Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

So I guess in some way, my teachers were right in saying…..

So I guess in some way, my teachers were right in saying…..2010-07-08T03:45:58+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Other So I guess in some way, my teachers were right in saying…..

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you’ll find that those of us that are just finding out or did so late have mixed emotions. Did I get (am I) angry? Sad? Happy? Disappointed? Motivated? depressed? All those and more. going through life seen and told you were lazy, you could do better, you need to apply yourself… Yea I’m 34 and I found out I was ADD 2 years ago. I only realized what that meant within the last couple of weeks… I had one of those moments that all the pieces fit. It was kinda sickening. But you know what? Screw the past. What’s wrong with tomorrow? Get on it! Get the meds, get the coach and support! Talk with Family. Let them know what this really means. This is a huge thing! We know now. We got allot of ground to cover but damn it we’ll do it firing n all cylinders and blow everyone else out of the water.

I had a therapist tell me once I wasn’t better then everyone else… accept being normal. Screw that! LOL I don’t want normal.

REPORT ABUSE

Tim
    Participant

Normal. Definitely overrated.

At 56 and diagnosed only two months and two days ago, I’ve had a lot of ups and downs over this and I’m still trying to figure out what this really means in the context of my life. What gives me optimism about the future is that the stimulant is working well and I finally have an understanding of all of the difficulties I have had that makes sense. I can work with this understanding and shape my life around who I really am, not who I kept thinking I should be.

Sadie1235, I spent a lot of time and money over the years on mental health professionals that missed mine completely. However, we both know the truth now and can get on with living. I’m still mourning the loss of the future that never happened but as with all losses, I’ll get over it. If this seems a bit abstract, think about never getting diagnosed and trying to muddle on for the rest of your life.

Take the time you need to sort through and accept your feelings. Then figure out how to use this gift you have just been handed.

You really are quite lucky.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I started a new school in grade 8 and one of my teachers found it necessary to call my mother and tell her, “I can already tell that Alaina is going to be the type of student that does the minimum amount of work necessary to pass.” Ok, thanks. My mom then turned to me and said, “How does he know this about you?” Ouch. I know she meant no real harm, she didn’t know I had ADD and was frustrated at my lack of scholastic ambitions.

A pang of hurt still accompanies that memory. But, I understand that sometimes people see what they want to see, and if my teacher wanted to see a slacker, no room remained for any other explanation.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ferk I went back over my report cards and this is what I had

Grade 2: “Shane is capable of achieving a good deal more then he does. He takes a very casual approach to work. He plays, wastes time and does not always complete assignments.”

Grade 6: “Shane is capable of doing better work. he tries to get by with as little work as possible.”

Everything in between was the same. Grade 7 was a disaster though and made every year before it seem… well good. Half way through the year (March break) while in the hospital for corrective surgery on my hip my Father died. He was 33 and had a massive heart attack. He was the rock in my world cause he was the one to put me straight no matter what that meant. I just now after writing that realized just how much I depended on him. the tail spin I went on after he died wasn’t just loosing my Dad but the focus not wanting to get in trouble or disappoint him. This last month or so of “The Awakening” has me dealing with more then I thought I would come up against, especially so quick.

@sadie1235… Hell anyone just coming around to this…Listen to me when I say talk about it. Get professional help or a good friend that can read you like a proverbial book! this trip is something you do not want to take alone.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)