Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

One of those days (includes danger averted!)

One of those days (includes danger averted!)2012-01-18T21:27:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Venting! One of those days (includes danger averted!)

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

:::sigh:::

Just had to come here and vent.

Having one of those days where you have to work really hard at feeling worth your keep! Everything looks dim on a day like this. :^/

Having trouble switching off hyperfocus these days, even on Concerta (54mg); yesterday spent 3 hours trying to figure out a way to make a pop-up card with my Cricut. Forgot to eat lunch!

Today, sat down to research a printer for my mom and a computer monitor for my dad. Forgot about the eggs I was hard-boiling on the stove. Heard some noise up there, waited for noise to occur a SECOND time to investigate. It was my eggs exploding in a dry pan over high heat! Well, at least I went up there before a fire started…..

I’m a former Special Ed teacher turned Substitute teacher (less paperwork required!) trying to learn a new career in web design. On such a negative-emotion day, this goal seems like folly to me. “I’ll probably just run out of steam on it, like I do with so many things,” the nasty guy on one shoulder is whispering in my ear.

Sounds like a day that calls for chocolate, don’t you think?

Would like to know if anyone else has days like this, even on medication, which helps a lot.

Thanks in advance!

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

Yup: major chocolate day. Hang in there, be good to yourself and then get back in the game. I’m completely with you on feeling crappy when the day slips by with little to show for it. ((hug!))

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Yes me too. My worse days are when I don’t take my meds but some days when I do take them it feels like I don’t. I usually forget stuff that needs cooking for a long time, so a roast chicken can be forgotten about completely until I rescue a dried up wreckage. Or I forget I have run a bath and find a tub full of cold water hours later and on it goes.

Chocolate and feet up is the best remedy. Don’t let it grind you down.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, you guys!

It makes me feel so much better when I hear that others have the same down days and forgetfulness that I experience, it really does.

It’s also great to see in print advice that entails chocolate, putting my feet, and being good to myself. Done!

Just keep swimming…just keep swimming….

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

OK the worst thing I have done was quite recently. I went to the loo at work for a wee, pee, number one, or whatever phrase you guys use locally for urination! I’d kept forgetting to go so I was quite desperate by the time I plonked myself down on the seat (I’m a girl!).

Unfortunately during the long process I started thinking about something I needed to do and consequently forgot what I was currently doing. In my hurry to do whatever it was I had remembered (it was so important I have forgotten what it was!) I stood up to go and do it, completely oblivious to what I SHOULD have been concentrating on. Oh dear….

Consequences – wet pants and floor. So I cleaned up the floor and then had to go back to my office hoping nobody would notice so I could retrieve my car keys and go home to change.

This story really frightens me – I mean just HOW stupid could I be?! (Rhetorical)

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Ok scattybird, I think I’ve now officially heard the proverbial everything LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Yes it’s completely dreadful. A bit worrying too! 🙄

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I can imagine it would be! But have you been under an unusual amount of stress?

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I guess I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Seems like I should just use that as an excuse. It’s preferable to any alternatives! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Poor Scattybird! That frightful story makes me feel that I’m amongst friends, thanks! There but for the grace of who-knows-what-has-kept-me-from-doing-same goest I!

I have had similar moments as a result of my distractibility but I’ve just been lucky they just haven’t involved #1!

:D Thanks again for the “been there”‘s!

Laur

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Laur – glad you feel that way. I think people here are lovely and understanding. I could never share that episode anywhere else.

Usually my distractibility involves falling off my motorbike (which I did once after pulling into a space outside a shop; unfortunately my head had wandered into the shop but my body remained on the bike; at least until we parted company beause I overbalanced) or concrete pillars leap out and prang my car in car parks….. Etc.

At least I haven’t hit any stray hippos yet. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

laurbuck66,

I can’t offer you any advice about hyperfocus. I’ve just spent hours procrastinating on a long phone call with a daughter. This is D-Day weekend for me to finish writing my report cards and IEPs. So when my daughter calls, I just had to let her talk on and on for over 2 hours! She actually travels for business so I very rarely get to see her or even have a chance to talk with her so…..if SHE calls me and wants to talk and talk and talk, who am I to tell her I have more important things to do like report cards. Right?

So then she announces she has to go because she has an appointment. Good now I can get down to work on my ‘homework’. yeah, right. The reports have to be written online. Oh no. The internet……the great black hole of a time waster. So now it’s 11:30 pm and I’ve not even managed to get to the web page I should have been on. *sigh*

I took an evening dose of meds so that I could stay focussed on my work. All it did was keep me quiet so my daughter could talk to me instead of me monopolizing the conversation. I guess I should head to bed and get an early start tomorrow.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

zsazsa,

Wow, I have SO been there! When the lightbulb over my head blew a filament because I realized I was ADHD last year, the impetus had been my SpEd quarterlies and how much trouble I’d always had with all the data for functional activity instruction: data collection, data compilation, etc. I was spending probably twice (or more) as much time as fellow teachers struggling to get plans into place only to find omissions or mistakes and having to correct them, and forgetting to compile the data on a regular basis. Ended up in quite a miserable crunch at the end of the quarter, every time. I couldn’t do it (Concerta helped, but not enough) had to change to being a super-awesome substitute who gets to teach all kinds of different kids but has no paperwork other than time sheets (which the school secretaries take care of handing in on time, if you ask them nicely!). My brain likes the variety, but not the sudden calls @ 5:30 a.m. asking me to work on a day I was hoping to get a lot of things crossed off my list…well, ok- a few things done….or at least one. :^)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Having ADD and IBS at the same time has caused my own share of accidents. I get hyperfocused doing something and I’ll have a flare and try to ignore it hoping it will go away because I’m busy doing whatever my focus is on (shopping last week) and I’ll have an accident. I’ve so far been able to take care of myself without discovery but I really need to get one or the other under control before something happens and I am deeply embarrassed.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Aah hyperfocus and IBS is potentially explosive (in severall ways!). :|

Do you know what makes it flare up? Wheat can be a culprit?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)