Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Nutritional Inattentive ADD Help, It Really Works

Nutritional Inattentive ADD Help, It Really Works2012-10-01T00:36:55+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Alternative Therapies Nutritional Inattentive ADD Help, It Really Works

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

bucklipe

You know I’m focusing on my “inattentive ADD” but I wonder if it would be good for the greater population of ADD’ers???

What if all any of us needed was a simple addition to our diet of medium chain triglycerides in the form of coconut oil???

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Interesting that your are experiencing this reaction. Did you change anything else in your diet?

Just read this interesting article related to a review of ADHD diet studies.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120110/ADHD-diet-Review-of-studies.aspx

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

nellie Interesting that your are…

I have not changed a thing about my diet or exercise and my psychiatrist has me on a meds fast (so no meds). I have been exercising 2-3 times a day by walking briskly whenever I have been at a task too long and I’m getting bored by it but still have to finish it.

Another thought here, I wonder if background studies were done on ADD-ers if we would find some commonalities, like a high fever as a kid, head trauma, severe emotional trauma before puberty or something along those lines or combinations of them?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can’t think of anything personally (head trauma, fever, etc.), though I’ve always been accident prone (whack my head off everything) and I. Had earaches a lot (though that might have been for the attention as much as pain). The one thing I know there’s always been. An issue with is sleep. I didn’t. Even as a baby. Though maybe that was caused by ADD like thought patterns.

Though. Thinking on the bodies inability to metabolise glucose or nutritional deficiencies (from the article posted by Nellie) those all could be caused by food intollerances/allergies. Maybe we should all do elimination diets, and see how we feel. I plan too as soon as I can work up the motivation, lol.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

kc5jck – HA! :-) Thanks for reading!

Also, so far as head trauma – I feel off the back of a ride at a fair as a child. I wonder…

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Well as a kid I hit my head twice and needed stitches both times:-) Fell off lots of stuff thanks to my climbing proclivities but don’t remember anything terribly traumatic. And apparently I didn’t like to go to sleep either as a child.

bucklipe, exercise is supposed to make a huge difference for ADD. I don’t have what I would consider a workout ( keep meaning too though!) but I do walk my dogs several times a day. If I don’t I feel sluggish despite the fact that it’s really not more than a total of 45 minutes altogether. So that little bit of “brisk” walking that you do might be contributing to your feeling of well being more than you think..

Yesterday i watched this Dr J. video and highly recommend it:

http://totallyadd.com/sponsored-video-3-holistic-treatment-approach/

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Loved the video from Dr. J I would also recommend it. Lots of great stuff I’ve applied. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

nellie Well as a kid I hit my head twice…

I have tracked both of the items; coconut oil and brisk walking:

When I withhold the coconut oil the brain fog is part of the day starting early in the day. With coconut oil it takes about 90 minutes of working at the computer for the fog to sneak up and mug me.

I can say with confidence that the walking will clear out the brain fog in about 300 steps (I wear a pedometer for tracking) although I walk at least 600. I’ve been trying to quantify how much exercise is necessary to be useful for me which is why I’m counting steps. I walk in the house since outside here in Florida it is in the high 80’s and humidity is at least 200%…

The video is great, good info. Much of what he tells us I’ve been trying and evaluating. I’m keeping track of what does and doesn’t work for me. The idea of a glucose uptake issue is just something that I’ve thought of to explain why coconut oil works. When I’m in a brain fog state I can take some coconut oil and it is gone in 15-20 minutes. Exercise is faster and burns calories rather than adding calories. Sometimes I have time to exercise, other times I must keep working and the oil is more convenient.

By the way, anyone trying out the coconut oil, it JUST gets rid of brain fog. If there is any stimulatory effect it is in the area of metabolism and not as heavy a hit as Adderall, etc. When you try it, look at whether the brain is clearer, not stimulated. I like the stimulated feeling it is easier to work in that state but my jerk index gets jacked up higher…

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Ok I’m game – so how much of this do you take?

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

Not knowing how it would work, I tried taking a tablespoon prior to each meal. It goes down easy as a liquid. Right now I’m trying to take less of it to see if I can quantify the smallest amount to take in order to rid myself of “The Fog”. Taking 3 tablespoons equals 360 extra calories. There are some changes that seem to be happening… It seems that my fat distribution is changing… Well, how to say it? Since my weight hasn’t changed I’m not sure why my behind is smaller??? Another thing is that my hunger/cravings are much less. I’m less inclined to eat more than I need to. Not being a doctor or a nutritionist I can only speculate about any causality. What I can do is observe what is happening. I mentally feel better in any case!

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

Hey out there, what about it? Any of you up to an experiment?

Try taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with meals.

You will be looking for your perceptions being unclouded, unfogged.

For me I can speed read at will, I couldn’t get through more than 5 minutes of reading before.

I can compose and type a sentence at the same time. Before, I had to get the sentence right and then type.

It might need to be those not using other meds so you can tell if it works for you.

How about a spontaneous field trial?

Except for those who are allergic to coconut. For you, look for other sources of medium chain trigycerides MCT’s. AKA medium chain fatty acids or MCFA’s.

Don’t worry if you hate coconut, the oil has no taste.

The oil goes down like water and does not coat your mouth.

The stuff is cheap to get at Walmart or your local store, it is in the cooking section for about $6 a quart…

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

nellie Ok I’m game –

HEY! Is nellie the only one out there who is willing to give it a chance?

What about the rest of you? It is cheap to try and is immediate (OK 15-20 minutes) in getting rid of the brain fog.

Who wouldn’t pay 10 cents a dose for a clear head?

If you are not willing to give it a chance, why not?

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Maybe this was already said above, but I didn’t read it all (of course hahahaha) but there was an article about how coconut oil helps battle dementia. One of the resident I care for has a tablespoon of it everyday… I havent seen any changes, but I think it may be too late in the game for her.

hahahaha Oh It was said above in your first post! oh my! Ah well. I was thinking about it… hmmmm I do LOVE coconut!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

And if anyone wants to try an alternative to staright olive oil, I found this recipe from drmyhill.co.uk:

Coconut oil chocolate

Warm up a pot (460grams) of coconut oil so that it just melts.

Stir in a pot (125 grams) of Green and Black’s organic cocoa powder (more or less according to taste).

Sweeten with 10 grams fo D ribose, or fructo-oligosaccharides. It mixes easily.

Pour into a plastic ice cube container to make bite-size cubes, place in deep freeze.

Consume direct from the deep freeze.

I didn’t have enough coconut oil left but I did try it with half coconut oil and half soy butter (could sub any seed or nut butters) and maple syrup to sweeten. Was very tasty.

REPORT ABUSE

bucklipe

distractomom And if anyone wants to try an alternative to staright olive oil,

Can I presume you meant “straight coconut oil”?

I’m looking forward to doing this.

I’m thinking that putting it in the fridge would be sufficient to solidify it.

From freezer to tongue might be problematic, it might stick until it melts…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)