Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

the computer is calling my name…

the computer is calling my name…2010-07-20T18:34:43+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments the computer is calling my name…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok it’s an ongoing battle with my family that I tend to hyperfocus on the computer. Just stuff like facebook, msn, gmail, youtube icanhascheezburger.com, the stuff even “normal” people find tough to disconnect from. I just lose all track of time and i go to take a break and look over…ooh it’s 2am. anyone have any good strategies that helps my little paws get off of the keyboard??

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

lol I to have that issue. It’s more the surfing different things etc.. You may be on facebook for hours but I bet you’re doing allot of different things in there. I’m getting something like this: http://www.wintergreen.ca/catalogues/index.php?catalogue=1&cat=22&sub=42&imageref=15771

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

The computer (especially the internet and e-mail) is like that for me too. If I don’t set a timer, I’ll completely lose track of time when I’m on it.

I usually try to limit myself to 1-hour blocks, since that’s the maximum capacity on my little wind-up strawberry dinger.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

rae, I don’t know if this will help you at all, but i’m the same thing. I’m always doing stuff online, and usually not just one thing. I’m on msn chatting, stalking friends on fb, chatting on fb, blogging, emailing and usually downloading pictures too! It’s a wonder my little laptop hasn’t started smoking yet!

I have been wondering myself how to get off the computer and back to life. The hard part is that when I get off my mind wonders what’s going on, have i gotten any emails etc so it’s just easier to stay logged on and stop and check every once in a while.

I think it’s just something you have to set your mind to, and follow thru with like Sane mentioned. Use a timer then turn off the computer, put it away.

|t’s something I hope to do soon, maybe once the meds start working?

Anyways, you are not alone!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a tough one for me as well. My problem is that I’m a web designer along with my regular day job in the large format print industry. With that, I have numerous websites and projects (support forums, etc) that I have running, and basically everything in my life exists online. The main problem is that I sit down and am supposed to be making XYZ updates to one site, but get an idea for another site and then I’m off with that, and not getting anything any further than where it was when I started.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Hey, ScottyDoo

I love your avatar. Only someone with a high level of visual creativity would have found that image….

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Addicted to the internet? Or anything for that matter?

Don’t want to give it up? Don’t think you can?

First strategy:, reframe how you say it because that’s how you view it. You’re not giving up the Internet. You’re doing something else instead. When you’re eating birthday cake you don’t think, “I’m giving up watching a great movie.” You’re eating cake.

So find something else to do that you love. Or you at least like. Or you are have never tried. (Ideally even going for a walk for ten minutes, cause exercise is a huge help with ADHD.)

Second strategy: Only give it up for a while. If you usually get online at 5:30 when you get home, wait till 6:30 or even 7:00. I know, yes, I know, you don’t want to. But can you master your need for one hour? Just one hour? And can you fill that hour with something else instead? Self control is not something we have much of. But I know from first hand experience, it’s a muscle you can develop. And to properly build any muscle you ‘stress’ or ‘strain’ or ‘load it’ with a small weight, then keep adding more as you build strength.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A great way to look at it. I find when I can’t get on the computer I end up doing other stuff to keep me busy. My new shelf may look OK and I think it’ll hold… I do know I need bigger power tools :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)