Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Scared to take Medicine

Scared to take Medicine2011-04-02T19:50:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin Scared to take Medicine

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

laddybug3: If you have ADHD, you don’t control you. That’s the issue. If it’s been many years since you tried them, your body has grown and changed it might be worth trying again if the side effects of ADHD are impairing your life or making life more uncomfortable than it needs to be. I have noticed in other posts, that those who have tried meds successfully are more in control of their thoughts and actions. Take the meds or don’t take them. I don’t advocate for or against. You need to do what’s best for you.

HME and Lindstr7: Sounds like you’re both anti-meds so here is a non-med technique for you to use in blogs and forums: Think before you type. Write it in Word, read it out loud, edit, then copy and paste if you think what you are saying makes any sense and won’t offend or confuse people who might not know as much as you apparently do, then send post. Also, I see you throwing around your “research” like you know everything for sure without actually citing your sources. Cite your sources so we can all check them out. Use MLA format or simply put the actual web site. Otherwise it’s like those urban legends that get started through an email that says check out Snopes. At the very least, it will help your spelling and grammar and run-on sentences (which is SO ADHD!)

And yes, I will, as you invite me to, “blame the ADHypoD”. Sounds like you could use some meds. ;-)

RE: Plant diets: they are A LOT of work and those of us a little or those a lot overweight find those kinds of recommendations almost useless ESPECIALLY if we have ADHD. Even if I was diagnosed with cancer and told that an all plant diet would save me, it would be a HUGE challenge to actually put it all together. It consumes your life since there is so much extra planning, shopping and preparing. It’s hard enough having ADHD to maintain anything for long periods of time. (esp. w/o meds)

PS: I stated in an earlier post that Adderall XR put holes in my bladder (Interstitial cystitis). That was because I did not take it as prescribed. I did not drink enough water and often took it on an empty stomach sometimes. It was very ADD of me, I know, but I paid the price.

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

2Raddled – ummm thanks for the advice but I don’t think you read my entire post. I recommend that if you’re going to comment on someone’s post, read the whole thing ;) I am not anti-meds, and in fact I was defending my decision to take them (see post). Also, I don’t have a word processing app. so I apologize for my misspellings. But hey, its an internet forum, not english 101 ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, Lindstr7, isn’t it funny that 2Raddled lumped us in together – here you are calling me mean, arrogant, and dangerous, and s/he comes along and demands that we use the MLA when we post. Well, 2Raddled, I was trained to use the APA guidelines so I’ve gone back to typing two spaces after a period, as my fingers have been aching to do since the late 80s. Being made to go back and delete that irritating little space was a huge time waster. F**k the MLA (I’m using the stars just to protect the sensibilities of readers who are offended by seeing the word on the page.) You should know that spellcheckers don’t work where it really matters, so I wouldn’t push those, either; in any event, this forum has the spellchecker turned on. — Ha ha! I had to edit this – the spellchecker on this forum deletes the second space after a period! Joke’s on me, eh?

It’s hurtful that Linda called me names in her previous posts, trying to taunt me with the blood pressure medications and all those other analogies which are effing boring already. “Oh, you’re bi-polar, it’s no different than being a diabetic” – well, no, no one’s bi-polar, the psychiatrist just needed more subjects for his study, and of course more dollars in his pocket. And Diabetes is extremely responsive to dietary changes, so advertising it as an inevitable chronic condition that can only be controlled by prescription medication is just another big-pharma-and-their-lackey-doctors’ lie. You can try all you like, but you can’t change my personal life experience – and I take comfort in knowing that Dr Oz, for example, wouldn’t take a statin if you put a gun to his head (ok, this I haven’t researched. Feel free to correct me on that).

If you knew me you’d know that I use the word clever in contexts such is, what a smart and clever cat. It’s just a way of saying, I know you’re smart enough, now go think for yourself. I honestly don’t think that anyone here is stupid, though many are non-standard spellers, that’s true enough, but that’s completely prevalent these days, even in institutions of higher education. I would argue that it is not a marker of AD/HD (A Divine and Holy Dimension), but rather that it’s distributed evenly among both sides of the divide. I happen to be an excellent speller, thank you very much – in three languages, too. Just because you were diagnosed with ADD or ADHD doesn’t mean you can blame everything on it.

So – to say that Bill Clinton said in an interview with Wolf Blitzer that he switched to a strictly plant-based diet doesn’t really need a citation or even a “retrieved from” link. Go look it up if you really want to, you lazy so-and-so. I know that I don’t spread urban myths to the best of my ability; I’m not trying to appear condescending, but I worked in journalism (NOT Fox), and I was trained very, very well to get everything from two independent and reliable sources. What are my sources for my health decisions? Watch 2Raddled get really addled now!!

I like David Wolfe, and Mike ADams, and Dr Mercola, and Ron Teeguarden and even Gary Null, and certainly going all the way back to Adelle Davis. Have I dated myself enough? These are the usual suspects, but there is Dr Northrup, and Dr Hyla Cass, and on and on and on. I’ve been into whole nutrition and alternative modalities for over thirty years; Adelle Davis I read in high school. Voraciously, if I might add. My cousin is married to a neurosurgeon at a major teaching hospital in the largest city in the US. But it took me to tell her about Maca to completely eliminate her symptoms of the menopausal change. Yes, absolutely – no hot flashes, no night sweats and sleepless nights. Gone within 36 hours, never to return. And who did I learn this from? Ruth, from Ruth’s Hemp Foods. What else does hemp do for us? It’s one of the best plant-based sources for omega-3, in an optimal ratio with the -6 and -9 in it. What I’m getting at is that there is a solid, good, viable network out there. Does Whole World Botanicals make money from sourcing ethically-grown, organic Maca root, and responsibly processing and packaging it? Absolutely. But until I can relocate to the high Andes in Peru, I have to rely on them. But I would much rather spend my money on them and the Peruvian farmers than on Eli Lilly and their deadly schemes. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that Eli Lilly et al. are on your side. They are NOT. They’re friends with the likes of Donald Rumsfeld – please, watch “Sweet Misery”. You really need a clickable link? OK, I know that getting off this page means you’re more than likely to not make it back. So I’ll post a couple at the end of this post. And – now I’ve lost you. Bye bye.

I find it a meditative experience, preparing food from scratch, and I feel very good when I do it. Do I do it every day? No, I don’t do the dishes every day, either. But when I don’t prepare my own food I make a point of eating organic vegetables, fruits, and some cooked rice and quinoa. I don’t eat meat because nobody wants to die, and I can’t not see the animal that lived before that chunk of flesh was dropped on my plate. All this is to say, I am as much an individual as you are. I think, Raddled, that like everyone (yes, that includes me, and everyone else) on internet forums, you’re looking for a little pressure release vent. So… how well are your drugs working for you? Are you controlling your rage?

If you’ve seen “ADD and Loving It”, you’ve heard Kate Kelly say that she is off medication. This would be my PERSONAL choice for a source of advice. I would at least like to find out how and why she did it. I agree with someone else who wrote, having a coach to help with the organization of the business of life goes a very, very long way toward improving the situation. Just knowing what’s going on is an enormous part of the cure, if a cure is sought or even exists, or of at least coping with the symptoms.

Anyway, this is getting really long, I have no doubt that I am now alone on my soap box on the street corner, the sun has set and the lone street lamp squints with a forgiving nod as if to say, it’s ok, go home, get some rest.

Links:

Street corner apple box: http://youtu.be/IIyZvc3aH0s

Sweet Misery: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6551291488524526735#

Some totally radical civil protest: http://youtu.be/JuxSEvFkPiQ

This got a lot of love and a lot of hate and a lot of viewers, but will work very well for ADHD Pride Day: http://youtu.be/OPR3GlpQQJA

Go, read whatever YOU are into, educate yourself. God Bless Tim Berners-Lee and Jimmy Wales. I know where my tribe is.

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Oy vey. HME Can you cite your resources and advocate your preferred approach without condescending to the posters here who do things differently? Belittling others for their way of doing things wins you few fans. I’m definitely interested in the things you have to say, and I’m not sure why you’re so bristled that everyone isn’t immediately jumping on your band wagon and abandoning their preferred method of treatment.

You have valid points to make and I personally value your input (and your resources). I just thought this remark was offensive : “I have to say that the discussion here sounds like a bunch of teenagers who just go their medical marijuana cards and are busy trying and comparing every single strain on the market…” …. not the best way to invite people into your “tribe.”

This forum is about sharing and I welcome everything you have to offer and intend to have a look at your sources.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lindstr7: Well said. Sorry, I linked you with HME. I agree with you. Nobody needs to get “rattled”… And I like your approach to dealing with your ADHD… sorry again. I like the line in the ADD and Loving it videos that says “If you’ve met one person with ADD… You’ve met one person with ADD.”

Reality is just an escape for people who can’t handle drugs ;-)

JOKE there HME…. lighten up. There’s a support group for people who can’t stop talking… it’s call OnAnOn…. :-D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

oh my goodness. i see a few pairs of knickers present, and they appear to be tangled into rather a lot of knots. don’t make me run crying to the moderators, grownup peoples.

we’re doing the source citing thing? really? do we have to? and what the hell is an MLA? MartiaL Art? Mother Loada Attitude? Mixed Lettuce Appetizer?

plant based diets really don’t *have* to be a lot of work, i’m the queen of laziness and i manage it without inducing my own death on a regular basis. they sell cans of beans around here, i got a ricecooker, and veggies come frozen these days. but yeah- if people don’t wanna try something, or they’ve tried it already, given it a damned good go, and it doesn’t work well enough for them personally, relative to the amount of effort that they feel they have to input- be it easy or hard for me- fair enough. if someone told me that quitting dark chocolate forever would cure my ADHD *and* make me lose 100lb and turn into Jensen Ackles’ girlfriend…. happy as i’d be with the results, i doubt i’d be exactly keen on messing with my love of delicious chocolate. i’m just not quite desperate enough yet. maybe i never will be. :D

*covers her eyes and runs away, thinking as many happy thoughts as possible, hoping to avoid hitting any unsuspecting lamp posts as she goes*.

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

LOL Jen…..Thanks for lightening the moooood. i agree with you about the diet thing. Making brown rice one day for the week and store it in a baggie is a good short cut, chopping veggies is fun! I try to eat foods that can still remember where they came from(ie not processed with preservatives, etc).

I gotta remember to not take things so personally and remember that people express themselves differently and to get to the “root” of what they’re trying to get across instead of getting stuck on methods used to make a point. Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@jeneticallymodified, thank you for the peacemaking – might you be a Libra?

@Lindstr7, I’m sorry you felt I was condescending – really I’m not, and I read back my stuff – I keep saying over and over, this is my opinion, this is my choice, I don’t have a wagon; I do have a long personal history with misdiagnoses and psych meds which damaged my liver and caused some pretty horrible events in my life. That’s where I come from, which is why I may sound forceful, but I’m really just telling my story. Thank you and good night!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@2Raddled, there’s a lovely lecture by Robert Thurman about the Tibetan Buddhist concept of taking refuge in reality, it helped me out a lot at different times.

Joke alert: I will definitely join OnAnOn, just as soon as you join Prinkers Anonymous :-)

References

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dwight_College

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)