Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Orange juice and amphetamines?

Orange juice and amphetamines?2010-06-06T13:05:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Orange juice and amphetamines?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

ADDled

Perhaps Dr J has an opinion on this, but according to the people at Crazy Meds: The Good, The Bad & The Funny of Neurological Medications (http://www.crazymeds.us/) we should not wash down amphetamine-based medication with orange juice or any other fruit-based juices. (Yah, I know, don’t believe everything you see on the internet…..)

They say that OJ can reduce the absorption rates of amphetamines in the body. I knew there a warning about grapefriut juice interacting with certain meds, but this is the first time I’ve heard anything about stimulants. And who doesn’t like OJ in the morning? Guess I’ll have to drink Coca-Cola for breakfast….

Would this be the same for methamphetamines (sp?), such as Concerta and Ritalin?

Please don’t judge me, but Crazy Meds is quite hilarious, actually….reads kinda like Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller’s Bullsh!t. And it’s not what you think, the website really emphasizes that if you need meds for mental health issues, than you take your meds. And they put it bluntly: “…you have to wake up to the fact that mental illness can’t be dealt with by gentle hugs and pretty angels alone.”

The website was started by a person with a lot of mental health issues and was frustrated by the lack of “user friendly” information that consumers can easily understand. Not to mention listing some of the side effects you won’t see in the manufacturers data sheets. Crazy Meds does not want to be the final authority on this stuff, I think the site just wants to provide additional information to the end-user for further investigation with professionals.

WARNING: the language is explicit and can be sexually-charged, but nothing we haven’t heard from Robin Williams or Penn Jillette, so if the “F-bomb” scares you, look away.

Mostly, it’s about anti-depressants, anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic meds, not really a whole lot about stimulants, except for Adderall, but who among us doesn’t have a comorbid condition or two just to make ADD more interesting?

Hope this helps,,,,and good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the info. :) Personally, I take my meds with coffee or tea, whatever goes better with whatever I am eating at the time.

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

I’m exploring the site right now — and I’m struck by not only how informative but how incredibly well-written it is. I love articulate humour. So I find the site more entertaining than off-colour, but maybe I haven’t read enough yet.

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still in the initial poking around so I can’t say much either. But I do know that if someone had pointed out something like this when I was younger and far more easily hurt and pushed into a defensive mode of thinking then this site might not be as helpful as it is now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are right, acidic products with dextro-amphetamine will delay its absorption.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Does this apply only to citrus juices, or to the actual citrus fruits themselves? Is it okay to eat an orange with my breakfast Concerta, or should I keep saving the orange until suppertime, when the Concerta has worn off?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doesn’t seem to apply to methylphenidate products but more to dextro-amphetamine products. Problem is that you still need to have ascorbic acid which is best absorbed on an empty stomach.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was told it’s the Vit.C that slows/effects the absorption. Best bet with any med anyway is take with water. The universal solvent.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Totally. But, take food first because there is no reduction in bioavailability with food and it reduces gastric irritation and nausea.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE

Flashlight

Is Vyvanse a dextro-amphetamine? I was told that it’s dexadrine, not sure if that’s the same thing.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)