Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Shyness and ADHD

Shyness and ADHD2010-12-28T02:49:04+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Shyness and ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can someone have ADHD and be shy at the same time?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would say yeah because I was very shy as a child. Still am in some situations.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Me too. I would say that I am impulsive, except that I’m shy. But somehow being shy doesn’t seem to fit with ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

powcat

I just got diagnosed about a week or two weeks ago. that didn`t make sense to me either, because I was never the class clown the way a typical ADHD child would be. and I was really good at school! (until I hit 16 or so.)

but ADHD is a disorder and it doesn`t define your personality, we all still have our own different traits and qualities, I guess.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

mouse- Have you ever seeen ADD and Loving it?! if not, getting the CD and watching it; will be well worth your investment. My point is when you meet a person with ADD you meet an individual with ADD. I for one can be very comfortable with people in some situations but painfully shy in others.

Kazuo

REPORT ABUSE

billd

mouse11 – YES.

That’s me. Not when I’m behind a keyboard, but in public with strangers, and actually, even with family!

Here’s a blip from my online test results here on this site:

>>you’re NOT the extroverted, impulsive or restless individual. You are more the introverted, shy and quiet, albeit scattered one<<

Wow, that’s me in a nutshell.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depending on my overall mood I can be very outgoing and social. Other times I am completely anti social. I have often wondered if it is possible to be both an intovert and extrovert. Before being diagnosed this really bothered me. How at times I would really enjoy parties other times I would feel akward and socially inept. Well it still bothers me but, at least now I know why.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe it’s entirely possible. I was always the same way. In everyday social situations I was/am a train wreck. However, anty time I was put on stage, I just exploded (in a good way). :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

wow, I had no idea. I have a friend who is ADHD and the class clown ect. So I guess I was just type casting ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Indeed mouse11 you have friends you are hardly alone and yes it is possible to be extroverted and introverted at the same time maybe not the same moment… but definately the same time.

K

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Introverted, yet I might hold the record for getting in trouble for being a class-clown in school and a minor disruption on my best days.

Always had my hand up first, but at the same time, quite shy.

what a contradiction!

When I was in the library between classes, it was far from quiet………

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

mouse11- I got a suggestion for you show your parrents Dr. J’s videos from this website good luck.

K

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

when I do the Myers Briggs personality typing I come out as introverted, which a lot of my friends found very surprising

I find that I often feel like I’m supposed to be entertaining so I’ll talk when I really just want to sit in the corner with a book!

one of the many paradoxes in my life – like being able to hyperfocus one day and being completely unable to pay attention to anything the next!

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

It’s both with me, it’s awful, VERY. I think I’m shy because of the mistakes I make when I’m not shy.

I just deleted the huge middle part of this post… a vent about my frustration with not understanding how dyslexia, and possibly early Alzheimer’s disease may relate to ADHD… And I don’t understand dyslexia at all.. I thought I did… plus I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. The stress of never getting all the help I need in the microsecond of time they give us, and being late make it nearly impossible to sleep. The I look like hell at the appointment because I’m stressed out, late, and not rested, didn’t have time to eat… and they don’t want to give me medication… I can’t freakin win…

my tiny little glimmer of hope is dwindling. I wish there was someone to talk to… not just this screen

Fear is misery.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Robbo,

Just a thought, perhaps you could write a list of things you want to ask your doctor tomorrow?

They won’t mind and at least you can think about what you want out of your appointment in a calmer setting first. I never come out of the doctors feeling satisfied for all the reasons you describe. Going through your list will keep you focussed and make him or her address each point. It also shows them you’re not going to be fobbed off.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)