Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Psychologist says he is curing ADHD

Psychologist says he is curing ADHD2015-07-21T12:07:42+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Most Hostile/Ignorant Thing I've Heard Psychologist says he is curing ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

amy86
    Participant

I went to see a psychologist last week who says he has been curing ADHD for the last 11 years with tDCS, transcranial direct current stimulation. I asked him how often he was doing follow ups with these people, and he said “Never, I cure them and they never come back.” Really?!? Aren’t you just a little curious how these people are doing 3, 5, 10 years out? Guess not…

I lamented that I could never stick with anything, and chronically disorganized and he asked me “Why?” “Why can’t you finish anything?” He told me most people are diagnosed with ADHD as children, and asked me why at 40 years old why I thought I had it. His aloofness and cold demeanor was completely off-putting.

I never thought I would leave worse than when I came. Anybody else with fantasies about dumping a bottle of water on a mental health professional on the way out the door?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Good for you for calling him on this!

Anyone who claims to be able to “cure” ADHD is a fraud. You can no more cure ADHD than you can permanently change your brown eyes to blue.

If a practitioner claims a huge success rate, but doesn’t have any hard data, over a long period of time, to prove it, that’s also the mark of a charlatan.

And if he’s charging thousands of dollars for treatments with gadgets and methods that have been thoroughly debunked by legitimate scientific testing, that’s the third sign of a quack.

Science-Based Medicine, Quackwatch, and the FDA have quite a bit to say about those brain-stimulating claims, and it’s not good.

I’m reading a 1931 book called “100,000,000 Guinea Pigs”, which details the deadly “wild west” that existed before the FDA finally got the strong laws and enforcement resources it needed to protect the public. Some of the same scams and methods are still bring used today, in slightly different forms, including devices that use electrical and/or magnetic stimulation.

Plus ca change…

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Don’t forget about the ones that have the pills and diets. Charlatan. There is one doing what amounts to an infomercial on our PBS station and every time I see it, I go ballistic.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Shutterbug55, WNED keeps airing highly questionable “junk science” health specials like that. But will they air “ADD…And Loving It?!” or “…Mastering It?!”?

Hell no!

REPORT ABUSE

lindsey3

Please report this man – don’t hesitate. As others are saying, he is definitely a charlatan.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 54 – my whole life explained – wow, what a relief. Please don’t take on board this ignorant man’s view, and continue to find the right people to help you. For me, I have problems as a result of ADHD,  but also know that that many of my magic moments and successes in life are because of ADHD. Knowledge and understanding is helping so much. Don’t give up!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

amy86 – He’s clearly an arrogant idiot too. If they don’t come back for a follow up then they are more likely to have gone elsewhere than be cured. Who knows what damage he’s doing.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I’m just thrilled someone is curing ADHD. And I love his confidence, no need to  do any follow up.  Funny, you’d think he’d want proof of his methods so that he could promote his miracle cure… Ahem.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)