Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Paper work and Emails finally caught up with me!

Paper work and Emails finally caught up with me!2012-09-26T07:38:28+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work Paper work and Emails finally caught up with me!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Carrie

Oh oh oh! A dream about drowning! I always dream my car drives into water and I have to unbuckle myself and then swim to the back get my kids and swim out. I’ve often thought it would be fun to try that in real life… well not with my kids of course and not with the purpose to kill myself but to try and escape! :O

I always mess things up. I just take it as part of the adventure. I quite like how I mess it all up because I come out with far out there ideas to fix it. Its always fun. I never follow the directions to things either. Make it up as I go… If its not working… well bash it and move on hahahaha

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Yes!!! Directions? Forget it! I won’t follow ’em either, and I too imagine all kinds of weird things. Remember that movie ‘Flatliners’? I used to ask people to play that with me, but they thought that I was nuts. I just wanted to be clinically dead so that I could have a quick look around to see what was going on over on the other side, but able to be to brought back to life before it was too late and permanent!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Well that would be interesting. Ive never thought about that before. Well if im ever on my death bed I’ll try it out. But far too risky to try when its time to live. hahahaha If I was guaranteed to come back I would in a heart beat (no pun intended, though that was a good mistake of a cheesy pun)

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

I’ve often thought too what it would be like to walk around in an Arab suit with a tea towel thingy on my head to see what response the robots would have, or to be in a wheelchair for a day tearing about all over the place hollering and bellowing at people to get out the way, or pretending to have a heart attack on the ground somewhere to see if anybody would try and rescue me….ever got annoyed at not being able to get a car park somewhere? Once I got so annoyed at being stuck in a logjam of traffic on my way to watch a football final that I just said to my mates ‘fuck this I’ve got an idea’ and then drove a few hundred meteres on the footpath to along the road adjacent to the stadium (about 6 lanes of traffic) and then parked on the footpath directly across from the gates. I told my mates to leave the windows half way down and the doors unlocked, and without further ado we walked about 50 metres straight into the stadium. To the utter amazement of my mates the car was still there after the game (3 hours later) and I hadn’t been issued with a parking ticket!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Wow! Thats crazy! People just don’t think when they see things like that, they just assume its as it should be. I saw a documentary about a man with narcolepsy and when ever he fell asleep in public and fell to the ground, his wife said hardly anyone would stop and ask if he was okay. There are quite a bit of studies like that. One guy put a sack over his head, had his hands tied behind his back and laid on the ground. Most people just walked by. Few stopped.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Yeah, I dunno, for so long I’ve sort of just arrived at the conclusion that most people are so effectively indoctrinated that it’s like a form of hypnosis. I’ve just never had the inclination, or ability I suppose, to conform. If I was the odd man out by all myself it never seemed to bother me. At times it was embarrassing, but I got used to just being me.I’m still getting used to being me, but I’d never adopt the vernacular, mannerisms, or attire to ‘belong’ to a group. I just did whatever took my fancy and if meant being a pariah everywhere then that was okay too, for I just could not make the compromises to ‘belong’ to any group. As a kid I usually always had lots of friends, and kids soon learnt that it was never boring hanging out with me, but as I’ve aged I’ve had less and less friends. Especially now in my mid 40’s. I just don’t think or act like a well programmed robot and that’s rather confronting for most people. I don’t know why, and I don’t really care either… 😆 I wish that there was a larger selection of those lil funny faces to choose from!

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

ok you guys lost me – how did we get from Carrie being swamped with email ( the original title of the thread if you forgot!) to jumping off roofs?

Ahhh nevermind….this is an ADD forum..:-) AND I didn’t read all the posts either!

Sooo Anyway, I would agree with Amy and say setting aside a particular time of day ( or maybe two – beginning and end of day for example). In my case I’m behind with reading info type stuff that is relevant to my job and it occurred to me today that I should set aside a particular day in the week where I spend time reading things that I have to in order to keep informed. So that’s why this post caught my eye.

Obviously I don’t know the particular circumstances of how you are supposed to organize your day according to management Carrie, but I would suspect that there are other nurses who don’t read everything they are supposed to either because they are busy ( or , yes procrastinating!)

Perhaps a way to deal with the fallout is to bring up the issue of professional organization and suggest to “management” that nurses need to have time to read important work related emails, do paperwork etc as part of their day because look what happened! Act outraged yourself and be proactive to take the focus off of your particular glitch.

I know paperwork is boring ( trust me I am the Queen of Paperwork Avoidance) but the fact remains that it is vital to the performance of your job. I don’t think you need to bring ADD into the equation.

Besides, as a member of the public I would hope someone out there is looking after the efficiency of the system ( ok everybody stop laughing – I can hear you….) and bringing it up might save a life or two in the future.

Then again, perhaps I’m too much of an optimist , after all , I too jumped off roofs as a kid !! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Carrie –

I’m a nurse too and the paperwork and documentation killllll meeeeee!! Sure, I can put in a foley, start an IV, pass meds, etc, but then wait, you want me to accurately document what I just did in the last hour? Uhm…..

I usually put off documenting because it messes up my patient care rhythm to keep picking the pen up, and then I procrastinate more because I know it’s going to be tedious. I want one of those dogs collars that takes pictures every five minutes, that way I can look back and see what I was doing!

Do you guys have a Kardex where you work? When I worked in the hospital I started my shifts by looking at the Kardexes since they usually have diet, labs/tests due, activity level, whatever on them. They aren’t fail-proof, but they were much easier for me than digging through the chart for each patient.

Do your friends give you crap about being a nurse with ADHD? My friends always joke (most of the time after I have done something really stupid or absent-minded) that they can’t believe I haven’t killed anyone yet! I know they are just joking and I laugh along with them, but then sometimes I think to myself ‘yeah, I can’t believe that either!’. I think all nurses end up making mistakes even without ADD just because of the pace and the patient load!

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Wow, you girls are very brave doing that job! The responsibilities alone would deter me from ever embarking on that sort of job. Ye Gods, then there’d be the prospect of seeing yukky stuff every day…blood, broken things, smashed up people from car crashes, and even dead people *shudder*…..big respect to you both! *kiss* I don’t have the constitution for that kind of stuff. Too confronting….*runs away*….

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Nellie – I suppose the other nurses dont read everything. I know they dont. I just feel if I dont I will miss something. I hate it when a doctor or any other person be it OT, PT, RCAs, dietician ask me something and I say… umm… I dont know.. Ive just been on days off.

SayWhat – We don’t have Kardex’s anymore. Only “Care Plans” which don’t help with recent events going on like UTIs, AB, etc. They have our nurses notes all in one binder for all the residents. I go through that entire thing… well from my days off until my days back. Then we have our calendar to check and see whats going on with who for the day. Who needs a follow up assessment for a trial, blah blah blah. I need to check the wound care binder for new directives. Old faxes to see what has been sent, what needs a follow up blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Then double check orders against the MAR. And yes. Just like you, I hold off on my charting until the end. But im tired of scrambling to get all my notes in before the shift exchange so Ive been doing better at charting as soon as I can. I always keep notes with me so I dont forget.

I also havent told anyone at work that I have ADD. Some of my co-workers call me “absent minded” and “all over the map” so they tend to remind me probably more often than they remind the other nurses. I also always tell them to remind me. When im on meds I remember things. Without…. well… I dont know how I did it before! I even tell the residents to make sure and call me back if I don’t return with whatever they needed with in 10 mins. When things are crazy at work im on top of it all. Just NOT THE STUPID PAPER CRAP!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)