Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Quick Concerta users survey!

Quick Concerta users survey!2011-03-02T20:16:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Quick Concerta users survey!

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

caper

I found my concerta alone worked wonders for anger management.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Concerta dose is 90 mg. in the morning. (= 2 X 36 mg. and 1 X 18 mg.) I have also been given regular ritalin to take in the evening if I need to be on task for an activity. The dose is high but it works for me and it is allowable according to a website. (.caddac I think) Time for bed. I have to be at school by 7 tomorrow morning so I need to get back to a more regular sleep cycle……if there such a thing.

:D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was on 54mg however, during those 6 weeks I lost 17lbs (I’m not big to begin with) because I was unable to eat, the nausea was intense and constant. I also experienced sudden crashing in the late afternoons and could barely keep my brain alive long enough to put one foot in front of the other. Then, just for more fun stuff, I developed photosensitivity from the sun when it hit the skin on my arms, instant hot baking sensation, itching and OW! plus I always wear 60 SPF before going outside, even in the winter! So, my doctor took me off the Concerta and put me on Dexedrine slow release 30 mg. So far, not quite the right dosage so I expect he may increase it to 45mg when I see him in 10 days, but for now I am able to focus somewhat better than on 15mg. I feel like “I’m almost there” but not quite. We’ll see, maybe it’ll be enough by the time 10 days rolls around. At least I can eat now! Concerta 54mg wasn’t quite enough either. But the physical side effects were bumming me out and the price was exorbitant compared to the Dexedrine. I do hate this changing meds until you find the right one…it’s a real pain in the butt to me and I dislike it a lot. On either one of these meds, I drop off to sleep at night at around 10:30 PM and sleep like the dead until 5:30, 6 AM…so, right there, I am WAY ahead of the game:)

REPORT ABUSE

caper

skin sensitivity, always wear 60SPF… sounds like low vitamin D.

Check out vitamindcouncil.org.

Besides the issues with vitamin D, I suggest everyone with any health issues (mental or physical) get full bloodwork; iron, D, B12, magnesium, hormones, etc.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

So, here I am all excited because I have figured out what the heck is wrong, and my Dr. put me on Concerta 18mg. Yesterday on my way home from the pharmacy, I couldn’t wait to get home to see this work. So I take it and…. nothing. Well, I shouldn’t say nothing, just a teeny bit of a temper. Nothing else. Today: woke up took it and just a repeat of yesterday.

My Dr. said, “You will notice it right away” and asked me to come back in 2 weeks. After reading all these posts, I see that higher doses and/or other medication is required. Needless to say I think I will go back in 1 week, unless something changes.

He also stopped my Cipralex, which I have been on for years. Usually you have to slowly reduce Cipralex, no? Is there something in Concerta that will combat the coming off of Cipralex?

Story of my life – get soooo excited about something, it consumes me, then when it doesn’t meet my high expectations, I am disappointed. I suppose nothing ever usually meets my expectations, and probably won’t until I get the right combo of therapy to manage this! LOL.

Curious to see if anyone had the big fat nothing with 18mg Concerta, and their journey since (incerase? to what? how long? switch medicine?)

Thanks a bunch!

REPORT ABUSE

caper

I started at 36 (self-medicated) which greatly improved my impulse control (angry/frustrated outbursts). Then I tried 27 which wasn’t as good. Then I went to my doctor and got a prescription. We discussed 36 or 54, and decided to go with 54.

You could call your doctor before your next appointment & ask if it is OK to try 2 of the 18mg (i.e. 36mg total).

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

So checked and all good to go with the 36mg, thanks for the suggestions! On day 2 and have noticed the following positive effects:

– not so fidgety

– able to see more detail in things (hard to explain that one!)

– more focus on activities I love

But… I am feeling the following negative effects:

– lack of appetite

– mild to moderate nausea

– bit more ‘edgy’, easily startled

– time feels like it drags by…

– more avoidance of activities I don’t love… more procrastination!

Overall still impatient, distracted, low self esteem etc.

Any thoughts on whether these things go away with time? Is it too early to give up on Concerta? Ugh, guess I better start practicing better patience (heehee)!

Any encouragement/recommendations would be great (she types as she is about to run to the bathroom to dry heave…)

REPORT ABUSE

kozmic

I was recently diagnosed by a psychologist. I went to a psychologist after watching your documentary on PBS and could not believe you were describing my life!

I too was prescribed 18mg to start and “nothing”. Tried the second day, still nothing! I am going to try 36mg and see what happens. Then I will call my doctor to get the dosage changed. I am in a career that is multi-tasking all day long. I love it, but it is also very stressful as I try to prioritize, keep organized and concentrate. I truly thought there was something wrong with me as I looked at other people in the office with heavy work loads and they seemed to be able to do the work. My doctor is very green in this field. She is very nervous about prescibing this type of medication. She got the information on medications for ADD from the psychiatric association in our city she will only prescribe medication that is for people in my age group (over 40). I believe that is Ritalin, Concerta, and Adderall. I hope I can find some success in this group of meds.

REPORT ABUSE

caper

Lucky77: I know a girl who was having nausea with Concerta. She was switched to Vyvanse, which has been working much better.

Low self-esteem is not a characteristic of ADD, so I wouldn’t expect any improvement there. For me Concerta made a huge difference with impulse control (emotional outbursts). Going a day without yelling at my school-age kids used to be an accomplishment for me. Now going a week is achievable.

I can’t say I’ve had a material improvement in distractibilty or procrastination.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

kozmic: would love to hear how you make out with your medication journey… also interesting that you have “nothing” on 18mg! I am going through diagnosis right now, and one thing they do is send the notes to my family Dr., so they understand the diagnosis as well as recommended medications. Since you have been to the psych, curious to see if any recommendations she received from psych assoc were specific to you and your case, or just general info.

caper: glad to hear I am not alone! Was it fairly quick after she started on Concerta that she switched? Yes, self esteem is not a characteristic, but can be a side effect of failing at the many demands and expectations at work/home. I can empathize with the blow ups with school aged children… I am a member of that club, too! I find I am worse with my husband though, which it’s a wonder how we have been together over 10 years!!

I will see my Dr. on Friday and will hopefully see where I will be at with dosage or switching. Will post an update!

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Just wanted to post an update – My Dr. Said that all those side effects is not worth it, and there were enough options to switch. We talked about Adderall and Vyvanse, and we decided on Adderall xr 15mg.

Happy to report today was the first day and little to no side effects! I did feel it helped with focus and felt as though my patience and anxiety were under control! Funny, looking back, I realize that Concerta likely wasnt the one for me… But I do realize everyone is different and has different reactions. It has obviously worked for a ton of people, just not me!

So, now it looks like I will be switching to the ‘Adderall XR” message board… LOL!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Question: I was on Adderall 30 mg (Not XR) and was frustrated because I was noticing it was making me more agitated. Heard great reviews of Concerta so decided to switch. Doc started me on 36 mg of the generic version. Not agitated anymore, but am tired and back to feeling like my brain is going 30 different directions =( . I do feel A LOT more tired! Called doc and asked about getting a lower dosage, told him what was going on. He is happy to try it and see if that will help~ I know it’s making me tired, but I also know going lower could fail to help alleviate the issue.

Am lost as to what to do

REPORT ABUSE

wcz

I was diagnosed with ADHD about two months ago. DR gave me a sample bottle of 36mg to start with and try. They worked fine for a while then I started noticing that maybe a touch more might be better but wtf do I know. Went in yesterday and explained this to my doc…and now I am on 54 mg. First day today and all is well so far.I was very worried about even taking meds at first as my wife is heavily in to alternative cures and I knew it would be difficult to even try and use them and expect the comments back from her. She kinda accepts it I think but we got separated anyways so what does it matter… All I know is since I started on the meds I feel much better actually I feel awesome. Guess the best advice I have is consult a good counselor and have a good doc and it seems to work out. Rushing it didoes help but that is easy to say now. Good Luck everyone I know I am glad Im on it. Part of my healing trip.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Day 1 on Concerta. 18mg. Felt clearer and more calm, confident. Accomplished several things at work. Was told by one coworker I seemed more in control of myself, less frantic. The more telling comment from another co worker, after getting coffee I put up sweetner AND closed the cabinet door. I was intent on doing better at work. The follow through on the coffee was inadvertent, organic. Of course, it’s almost 1:00 am and I’m still up, so we’ll see about that….. 😯

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I lowered my dose to 36mg about a week ago – I think that was the right decision.

Funny thing – above, I said “I can’t imagine less- this works great and few side effects.” (That was on 56mg) A couple weeks later I was miserable with side effects – mainly this zombie feeling at the times when the dose was at it’s highest in my system. I felt stimulated, yet unable to function at the same time. A large part of my day became unproductive.

Now, so far, on 36mg I’m having an entire day of productivity – as long as I don’t drink caffeine or skip lunch. I’m liking it…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)