Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Some motivational thoughts

Some motivational thoughts2011-07-01T05:32:17+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m realizing how much my father’s attitude influenced me and kept me on the rails. I’m pretty sure he had ADHD, but like me, was good at coping and staying positive. He passed away a few years ago, and I don’t know how, but I made it through. There were some key thoughts that I know helped me, and I would repeat them to myself when times were rough. Now that I have been diagnosed, I have a feeling I’m going to be needing these motivational thoughts again, and wanted to pass them on. Plus, it’s quarter end and I’m procrastinating:

“When going through hell, keep going.” Winston Churchill

How long are you going to bang your head against that tree? Until the coconuts come down. (don’t remember where from, but this is my mantra when someone tells me it can’t be done.)

“When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid placed beneath your feet, or you will be taught how to fly.” – Barbara J. Winter

“A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are built for.” – Horatio Nelson

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne

llegitimi non carborundum. (Don’t let the bastards grind you down.)

“No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.” – Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” – Mike Tyson

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” – Mark Twain

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.” – Mark Twain

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” – Albert Einstein

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.” – Richard P. Feynman

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” – Robert Heinlein

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” – Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Great ones pete-puma.

here are a few of my favourites to add to the list:

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams – Eleanor Roosevelt

It is never to late to be who you might have been – George Eliot

( this one seems all the more relevant given the irony of the pen name – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Eliot)

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Live the life you have imagined

– Henry David Thoreau

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Desiderata is also very helpful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata):

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,

they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain or bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love;

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment

it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Put Eleanor Roosevelt and Lawrence of Arabia together, and it sounds like a recipe for trouble. Too, I don’t imagine Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman would have gotten along very well.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wgreen, why do you say that? B/c Einstein would hold a grudge for the Manhattan project?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Because Einstein, a scientist, seems to have contempt for people who don’t “get it.” And Feynman seems to have contempt for scientists who claim to “get it,” but whom in his eyes, really don’t.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Wgreen,it is said that Feyman’s last words were

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.” Coincidental reference in an ADD thread? I think not :D

But I’m still not seeing your Eleanor and Lawrence connection.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think Feynman was definitely ADD. Read his personal (non-physics) books and it’s pretty clear. The man helped invent the atom bomb, discovered quantum chromo dynamics, played the bongos–competitively–and his life-long motto was “what do you care what other people think.”

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Well, Nellie, T. E. Lawrence is quoted as saying, “Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men.” So dreaming, depending on timetable, is either a vanity or a sign of impending doom. But according to Mrs. Roosevelt, dreams are beautiful things that shape [a presumably bright] future. There is no “connection” per se. It’s just that the two observations seem seem to be… at odds.

And Pete, unlike Dr. Feynman, you’re a lawyer. So I’d Imagine you’d care quite a bit about what other people think, especially if those people are, say, jury members or judges, ¿no?

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

“…but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men.”

I disagree, being an eternal optimist I interpreted “dangerous” as unstoppable – in a good way.As the rest of the quote seems to bear out : “for they act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

“Always look on the bright side of life…” Eric Idle (from Monty Python’s Life of Brian)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here are two I like to keep in mind that relates to ADD.

“Vision without action is a dream, Action without vision is a nightmare” Chinese Proverb

“Motion creates emotion” from the movie Boiler Room ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

wgreen, I’m a corporate lawyer so, much like everyone else, I only have to care about what my employer thinks!

For the most part, Feynman’s advice is good advice. IF you care too much what anyone thinks (especially your boss), you end up being limited by their biases and limited imagination. As my grandfather used to say, do what you feel is right, that way at least one person is happy.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

<<>”A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” – Robert Heinlein <<>

I don’t know why, but I like this one more than a lot of the rest. There are lot’s of jems on this thread though.

Imagine reading even 25% of what’s written on this site? Shoot you guy, why buy books? We’re creating our own solutions here.

I have that desiderata on the wall at my stove. My favorite place in my apartment. That’s were I create art, then eat it.

“Meds are for people with decent health care. Screw it!” Robbo

“I’m just the resident pig at totallyadd, digging up the truffles.” Robbo

I wanted to start a new thread about thinking positive, it’s already all over the place here, just gotta find it. (finding it is my new self appointed job here)

Bat’s in yer attic?

Got solutions?

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Scattybird
    Participant

Ok sorry guys – pressed the back button and got multiple posts. Can delete content but not the post!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)