Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Television Addiction

Television Addiction2012-06-23T23:25:48+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Robbo

I checked out the PBS web sites, looks like I won’t be able to watch the PBS stuff I do like without cable. I’ve tried an antenna, an amplified one. But we can’t have outside antenna’s in my apartment complex. No mater, it’s just more exercise in self restraint. I won’t give up cable just yet. There’s a baby inside all that dirty bath-water. Could it be a mistake for me to trust some of the stuff PBS dishes out to us? of course I don’t gulp down every bit of it without question. Mostly I like Nova, Nature, and World news. The news is risky I know.

Years ago when I first got a high def TV, I also got a DVR. It was great skipping commercials, but being able to save David Lettermen, Conan, and watch old X-files, n Star Trek reruns any time ate huge amounts of my time, had to quit that within a few months of TV hypnomanianism. That’s when I got to see some of the best stuff Dan Rather did, on HD net. He tells the real truth. It was great while it lasted. I just found some links to his reports on the net. Got the idea reading your post. Got an opinion about Dan Rather’s stuff on the Internet now? I can’t think of another name in the news I trust. Giving up the cable box is still an option for me.

TV addiction’s a good thing to be passionate about Toofat. I hope more folks find the courage to hear you. Being honest with ourselves on this is a painful humbling experience. But it’s the best way out of the addiction.

Lot’s of folks are in denial about ADHD symptoms. We’re just the ones who have em bad. People who minimize ADD probably just don’t want to face their own struggles. Kinda like TV addiction. Some really suffer, others not so much.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Robbo……like you say there is a “baby in the bathwater”……..and getting rid of cable is not required, in my estimation. Setting personal limits, deciding to watch, taking time for a particular program(s) is likely a more reasonable and sustainable approach. Just knowing what’s up with the media is important, and what it is being used for…..is important. Misdirection only works on the unwitting or unaware!!!! Watching the game (propaganda) being played with awareness and knowledge is entertaining to some degree too……in a sad commentary on society way. Just so you know….I’m not a conspiracy theorist……or cynic by any means….I just like to live aware that’s all. It is my duty to myself….it helps me keep my heart and soul in the right place….regardless of what the world is doing!!!! Easy to say…….

The Dan Rather stuff I spoke of is not so much his news broadcasts…which were as straight forward as anything in their day……but search why Dan Rather was fired…….and you will see the link to the top political chair in the US. It really illustrates what is going on with media, power politics, the war initiative…..etc etc……

Good hunting…….

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Ha – now I don’t feel so bad about the fact that I can’t afford TV since recent divorce…

I spent the money on a gym membership instead!

Now if I could just quit spending so much time on this darn computer and get my dishes done… :)

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Hey toofat,

Much like with any other symptom of ADD, I think it’s a fairly easy thing to say that “millions” of (presumably other, non-ADD) people suffer from an addiction to television, thus discount ADD as a factor in that addiction in favor of other, more universally experienced dynamics. It is true that many people that don’t have ADD are addicted to television, and are subject to the marketing tactics it thrives on.

But I do want to ask that the idea that ADD may be contributing to, or in some way, or at some level, for some people, causing a frustrating behavior that is robbing them of productivity, of self-esteem, of happiness not be scoffed at and/or dismissed. Maybe that’s not what you were doing, and honestly, maybe it’s more the tone of the post rather than the content that has rubbed me the wrong way, but in any case…

Do television producers and consumer researches and marketers bank their jobs on their ability to draw in and keep viewers and consumers? Sure. Is it incidious? Absolutely. Are they solely responsible for our addiction to their products? No.

No more so than ADD is solely responsible for my/any person’s addiction to television. I’m sorry if that’s what I implied.

We all come to the television (or sugar, or cocaine, or alcohol, or Any and All Other Products) primed with our own set of issues that make us susceptible to becoming addicted to consuming them.

I think that ADD could be one of those issues.

Honestly, I’m hoping that ADD could be a cause, because otherwise I spiral into that “I’m lazy. I have no willpower. I may have talent, but obviously I don’t have enough passion or drive or dedication to make my dreams a reality. I suck. Why do I keep channel surfing my life away? Why don’t the motivational speeches and life changing, enlightening information about what I should be chosing to do with my life instead of watching tv and shopping work on me? Why do I keep sitting down in front of this television? Because I suck! I suck! I suck! I’m awful!”

I’m actually completely aware that watching television is wasting my life. Also, I’m aware of the issues surrounding consumerism. I really, really am. It isn’t a lack of awareness or knowledge of how short and fragile and precious my life is, of how much happier and active and more fulfilled I would be without television, or even how manipulative and effective the marketing I am exposed to on television is, how it locks me in and keeps me going on a mindset of consumerism that I, in quiet, thoughtful moments (away from the television) detest. I know and tell myself these things over and over. I berate myself with it.

In fact, that negative self-talk is probably yet another factor in my television addiction. Self-sabatoge.

Knowing and telling myself that I’m wasting my time just doesn’t help. Knowing that any given new mascara is NOT going to make my lashes all that better doesn’t completely prevent me from lusting after a new eyelash-goo. See, I have that locked-in, can’t move, paralysis thing going that keeps me in front of the tv. Also, I have that frenzied, restless, anxious need to feel, experience, be perfect, consume that keeps me wanting and shopping. Very frustrating. I’ve heard those are all symptoms of ADD.

That’s why I came here, to share a frustration and hopefully get feedback from others who relate, who understand, who can say, “Yeah, I struggled with that too, but here’s some things I did that kinda helped” before launching into telling me how I’m wasting my life or offering an explanation of something about which I am already well-versed.

Again, maybe it was just the tone that rubbed me wrong, it came off as self-righteous, and maybe you can call me out on just wanting to be nicely patted on the hand and told “I know, it’s so hard” instead of having someone push me in the right direction. And I know it is impossible to know everyone who posts here, and what their prior knowledge on a topic like marketing tactics may or may not be, but I just wanted to say,

Yeah. I know. I know it’s designed to suck me in. I know about the millions of dollars and the marketing and the carefully manipulated scripts and segments and commercial breaks and commercials and product “reviews” on daytime talk shows, and political affiliations. Half the time I’m watching, I’m rolling my eyes. But still I watch.

Riddle me that, toofat.

Maybe I’m just weak. And lazy.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

With any addiction, we need specific help. I went to 12 step programs starting back in 1989. I’m not sure I could have made any progress dealing with ADHD if I was still in the grips of all the other addictions that beat me up before I came here. There’s no way to know of course.

None of us think 100% of what’s on TV is crap. Just a lot :-)

The pain of lonliness is the monster that ADHD creates. That monster also leads us to addictions. If you keep reading all around this site, you’ll find lot’s of compassion. It comes in many different forms. Remember lot’s of people here really know how you’re feeling.

I hope you stick with us more when life gets harder, remember to be gentle with yourself when you need to be. It matters a lot to us all how you’re feeling. Slow baby step progress is good enough progress. I’ve gone backwards several times since I’ve been here. But I did stick with this place. Mostly cuz people here sorta force fed me the compassion I needed when I wanted to just give up and leave.

Sometimes the videos, especially the funny ones are the medicine that helps me when I can’t stand to read any more. You’ll know what’s best for you when you discover it. Maybe try surfing around and looking at the blogs by Dr. Jain and Rick. I still find new stuff here, like the links to more ADD web sites I just found a few days ago. Click on Tools, then click links.

Hey!, I just clicked edit post the 3rd time because I didn’t realize how many links they have here before. Really cool resources! and I’ve been beeboppen around this place for about 8 or 9 months I think… Maybe check those out too.

Good luck Lady Friend :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Ash, here is a surprise….we agree………..YES… we are stimulus seek missiles….YES….100% we are, without a doubt!!!! Like any trait of strength it often has a double edge!!!! True almost all studies indicate we tend to feel the heavy pull towards anything like, booze, sex drugs, fast motorcycles, coffee ……….. and yes TV also falls, or can fall, into the mix too….for sure. Yes…. our propensity for seeking stimulation can and does have negative impacts on many of us (by the way the above list is not inclusive by any means)………so the fact remains….an overwhelming number of us ADDers are obsessed, addicted, incarcerated, homeless and more……….all of that is true. Examples of that abound.

I guess maybe ……maybe… the question might be….what I can I do about getting off this path or re-directing it if I’ve fallen into a destructive addictive/compulsive pattern??? In my youth I too was on a very very risky path (I won’t get into details) and my life could have gone another way many times. Was my ADD stimulus seeking behavior part of my high risk behavior…….in part, yes, it was a contributor!!!! So as I said previously……we agree we are a segment at risk!!!

As for being labeled “self righteous”…YES…YES…and YES….your also correct in that assessment!!! I am outraged continuously, day after day with regard to the state of our society and the people whose plan it is!! The flagrant intentional manipulation of our society as a whole by a very very miniscule percentage of the the population, whose sole intent is to accumulate and polarize wealth and power, through what I consider immoral practices, TV being a major tool of that manipulation, makes me crazy!!! I make no apologies for speaking out and speaking out with vigor at any or every opportunity I find…..to rage against the machine….that is presently driving society back into a feudal type system. So if I come off as righteously indignant….GOOD….I think more people should be……and be loud about it too!!!

I have no idea how many people get that, using the media all of the media (which they own 100%)……to seduce, mesmerize, placate and mislead the social masses in order to further subjugate their greed needs to be exposed…..and shared….and raged against!!! How’s that for a an ADD rant…….

So if you have fallen victim…..that’s no surprise…..although it is a shame they get to claim another good person, I don’t like to hear that!! There are ways out, there is help as Robbo said….never quit trying……try always…..it is the good fight, well worth the effort!!!

My guess is your stronger than you think…….we all are!!!!!!

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Interesting topic. I would say that right now I have a television habit rather than an addiction, as in, at about 8 o’clock or so my routine is to settle into the couch and see what’s on the dial. If there’s nothing on I usually have a few things on the DVR I can watch. So it’s definitely part of my evening ritual, and I do feel a certain frustration if there’s nothing on.

I can easily see how easily TV can become an addiction – especially for those who live alone. I have a noisy family around that keeps me from needing the TV for company, but when nobody’s home it seems really quiet in the evening unless the TV’s on.

Interestingly, much as I love the TV on at night, I absolutely HATE it in the morning. Just too much noise at that hour of the day. Could be that the morning programs are just louder, or, more likely, I’m not a morning person, so I need my quiet time.

Another thing I’ve always found funny is how much more annoying the TV is when I’m not watching the program myself. It’s really hard to be in earshot of a show somebody else is watching!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well my TV is on in the bedroom…..all night every night……..has been for years and years…..it is my sleep aid. The low volume noise/chatter sooths the beast…..z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z……..etc.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

My sleep is very broken and I just can’t get through the thread but I WILL now I know it’s here and can see there is so much interesting stuff in it.

Here’s my tuppensworth for anyone who can manage to wade through it:

I don’t watch TV. Here’s why:

I HATE advertising. I really loath it and I think my kids are happier for the lack of it – they are not being constantly told what they need to feel happy.

The culture of ‘kick out the weakest’ type programming makes my blood BOIL! It is culturally damaging and supremely degrading to those poor souls who have made bad choices through lack of understanding and are humiliated publicly.

The ‘beauty’ culture makes me want to puke.

I cannot and never have been able to remember to tune in at a certain time to see the next episode or to be content to wait a week to see what happens next.

I don’t want to get sucked into the endless channel hopping, desperate to find something remotely interesting.

HOWEVER:

I like DVDs – films or boxsets of things I enjoy, like Frasier or West Wing, that I genuinely get pleasure from.

I like i-player from the BBC. The BBC doesn’t advertise – I can watch something without being bombarded by things I find deeply offensive every few minutes. I can choose documentaries or comedies or films and watch them there and then. And I know that if I allow my kids to watch the 2 children’s channels on it, they’ll not be exposed to things that are unacceptable to me (like being told they NEED some games console.)

And I can’t sleep without the white noise of it = I put on Frasier every night and turn the sound down so I can’t quite hear it.

So, if you’ve managed to get that far, I think tv is great for me, provided I am in control of it. If I’m not, I don’t want to know.

I didn’t have one for 4 years and don’t even know how to use our family one as it only seems to be used by my husband for match of the day or if we’re all watching a film together. But I love having i-player and a DVD player on my laptop and I am happy to use them at the end of the day for an hour or two while I’m winding down.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Ashockley, I managed to read a bit more and I realise it’s not about tv as such but about feeling compelled to watch it even when you don’t want to.

I’m like that with the net. I totally understand where you’re coming from.

I also wanted to add, your comment about needing the white noise of it struck a cord. The ‘noise’ in our heads can be too intense and tv or music can help drown it out some and give some relief. To that end, I don’t see anything wrong with having the thing on if that’s what it takes.

If it’s too much for you, would using DVDs be a step away from feeling out of control with it? What happens when you try listening to music and reading at the same time instead? Do you feel you need it when you’re out of the house or is it just when you sit down at home?

I don’t need answers! I don’t have any sensible replies to be honest, but I thought they were worth thinking about because maybe it’ll help unpick why you need it?

x

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like where your going with this Tid…….after all the issue is likely not TV…the “root” issue may be something else altogether…. it just presents as a TV obsession. Although I do know people……close friends who do suffer from a TV obsession.

Interesting thread……tho.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Yes, absolutely, the self-speak, the thoughts in my head are….maddening. Sometimes I just have to escape them. So I turn on the television. I turn to television because I don’t have the energy – mental or otherwise, to engage in any other activity. I work part time as a waitress. I come home, I’m exhausted, but I have chore-type things to do. Once those are done, I’m really, well, done. The idea of going off and doing a hobby or project or something otherwise brain or body involved is just…too much. That sounds awful, but it’s the truth. Also, if I haven’t gotten all my chores done, or I have something hanging over my head like paperwork I need to fill out, or phone calls I need to make, I won’t give myself permission to say for example, go off into the wooded area behind my apartment, lay back on the playground spin thing and snap photos of the trees (I like to do that sometimes). Also, today it was 105 degrees here.

I also use the television for white noise and a sense of company to go to sleep at night. Back in college, I once went to sleep in a florescent-lit dorm room with all my friends awake and talking and laughing. I remember it as one of the times I got to sleep the quickest and easiest. I felt safe because everyone was awake and it felt like they were watching over me. I didn’t have to worry. In order to get to sleep, I need something for a corner of my brain to grab and hold on to so the rest of me can relax.

I think the compulsion to watch tv comes from, primarily the ADD, but sub-issues include mental exhaustion (actually, that’s also kinda ADD), physical exhaustion, not giving myself permission to do something fun and engaging because I have other, more important things to do, sheer habit, and frustration and impatience with the time that engaging in something more fun and interesting can involve when I get into the hyperfocus mode and thoroughly exhaust myself.

Fatigue is a big thing for me. I have an issue with chronic fatigue; I have a heart condition that contributes, and getting engaged with some of my hobbies and interests can often lead to a crazy-intense hyperfocus scenario that is feverish and hectic and speedy and anxious and excited and…did I say exhausting?

For me, I’ve noticed that ADD has manifested itself, for me, as always choosing the easy (read: less physically and or mentally engaged) thing.

Starting a poem? Starting a story? Starting a photo project? Starting a blog? All over the place, my friends, all over the place.

Consistently working on those things, dedicating time to them, and finishing them? Being productive on a consistent basis?

Not so long as King of the Hill is on for the hundredth time.

As a writer, it often feels like I’m slave to the muse. I get these bursts, these sparks of an idea, a line, a few lines, even an entire skeleton for a poem, but then that inspiration, that mood evaporates, and I can’t get back to it. It’s like I take a commercial break and never get back to the original programming.

But that doesn’t work for writers who want to….work.

You have to be disciplined, you have to work at it, write at it everyday.

Ack.

Thank goodness I’m in a writing program; the deadlines are keeping me in line, making me write. Also, I have a friend that I set up an accountability agreement with to keep me submitting.

Thing is, writing is so quiet. And quiet….quiet is just….it’s just awful.

Unless I’m camping. When I’m camping it’s beautiful.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I love camping!…

Your last post above gave me a bunch of good ideas I can use to cut myself loose from the idiot box. I despise deadlines, an enemy rivaled only by the clock on the wall. I admire what looks like real courage to me, to be in that writing program. Especially the accountability agreement friend part.

For more than 10 years I have secretly wanted to be a writer. Go ahead laff it up you guys :-) Stranger things have happened!

Nearly all the things I say here that look and sound like advice are actually challenges I launch against myself. Integrity could be the one characteristic I desire the most. And hypocrisy the least. I’ve made progress. I’m grateful. I would like to be less selfish and self centered, I can see real progress there too. Self doesn’t trash talk me as much these days.

The main thing about my TV is FEAR. I like the part of me that tends to see things from about 35,000 feet. There is always a bigger picture. At altitude we all become tiny little parts n pieces of the big organism, humanity. What’s on the tube boils down to keeping us in a state of fear. AMHO the A is for also.

I wonder how many of my favorite sci fi movies are written by authors unknowingly participating in the conspiracy of fear. Are we already in the Matrix?. How do we really know?

The truth about me, I do have some tendencies to be lazy, stupid, and definitely crazy. I just have a better way out of that nightmare now. A clearer straight line between two points. One being suffering, the other, enlightenment.

Enlightenment = to lighten up. Denial still rears it’s ugly head… we don’t all get the same quality of health care, it’s simply not available to all of us. I’m not in denial about that ugly truth. Honesty with me is powerful stuff. Unless I don’t really know the truth…

Listening to music on youtube made me think of this thread. Rush, one of the greatest bands I know of from Canada, just 3 musicians who magically sound like an orchestra. Their album All The World’s A Stage got me through some of my most difficult years, puberty. I could listen to that 8 track tape for hours n hours. The headphones, my best friend. At what point does entertainment become entertainment addiction? Does it depend on how big the monsters we’re escaping are?. The monster of FEAR, self centered fears…

Sometimes the comments written below the music are actually worth reading on youtube, Take a look/listen if ya want to see what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDJFoBS-Ms&feature=related The song’s called Witch Hunt. It’s about this FEAR I been talking about.

I hope my diarrhea goes away soon :o(

it sure smells.

7-1-12

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Ashockley, you’re describing a life so familiar to my own! The fatigue is hard for others to understand. The days are just exhausting to get through and, well ‘relax’? I didn’t find out how to do that until I started on the concerta and I’m finding even that is wearing off.

So, yes, ‘relaxing’ with a hobby is something that has been largely out of my reach too – short bursts of playing the piano for a few weeks then nothing for 2 years, picking up the flute for a week then forgetting I have one for 6 months, scrapbooking lasted a few months and so on and so on.

I need the ‘interaction’ that the net gives me. I have to be doing something with my hands (thank goodness I gave up smoking 20 years ago!) But it’s not relaxing. My sons call my laptop the ‘clickety clackety argue argue machine’ because I like going on forums and newspaper sites and debating issues. The ‘I can’t come to bed because someone is wrong on the internet’ scenario – that’s me. It is not really fun but I find I get ‘sucked in’ and then 5 hours have gone past and I can’t sleep.

Your comment about your brain needing something to hold on to so you can sleep – yes – that’s me and I had never heard of it like that before. That explains it so well. I need the familiar hum of chatter (my DVDs).

Quiet isn’t quiet, is it? But it’s not just the noise in my head, which is MUCH better on the pills. But it’s the other noises. Someone walking home near my house, a car 4 streets away, someone putting beer bottles in their recycling next door, the dog shifting in his bed, an owl, a flippin noisy pigeon landing on the roof, the cats deciding to play in the middle of the night. Whatever it is it’s LOUD and distracting.

I have learnt now that most people don’t hear these ‘turned up’ noises – or they can tune them out. I can’t. Not just noise – light, smells and touch – wool feels like it’s scratching my skin off, anything round my wrists feels heavy and painful, necklaces feel weighed down and choking. I was diagnosed with ‘severe’ Irlen syndrome recently and am waiting till September so I can get some tinted glasses to help. I am using a blue/grey filter on my computer and I haven’t had a single headache since. They’ve been blinding since I was about 13.

Sometimes they’re called overexcitabilities (see Dabrowski) and sometimes they’re called ‘hypersensitivities’ (common in ADHD and autism.) Whatever they are they just turn the ‘volume’ up on everything. So no wonder we bung on a tv or a computer or light up a joint or eat a whole tub of pringles or whatever it is that ‘works’ for us!

Go easy on yourself. Sounds like you’re doing what you need to do and a bit of tweaking it will probably help you get control of it in a positive way for you!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

http://douglascootey.com/2006/01/adhd-attention-disaster.html Wow. We are not alone!

Love the description of the strong smells. I’m like this. Can’t stand milk after it’s been open for a day, I can tell what my husband has been eating, I can smell rain coming and there’s no way the kids are going to be able to hide smoking from me! It’s embarrassing though. I can smell when people have had sex. If they knew, no-one would want to spend time with me! (Though I knew when an ex cheated on me, which was useful!)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)