Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

PMS + ADD = Danger Zone

PMS + ADD = Danger Zone2010-01-22T15:37:36+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Other PMS + ADD = Danger Zone

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

PammyJean

At some points during my period, I feel like I could/should hurl the nearest large appliance out the front window just to relieve some tension. Other times I have to convince myself that vertical is a much more productive way to spend the day. Being at home with 2 small kids is tough with this going on.

So, I’ve taken up running. My first 1/2 marathon will be this June. It’s helped a ton. It’s time-consuming, and my house is a mess, but we’re all much happier.

REPORT ABUSE

Bettyboo

Hello PammyJean, I do understand what you mean by hurling the nearest large appliance and I’ve really made a point of keeping track of how I feel every month. Since Ive done that I can actually figure out more or less when / why I’m feeling overwhelmed. I find I can judge what I need to eat or stay away from…also, my family is a little safer from my unpredictable behaviour ;-). I dont have small munckins anymore but we all do get our period at the same time so my husband probably suffers more than anyone else. I have spoken with my dr and well it’s always the same…it is only a couple of days in the month and it’s not worth changing the meds. I do find I stay away from caffeine / wine during that time and find I need to work out a lot more.

Half a marathon, excellent…who cares about the house as long as you don’t find a extra child all is good…keep us posted on how you are doing. I’ve competed in the world master games in Edmonton – I was involved in the sprinting, 100, 200, 400 and played soccer and it was so much fun…I have to give you absolute credit because we had to run 5 k every week and I hated the long distance. So…good job. I did medal in the relay races and a bronze in the 100 and silver in the 400…we are set to go to the Italy games.

Bye for now!!

Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

PammyJean

Elizabeth, I congratulate you on your achievements!

When do you go to Italy? Best of luck!

Thanks for your support. I had to quit soccer after 30 years (neck injury) and really felt the loss. My self-esteem and stress level were in bad shape. This running thing has really saved me (and others) from myself.

Feeling more Incredible than Hulk lately!

REPORT ABUSE

Bettyboo

PammyJean, thanks for that. I believe that the games are in 4 years.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

tinascha!! thank you so much for the suggestion! turns out i have Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). woot! woot! something else to add on to my already built up list of meds to take. yay! i don’t know how i’m still able to walk around. hahahaha, just playin.

but seriously though, thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi ladies! My whole journey to this point started with really bad PMS symptoms. I used to feel like i was having an out of body experience. I could see myself acting/reacting inappropriately but didn’t have the control to stop it. For years now I have warned my husband that it was the week before my TOM (time of month) just so he would know why I wasn’t myself. The most recent thing has been that the 2 days or so right before I start, I get very paranoid and clingy with people. I’m constantly afraid that people are upset with me or that i’ve done something wrong and this causes me to need reassurance. My closest friends do their best but I know it must be difficult for them to constantly have to reassure me that they like me and yes we’re friends and what not. I have no idea where this behaviour comes from but the best I can do is to try to remember that it’s going to come up and do my best to keep to myself during that phase.

Well, when I approached this with my family doctor she started me on low dose anti depressants and from there everything spiraled. The antidepressants were constantly being increased (almost every 3 weeks) and she also diagnosed me as bipolar II. Both those diagnoses are being challenged by a new Dr. who feels that ADD may well be the culprit. I’m a little nervous since this month I have gone off a mood stabilizer and anti depressant and am taking Dexedrine as a trial to see if it improves anything. I’ll be anxious to see what happens the week before.

Anyways, I am happy to see that i’m not the only one dealing with this issue and that this too may be related to ADD.

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

Ladies, I hate to break it to you, but if you think your PMS is bad now just wait until you hit perimenopause!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

BuxomDiva- AAAAck! Oh no! Please tell us it gets better after that! Us girls have a roller coaster of a life I tell you! As if we didn’t adjust enough w/ ADD! There is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere right? ha ha! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Buxom…. very funny. Very true.

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

One of the things my doctor did NOT warn me about is that I woke up one day with the libido of a teenaged boy. I’m still trying to find him to give it back!

You know that whole impulsivity thing a lot of us have to contend with on a good day? You have NO idea how close I have come to just jumping a certain local musician who is drop dead gorgeous…

and a year younger than my firstborn!

~sigh~

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@BuxomDiva!!

OMG! I have the same thing!!

Talk about raging menopausal hormones!!!!!!!!!!! It’s just like a pendulum that swings in the extremes.

It is NOT fun dealing with the impulsive/hormonal combination when you are just trying to get through the day and do what you need to do. I’ve actually just thought of staying home for a couple of days.

It always happens at the end of my Auntie’s visit..perhaps that’s when there is a major hormone swing towards testosterone??

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have known for a while that I have PMDD. (I track my symptoms on a calendar because a few days out of the month they REALLY interfere with my activities of daily living) and I can “lose-it” in public, or cry or curse a lot—and I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or lose my job! I have not officially been diagnosed with AADD—but I got a “perfect” score on the test on this site—LOL, perfect, meaning well…you know! I had ALL of the signs and symptoms.

My brother is a genius and a mech. engineer, and he knew he had it (as an adult) YEARS ago. He takes meds. I still need to go see someone, but I’m currrently finishing a 3rd degree and have NO health insurance.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)