Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Procrastination!

Procrastination!2011-07-12T23:29:02+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a heck of a time getting started – it’s definitely the procrastination thing – can’t prioritize so spend a lot of time staring into space trying to decide what to do next and exactly how I’m going to do it. Once I’ve finally settled down and I’m “in the zone,” things go a lot smoother. Though I sometimes get dissatisfied or frustrated and quit before I’m finished. Usually a problem with longer jobs than shorter ones.

Don’t know what to say – I’m avoiding several tasks right now by posting here. Lord help me.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I procrastinate with the best of ’em, but sometimes it looks like I’m procrastinating but really it’s that I can’t /don’t know how to get started because:

I spend ages trying to get started because can’t find the stuff I need to be able to get on with it.

I have to start again after a break because I’ve forgotten what I’ve already done.

I make a positive start, but on the wrong thing by mistake.

I start on what I think is the ‘right’ thing, but it’s not the most urgent thing after all.

So, even when I can get motivated to start, and I’m really working, I’m not doing what I should be doing. That’s not counting the times I start on the right thing and get side-tracked by the shiny!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

One other issue is that when your list gets so long – you can’t decide on which to do first, can’t make a choice or decision.

Lists are great, but longer lists actually are a detriment – at least to me.

Give me a list of 2 or 3 and I’m ok.

Otherwise I spend so much time looking over the list – nothing else gets done but listing.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

And lists can be really demoralising as they’re there – taunting me with all the things I haven’t managed to get done! That’s if I can remember where I put it!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

And lists can be really demoralising as they’re there – taunting me with all the things I haven’t managed to get done! That’s if I can remember where I put it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

PROcrastination huh? fell off a motor cycle yesterday, may have a cracked knee cap but I’m on this website with an ice pack chewing advil like candy…. somebody boot me out!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

pOIsUnEyeVEE =( I hope you begin to feel better soon. I fractured my pelvis in a motor vehicle accident 8 months ago and it REALLY REALLY REALLY SUCKED!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

cracked my kneecap horizontally across the middle a few years back. Wasn’t fun. Aluminum extension ladder inside the garage stringing wire for door opener. Floor was smooth – maybe a bit damp from evening dew.

My ADHD self just knew it would be ok since the ladder had some rubber grips on the bottom, so I didn’t think to brace the ladder from slipping.

Ladder slipped, I went down 14′ to the concrete floor, my right knee impacting a ladder rung and bending it…… after a few seconds, I was sweating and groggy and called for help. Neighbor heard me and called ambulance.

Me + ADHD = deadly accident prone clutz

Tiddler sums up a lot of me in those posts…….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

when I was a kid, I got into this bad bicycle accident because I forgot to use my brakes.. seriously.. i was used to the footbrake and somehow didn’t make the connection about the handbreak until it was too late.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

uh, yeah, that sounds familiar. Go back and forth between an automatic in a car, and a stick…… wow.

REPORT ABUSE

Babyjo

Does anyone have any anti-procrastination tips? I just started grad school and I’m already falling behind. It’s week two, for God’s sake. They’re going to kick me out if I don’t pull a B in both classes. One of my classes is online and I am really struggling to make myself do it. Any tips? I’m on Adderall which helps the hyperactivity and impulsivity, but doesn’t seem to be doing shit for my concentration and focus.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I successfully completed a professional accounting designation but it was hard work, I used to say “nobody had better get sick, get married, give birth or die when I’m in the program”. I was working and studying at the same time, so the workload for study wasn’t full time. It was hard to juggle a 50 hr work week with a 20 hr study week, or thereabouts.

I gave up every single hobby I had, and focused on studies. No surprise that I have no friends as a result, and missed a lot of family gatherings.

One of the things that was helpful to me was to reward myself at every step of the way. At first it started out as dinner out if I’d passed an exam (every 12 weeks), but that increased to getting perfect marks on my assignments, etc. It worked to help keep me motivated.

The other thing I did was start early, so as soon as my books and assigments arrived in August, I started studying. The worst thing is to fall behind, with the workload and deadlines. So get caught up and stay caught up. Decide what kind of environment you study best in, and create it or go there. Do whatever you have to do to get there.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

O M G, No Dope!!!!

That is amazing! Is there an ADHD Order of Canada, cause they should give it to you. Speaking as an ADHD Accountant myself, I feel your pain, but my goodness, what an accomplishment!

You just made my day!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey Bill! That’s very interesting that you are also an accountant! I had to give it up, have never been able to work at any one job for longer than 5 years (2 is the average) but now I work for myself in a non-accounting field. I’m glad I did the program and worked in manufacturing for awhile, though.

In contrast, as a student in public, high school and university, I was distracted, didn’t know how to study, and didn’t see the value of what I was learning. As an adult learner later in life (36 yrs of age), I was paying for the courses and was determined to at least give it a realistic shot. Somewhere along the line I figured out how to study, and also obviously how to get beyond the distractions. I still have a lot of electronic music gear that got packed away during my studies that have never re-surfaced. Maybe THAT’s the box I should open next :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Johane

Congratulations No Dope on getting that designation (even if you’re no longer in the accounting field…) My husband just got his this week, and I know the level of work that goes into it – as an ADHD outside observer.

Your right though, you’ve got to stay ahead of the curve and whatever you can do to give yourself a head start is a bonus. As soon as you fall behind it’s an uphill climb. Not impossible, just that much harder. I’ve recently started yet another blog (sound familiar?) and I’ve been trying to create a blog post bank (posts ready to publish at a moment’s notice) only to be sidetracked and procrastinating. Yeah… I fight it, but I always get sucked right into the procrastination quick sands all too quickly. Today’s work was meant to be on recipe development and to re-edit a prepared post on the pantry basics people should have on hand. What do I write? A whole article on ADHD. If you’d like to have a good laugh check it out… http://cookingcacophony.blogspot.com

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)