Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Oh I got one!

Oh I got one!2017-05-23T05:05:51+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

dizzytuber
    Participant

Simple.  Listening and Honoring my father’s wishes.   Being raised in a culture, where it’s honorable to listen to your parents and fulfill their dreams, it’s pretty much ruined my life up until this point.

As a kid, I loved to write and draw cartoons.   So I announced that I was looking into an animation school in British Columbia, back in 1987.  However, my father said that isn’t really a manly job, and I should keep looking for a school to teach manly skills.  He claimed only homosexuals do that kind of work.

A week later, I saw a chance to go to a school to learn about making special effects and making masks and props.  Again, not manly enough, only gays (as he put it) do that kind of work.   Gosh, I never knew the pre-requisite for being artistic is being gay.  But ok.  Dads don’t lie right?  🙁

So what did I settle into?  I went to a trade school to be an electrician.  Now that was manly in my dad’s eyes, and I had his approval.  Despite doing well and working 9 years in the residential, commercial, and industrial electrical fields, but absolutely I hated it.  I didn’t want to do this work.  I wanted to be the guy who makes the next cool werewolf costume, or maybe develop a special effect.  Now I just try to invent stuff and figure out how the heck I am going to get the money.  Crowdfunding scares and confuses me.  🙁

My dad is almost 80 now, and has a hybrid personality of Jackie Gleason and Archie Bunker.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)