Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Sleep aid that works for me

Sleep aid that works for me2010-11-08T23:51:46+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Sleep aid that works for me

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

JimC.
    Participant

I’m 63, adderall XR 20 mg /day, and doing not too badly, in fact doing well. I recently had a naturopath acquaintance who specializes in ADHD suggest a single 5 HTP supplemental pill – 1 before bed (skip the 6 a day the mfr says you need). The first night or 2 got a bit of a rush as when sleep comes quickly, then it would pass. But bottom line, when I do sleep, I sleep better, longer with fewer interruptions, and I wake up feeling more refreshed than I can ever recall. For an over the counter pill, this might be worth a try. I’m using Webber naturals 50 mg 1-just before bed. Hope that helps someone out there. jc

READ THE LABEL FOR CLASHES WITH OTHER MEDS ETC!

5 HTP, BTW is Tryptophan – the only substance that can be converted into Serotonin. Serotonin in turn is converted into Melatonin. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi JimC.

For the occasional extra-hyper night, I use 3 mg. Melatonin tablets (the ones that dissolve under the tongue) that I cut into quarters. I take only one quarter, as I find it can really Zonk me out the next day.

I’m a bit slower the next morning but it’s hard to figure out if it’s from sleeping soundly or a residual effect of the Melatonin.

These can be purchased at the Health Food store fairly cheaply.

: )

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

A quick look at the Wiki entry for Melatonin turned up this paper:

Melatonin for treatment of sleeping disorders in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a preliminary open label study

http://www.springerlink.com/content/etu84b73v6p7qe1f/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use Tranquil Nights by New Chapter it’s a natural product. The main sleep aid ingredient is Valerian Root. It works great, almost instantly! I sleep soundly and have no residual grogginess in the morning. It’s a little pricey but well worth it! I tried a similar cheaper product and it gave me heart burn :)

http://www.newchapter.com/products/tranquilnite-plus

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

Valerian can have interactions with a variety of meds, including ones for anxiety.

http://www.medicinenet.com/valerian_valeriana_officinalis-oral/page2.htm

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

Hi Everybody ,

I have started with a natrual based lozenge called Super Sleep by Webber natruals.

its working for me .

I am on Biphentin 30 mg for my ADD

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

Sorry my ADD kicked in should have rest of posts lol

Thumds up for webber super sleep

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the tip on Valarian!

I take Dexedrine and Welbutrin. I often forget to consider how supplements can interfere with my Med’s!

Cheers All!

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

You’re not alone in that ADDME. A lot of people forget that a chemical is a chemical, regardless of the source.

I tried Ginseng once, in the form of Cold FX, and I ended up with side effects that one might expect from Amphetamines: a racing heart, and insomnia.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and just beginning the journey to manage and hopefully quiet my jangling brain. I have found a lot of useful info here and want to know more.

On the topic of getting to sleep, I have found a few drugless methods that help me when I get occasional insomnia. I tend to sleep on my back and sides but I don’t like to sleep on my stomach because it kinks my neck. That said, I will flip onto my stomach for about 20 minutes and back to my side to fall asleep. Doesn’t always work, but it helps. Sometimes a hard full body stretch for about two minutes helps, too. Maybe it’s a circulation thing. My pièce de résistance is a hot water bottle (you could use a heating pad, but a hot water bottle is better) filled with hot tap water, placed on the pillow with a soft towel on top. I position myself so the hwb is under the back of my neck and top of my shoulders. I get the effect of sleeping on a water bed and the hwb does hold its heat fairly well overnight. One more thing is ear muffs. They dampen sound slightly and warm the ears and make me feel relaxed enough to fall asleep.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does tryptophan conflict with ADHD medications?? I’ve considered a supplement but have held off on trying any sleep aids. I’ve haven’t had a solid nights sleep for 15 years!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Clive

Hi Dacookster ,

I am on Biphentin , and i had my Pharmacist check the natrual product Webbers super sleep which contains tryptophan and said there was no comflict .

Just like eating a turkey dinner at thankgiving .

Hope this helps

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool Thanks Clive – Got a whole bottle of chewables! I’ll try em tonight.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is no conflict with tryptophan except to your pocket book…..it is pretty expensive. it is also a bit of a horse pill. Best to just eat foods high in this amino acid.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)