with finding me.

I guess it’s hard enough to deal with how ADD effects us without having to be up to date on labour laws because the company doesn’t get it. There are some pretty great bosses out there, but there are also far to many that just don’t want to deal with it. They want easy, and ADD is not easy. I like the “team lead” title, but sadly if more supervisors acted as “leaders” and not “bosses” then the workers might be happier and more productive. Sorry for the rant!

I one thing I have learned is that there are some incrediblely smart people writing posts here. Seriously, writing sounds really good to me. I wonder how many members here write blogs? My oldest son (ADD inatentive) is also considering being a paramedic. I wish you the best of luck in finding you.

Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Calvin!

Just read your post about work categories.

I have been a successful hairstylist for 28 years now, and self-employed for 22 of those years. I am ADHD (emphasis on the ‘H’!) and my advice to the rest of us very ‘H’ folks is to get an occupation where you are on your feet! I think better when I am moving and am much more focused and relaxed. A chair is death to me and my mood.

What better occupation than to be expected to talk all day (heaven!), be very physical while working, mult-task, use all parts of your brain at once, have people tell you stories all day, be creative, problem-solve, ever-changing schedules (some weeks run off your feet, others a bit slower) etc etc. Also most stylists that I’ve run into are ADHDers, and it is like being with family. (Sometimes in an explosive way depending upon the varied emotional styles)

Any other stylists out there?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I, among other ADDers I know, have before or do work in the restaurant business, both in the kitchen and waiting tables. It’s very fast paced, and our version of ‘projects’ or ‘presentations’ take little prep time, and begin and end in the same day, no need to take any work home, The negative side was the cash in hand at the end of the night, for an ADDer, it may be hard to get that cash to the bank…was for me! Now I am a teacher for early childhood, works well, my attention span is about as long as a 5yr old, lol. I know if I am bored, thy must be, lessons are short, creative, and hands-on, to keep both my and their interests. My desk is a mess…but getting better due to my awareness of having ADD.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)