Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Myers Briggs

Myers Briggs2010-02-02T23:31:24+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Myers Briggs

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anyone taken the Myers Briggs personality assessment? I did, and found it very helpful but now I wonder how much of my personality type is related to my ADD. I’m INTP if that means anything to anyone.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m xNFP from what I understand NPs are more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD or ADD.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

ENFP here. brio and i are on a website that has oodles and oodles of info and scenarios for each personality type. that’s actually how she and i met. and i got her on here! :P hee hee

it’s a great place to meet and learn about others with your personality type. http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/

INTP’s are usually quiet, analytical thinkers (from what i’ve read).

have fun exploring! it’s been a fun trip to be an ENFP with ADHD and no meds. believe me!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

ENFP as well.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

One of the things Doctor Jain talks about in the workshops we do is about the spectrum of Impulsive and Compulsive. Emotional vs. Logical. The HEART people vs. the HEAD people. Heart people do think, and Head people have deep feelings, but when it comes to a decision, heart people trust their feelings and head people trust logic, reasons, arguments. If you think about what car you bought and why, it’s a good place to figure out where you lay on the scale.

ADDers fall at the Impulsive end of the scale. In fact, Impulsivity is one of three key areas of impairment, right? So I would think on the Myers Briggs we would tend to be more intuitive.

The introverted and extroverted I would guess has more to do with whether you fall into the purely Inattentive subtype of ADHD or the Combined Subtype which also includes Impulsivity and Hyperactivity with the Inattention. Boys have a higher rate of the combined subtype, which is why, for a long time, girls weren’t diagnosed nearly as frequency. That girl in the corner, quietly day dreaming, doesn’t disrupt the class and demand the teacher’s attention.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

“The introverted and extroverted I would guess has more to do with whether you fall into the purely Inattentive subtype of ADHD or the Combined Subtype which also includes Impulsivity and Hyperactivity with the Inattention.”

i’ve always understood that the difference b/w intro and extroversion is the way you handle stressful situations. or stress in general. i’m an extrovert…. when i’m stressed i release it by being around people… feeding off of their energy. love me some happy hour. hahaha

my hubs, introvert. stress = an hour or two of alone time for him (he’s not a ADDer), but that’s how he releases and “re-energizes” himself… by gardening, or playing vid games.

bro, introvert, has ADD.

me, extrovert, have ADHD.

the heart and head thing you discuss is like the color personality types in a book that was recommended to me. “personality, what’s love got to do with it”. it basically talks about what myers briggs discusses, but in a manner which people will understand the concept.

it’s all interesting non-the-less.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Veronica – interesting that your hubby plays video games to gain some “me-time”. I too am an avid gamer (at 37 but apparently the average gamer is male 35) and find that it actually helps my focus. Now, that being said, it has a tendency to make me hyperfocus and shut everything else out.

I am definitely an extrovert but I don’t exhibit any “HD” symptoms (with the exception of the ocassional angry outburst at stupid motorists). I’d be very interested to see substantiated data on whether ADDers or ADHDers use more right brain function than left or vice versa. It appears that most of us are quite creative – or at least cite artistic, musical or written word in our vast list of talents. I used to “suffer” (for want of a better word) from analysis-paralysis where I would over-think seemingly menial things to the point of worry. Is that something we all share? It would suggest a left-brain functionality no? Or, are we the small percent of people that are able to use more cerebral faculties than others, thereby causing us to BE ADHD or ADD? ie Because of our disorder/gift, we are blessed/cursed with superior/inferior abilities?

Our ability to learn things at a rapid pace or to pick up a brush or guitar and know almost instantly how to paint or play would suggest a higher functionality of our brains but is that indeed a hallmark of those with ADHD or ADD or merely coincidence? The amount of people I have heard from who share this creative and analytical intellect as ADHDers or ADDers seems to indicate the former.

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

I am somewhat skeptical of MB personality testing, but doing one of the online assessments linked through typologycentral (very interesting forums!) I am INFP (http://typelogic.com/infp.html), and I did feel that significant chunks of the description fit me really well. As a data point for the I/E ADD/ADHD conversation, I am ADHD-Combined (scoring pretty high in restlessness and impulsivity, as well as the inattention – I’m just a big old mess! ;), but I am most definitely an introvert.

For example, I am *really* busy, and my commuting time is some of my only “me” time to read a book or listen to music or watch TV on my iPod. Especially when I am stressed out, I need to apologize to my co-commuting classmates on the bus for being “rude” and burying my nose in a book – and if someone insists on trying to make conversation, I get really really annoyed. I have changed my commuting schedule, arriving at work early, so that I don’t wind up on the same bus as my coworkers, and lose my precious downtime. Now, most of the people I interact with are flabbergasted that I am an “I” – this line from the profile that I linked to – “INFPs can even masquerade in their ESTJ business suit, but not without expending considerable energy” *definitely* rings true, because I work with people, and I really do enjoy it – but my husband suffers when I get home and all I want to do is veg in front of the TV/computer/with my knitting.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I’m the rarest Myers Briggs type, an INFJ. My brother is an INTJ, which is the second rarest type. He can focus and get stuff done. I can’t. He’s a high-paid, successful business analyst with an MBA, and he’s writing the second edition of his book, now that the first edition has sold out. I have a BA in English (which I somehow managed to just barely get) and my history consists of many years of office jobs (mostly temp), which required so much energy on my part to try to fit in to the office culture, that I simply can’t do them any more. For the past few weeks, I’ve been working on the prototypes of my own line of clothing and accessories, but (you guessed it!) I’m finding it really hard to just knuckle down and do it.

My brother and I are both quite sensitive to some sounds (people & animals chewing and slurping, the cacophony of voices in restaurants and other public places, repetitive sounds, the thumping bass of a stereo), to the point where we have to get out of there, or explode in a rage.

We’re positive that the ADHD tendencies came from our mom, who is a textbook case, and in serious denial. If I’d had my video camera to capture her big Christmas Day freak out, I could have turned it into a training film…but I’d have been disinherited for sure!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a serious heavy duty way-off-the-chart ENFP. My last manager (before I got fired) was also an ENFP. It was not a pretty sight. She felt threatened by how I was also outgoing, warm, and enthusiastic – she wanted to be the solo prima donna, so to speak. Behaviours that she did all the time – barging in on conversations, talkly too loudly, that kind of thing were things I often got reprimanded for instead.

I got fired for my crappy attention to paperwork, but I’m sure she just wanted me gone for other reasons too.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a rather awesome coincidence. I am taking Organizational Behaviour in college and last week we did the MBTI. I am an ENFJ. I brought up the fact that I had ADHD and always had attributed some of the major ENFJ factors to my ADHD, and mentioned how it would be interesting to find out of it somehow coincided.

I am quite chuffed to have come across and read this discussion thread. The best part is that I am up with my pre-exam-cant-sleep-the-night-before-or-any-night-for-that-matter-type-thing, and now I feel equipped with an expansion on an idea that could very well have a positive effect on my already above average achievement. So… thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m an INFP – I’ve taken the test a few times and it seems to be reliable… (an ex is a psychologist who can administer and did so the first couple of times).

@purlgurl
    I’m a little skeptical too of the Myers-Briggs, based on my understanding of psychometrics.

Anyway: INFP

6 Extraversion, 15 Introversion, 13 Sensing, 13 Intuition, 4 Thinking, 20 Feeling, 8 Judging and 14 Perceiving!

Introverted Feeling with Extraverted Intuition

Approximately 4.3% of persons in the United States are INFPs.

Summary:

Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.

At Their Best

People with INFP preferences have an inner core of values that guides their interactions and decisions. They want to be involved in work that contributes to both their own growth and inner development and those of others to have a purpose beyond their paycheck. They make a priority of clarifying their values and living in congruence with them.

INFPs recognize and honor the emotional and psychological needs of others, even when others may not have recognized or expressed their own needs.

Characteristics of INFPs

INFPs primarily use their Feeling preference internally where they make decisions based on their values of self understanding, individuality, and growth. Living by moral commitments to what they believe in is crucial to INFPs. They are likely to be

· Sensitive, concerned, and caring

· Idealistic and loyal to their ideas

INFPs enjoy reading, discussing, and reflecting on possibilities for positive change in the future. They are curious about ideas and quick to see connections and meanings. INFPs are likely to

· Be curious and creative

· Have long-range vision

INFPs are usually fascinated by opportunities to explore the complexities of human personality their own and others’. They tend to work in bursts of energy and are capable of great concentration and output when fully engaged in a project. They are generally faithful in fulfilling obligations related to people, work, or ideas to which they are committed, but they can have difficulty performing routine work that has little meaning for them.

How Others May See Them

INFPs find structures and rules confining and prefer to work autonomously. They are adaptable and flexible until something violates their inner values. Then they stop adapting. The resulting expression of value judgments can emerge with an intensity that is surprising to others.

INFPs tend to be reserved and selective about sharing their most deeply held values and feelings. They value relationships based on depth, authenticity, true connection, and mutual growth. INFPs prize most those who take time to understand their values and goals. Others usually see INFPs as

· Sensitive, introspective, and complex

· Original and individual

· Sometimes difficult to understand

Potential Areas for Growth

Sometimes life circumstances have not supported INFPs in the development and expression of their Intuitive and Feeling preferences.

· If they have not developed their Intuition, INFPs may not have reliable ways to take in information and may fail to notice the realities of situations. Then they may make decisions based solely on personal values and find it difficult to translate their values into action.

· If they have not developed their Feeling, they may not take time for the inner valuing process by which they make their best decisions, instead going from one exciting possibility to another and achieving little.

If INFPs do not find a place where they can use their gifts and be appreciated for their contributions, they usually feel frustrated and may

· Have uncharacteristic difficulty expressing themselves verbally

· Withdraw from people and situations

· Not give enough information to others, especially about important values

It is natural for INFPs to give less attention to their non- preferred Thinking and Sensing parts. If they neglect these too much, however, they may

· Become easily discouraged about the contrast between their ideals and accomplishments

· Reject logical reasoning even in situations that require it, asserting the supremacy of their internal viewpoint

· Be impractical and have difficulty estimating the re- sources required to reach a desired goal

Under great stress, INFPs may begin seriously doubting their own competence and that of others, becoming overly critical and judgmental.

Mungo

http://MungosADHD.com

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have done the test a couple of months apart when I was in different emotional and mental spaces. I would expect them to come up the same but I was an INTJ and then an ISTJ

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

add me to the ENFP list.

REPORT ABUSE

slevine

it’s been a fun trip to be an ENFP with ADHD and no meds. believe me!

Sure has been! Painful sometimes though. I am an ENFP and I seem to get along best with other ENFPs. Or at least have the most conversational chemistry. Also I recognize myself in other ADHD people regardless of personality type and am drawn to them as well. Though I feel fortunate that my fiance is not ADHD because she can help me when I forget things.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)