Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

organizers/calanders efficiency questions

organizers/calanders efficiency questions2010-03-31T20:06:38+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments organizers/calanders efficiency questions

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago, but I built myself a 4’x8′ whiteboard. You don’t have to spend hundreds, they sell sheets of the stuff (it’s called showerboard) at any building materials store for about $13 (US). They’ll cut it for you in the store. I built a box frame out of scrap trim lumber so that it was easy to hang on the wall.

My theory is that we are conditioned from an early age that if something is written LARGE on the wall:

1) it must be remembered,

2) it must be important,

3) it must be accomplished.

This is about as low-tech as it gets.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t have a plain whiteboard. But that does sound like a good idea! What I do have is a four month wall calendar that is laminated. I write the dates and anything I need to on it. What’s nice is that it gives me the big picture because I can have the entire semester on it. That way I can see that, yes that is due next month but it’s still only three weeks away so I’d better do it. It’s in the living room and my boyfriend and our roomie also use it. We all have our own colour wet erase marker (I’m purple, heehee) so we can see what everyone is doing. It’s done wonders to keep everyone on the same page.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That works too! I think everybody develops their own system, but the key is to keep trying and refining it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wanted to put blackboard paint on an entire wall in the living room or basement. This would be great for similiar organizational stuff (paint the lines for the calanders, and chalk in the details) but even better for “thinking out loud” when I’m going crazy with an idea that doesn’t seem to want to go from inside my brain to down on a little peice of paper or into a document on my laptop. Mind mapping, sketching, etc.

Also, I have a 2 yr old who likes to draw on the walls, so this would allow him to do so safely. He could have the bottom 3 feet.

It may happen yet. Too bad the stuff is so bloody expensive. Anyone have any wholesale contacts?

Same thing goes double for the BB. People with ADHD should get a special discount or something. Well, maybe once I’m working again….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A agree, eimat, thinking out loud is a lot more fun on a big board. I drew up a project several years ago on a small whiteboard and I never erased it. I just retired the board and hung it in a place of prominence! (It deserved to be my “Wall of Fame” because I’ve been LIVING off of the revenue that project produces for the past 3-1/2 years!)

The blackboard paint is kind of expensive. I looked into that, too. Whiteboards are just neater and easier to clean, IMO. A little bit of rubbing alcohol on a rag and it’s like new. Plus, $13 (U.S.) for a 4×8 sheet really isn’t that bad. With a little one running around, I’d make sure it was anchored to the wall properly.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been using GoogleCalendar/GoogleDocs etc. to coordinate things between us. it can be color coded, you can invite guests to events, share events or documents (even if it is just for the person to view) , AND it can sync up with Outlook or it can also be used on the HTC phones (an Android phone- google programing which is much better built) such as the HTC Legend. Looks exactly like the iPhone.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s funny because I’ve tried so hard several times to become organized electronically, but for me if it isn’t on paper, it doesn’t fell real. My dad was a terrible list writer and i think i’ve learned that habit from him. I’ve recently started writing lists again in the hopes that I will be able to accomplish more. I use a daytimer agenda and have it on me all the time. Then i just highlight activities when they are done.

I would love to get a BB for many different reasons but am curious now about transferring my list taking onto a device like that. Too bad the phone itself is so expensive as well as the data plan :(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheaper whiteboards: GLASSboards!!!

All you need is a framed picture behind glass.

Make sure it’s glass, plastic won’t work.

Either take out the picture, turn it around, and put it back in

(so the blank back of the picture is against the glass)

OR put white or colored paper between the picture and glass.

If necessary, tape a few pieces of paper together or ask a

printshop to sell you a large piece.

Seems like everyone has at least one framed picture they

don’t like that got shoved in the back of a closet or put in

the attic. Ask around, put the word out. Offer something in

trade – I’ve gotten all kinds of things in exchange for a home

cooked meal (nothing fancy, people really appreciate the

effort and the company more than the food.**)

**Thank goodness, because my cooking’s a bit spotty.

But seems like hardly anyone cooks at home anymore

so even the simply foods are more than welcome. Ask

nice and chances are good they’ll help clean up after.

I’ve gotten some with really nice frames. Paint them all the

same color and it actually looks like a planned collection.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDfiremedic

I am fairly new to this site, and have spent several frustrating years trying to find ways to stay organized and on task. The most recent things I have done was to make a daily schedule using excel and also use a smart phone with evernote ( an web based note taking app), and also have several 8 x 10 sheets that are like a blackboard stuck up on the wall in the kitchen to write down reminders and such. So far the biggest helpers are using a daily schedule and evernote. I have the schedule split into blocks of time in which I have certain tasks to do, such as getting the kids ready for school, planning daily activities, chores and errands, etc. It has helped to keep me on track and not lose track of time, and get things done in a timely manner with less procrastination. In my job, structure and routine is very important and I thrive in that kind of environment, so I am introducing more structure and routine into home as well, which has been helpful.

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

@ADDfiremedic, your line:

“I have the schedule split into blocks of time in which I have certain tasks to do”

… was *exactly* what I needed to read to figure out how to better set up and follow my agenda. Thank you for that—and welcome!

REPORT ABUSE

crystalsphinx
    Participant

yeah, busy topic! I can’t live without my iPhone! I use the calendar Ical which syncs up with ical on the computer. It works really well. Just glue it to your wrist! Make sure you have a pocket or one of those phone clips that can attach to your belt. the calendar is best since you can set and plan daily activities, events and tasks. You can also have audible alarms in the calendar format to remind you. I definitely recommend going to the store and chequing out a blackberry, iphone or normal cell phone with a calendar in it and decide which one is best for you.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Shadow…. I suffer the same problem… I’ve created boxes filled with information and now I want to work on a system. I think you’re looking for something, like me, that doesn’t have exorbitant fees attached. I have a good friend who also recommended a ITouch, but you have to have a net connection. The phone used successfully as a phone, the ITouch with all your information and added apps. It’s also a great reference if you need to make a call and check a number at the same time. You can import/export all your information to your computer too as a back up. With WiFi connections you can read your Itouch without the added monthly cost that an Iphone attach.

You are only posting to the Itouch, as a backup to the computer. So carrying around you have your Itouch and phone, both small. You can access the internet from the Itouch.

I hear lots about the Blackberry, but I don’t need the huge monthly costs, but I also don’t want to go backwards technology wise and I sure can use the help with paper organization. I’m so tired of the piles of unorganized papers. Once organized.. I’m really over organized if I have a process in place and I love that!!! So good luck and would love to hear what you come up with!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just thought of something reading through these….i wonder if you can record your own audio message on an iPhone and use it as your alarm tone for moving on to the next task…hmmm

Franklincovey made a bundle from me until i realized the paper system was not good for me. Worked well for my wife…nay for me…anyone want to buy any…:) heck shoot me a message and ill send it to you to try

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

you can record your own message on a Blackberry. I have the Storm it would work well if I knew where I put it….. probably with my iTouch that I missplaced 10 days ago…. still haven’t found it.!

REPORT ABUSE

jameswing

I have been living by my schedule on a PDA/Phone for almost ten years. for the last 5 years I have had a windows phone, and now I can sync it with my work outlook. This had made things so much easier. I have one calendar that follows me everywhere. I have gotten to the point that everything goes into my calendar, and I don’t forget things. I keep my phone on a belt clip that is horizontal. I found that the vertical clips, or the ones that pivot always got in my way, or broke.

The hardest part is getting my wife’s stuff in. She will tell me something, and it won’t get on my schedule, and then she’ll get frustrated when I forget. We are working on her texting me things, so i have it in writing and can put it on my schedule.

I have also linked my outlook calendar to Google so she can check my schedule, which she hates doing.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)