Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Should I bother at this point

Should I bother at this point2010-12-05T19:23:15+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Other Should I bother at this point

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m 54 years old and I’ve been adhd all of my life. I’ve learned to cope to some degree and wonder if it’s worthwhile to seek treatment at my age.

REPORT ABUSE

Bryan

In my opinion it’s never to late. Though I’m only 26, my thoughts are since looking at the average expectancy is 78, you still have plenty of time to make some meaningful changes for the better to fulfill a happy life. Better late then never my friend…I say go for it!

Best of luck,

Bryan

REPORT ABUSE

chacubee

Maybe my experience can you help you. I’ve “known” Ive been ADD for years too, but was always afraid to seek treatment because I was convinced I didnt need help or medications with my disorder. I never even bothered to get a real diagnosis as I thought it would be useless. This year, I had been suffering from more anxiety than ever and had to stop my work for almost 6 months. I finally decided to ask my family doctor for a refferal to go get diagnosed, just to see if I really had it and see if this disorder might have been causing some of my anxiety. Sure enough, I got my official diagnosis, but still wasn’t sure about taking medications for it. Me and my husband finally agreed that it was worth a try. I mean, why not try and see how I react to the medications right?

Well, I can tell you from DAY ONE this has been life changing. I noticed a change right away, and I finally dont need to write down every tasks I need done for the day or constantly panick over every little things I need to get done. I can now get up and be productive without all the stress Ive been feeling all my life, and instead of being late for all my appointements, Im usually 20 minutes early!

I understand you might not have all the same problems as me from this disorder, and that you probably thought yourself some good strategies to deal with this, but I defintely think its worth it to at least try different treatments.

The worst that can happen is that you realize you can in fact manage your ADD by yourself well enough, and the best case scenario is that you will benefit from a better lifestyle.

Sorry if my wording or grammar is not perfect, english is my second language ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am just now beginning to understand that, I may in fact, be suffering from ADD…I’m 57 years old….and I can’t live the rest of my life like this…I almost hope that I have it….because it would explain much of my behavior. I have difficulties in the workplace..because of inattention an make careless mistakes. I don’t know how to relate to others…because I just feel different. This applies in both my work relationships as well as my personnel relationships. I have had difficulty with addictive behavior. My self esteem has always been very poor and I am extremely sensitive. I can be looking at someone as they talk to me, liking I’m understanding but my mind is somewhere else. I have some strategies, but it’s stuff I’ve figured out on my own…and may or may not be working.I work frequently as a carpenter…I find myself being distracted by someone or something….and get waylayed…then forget where I left the last tool I put down..I am also a jack of all trades and master of none…My ex wife complained that I didn’t listened to her….I just thought this was a guy thing….but maybe not…Any insight anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all

REPORT ABUSE

2bananas

RBink I understand what your saying, Im 50ish and as I age the effects of the adhd are really becoming more of a problem. Its not just a guy thing and I make notes to do things and forget where I put the notes. I have always had difficulty with work and personal relationships, if you find something that works I’d be glad to hear it. Keep on trying.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Hi, Bobby

I posted a response to billd about the same issue here: “How do you deal with these people?”

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)