Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

They DO NOT GET IT….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They DO NOT GET IT….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2010-12-09T06:16:16+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Other They DO NOT GET IT….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

munchkin

Most businesses are NOT set up to help us figure out how we can best be productive. They hire us to produce results, and when our “behavior” compromises those results, or distracts others and compromises their results, our value as an employee goes down. The cause is irrelevent to them. In the state where I live, you do not need a specific reason to fire someone, and there are plenty of other candidates out there who they can try out, rather than try to make it work with me. If you want accomodations (which means you get to work differently than others or have special tools, etc), you have to figure out for yourself what might help, and it can’t be very much of a burden on the company or they will just say it’s an “undue hardship” which gets them off the hook. (in the US) I think telling your employer you have ADD will only be helpful if they already think you are an asset and it is information they can act on to optimize your contribution. If they see you as marginal, their prejudices and myths about ADD may very well cause them to think it’s hopeless, and they won’t want to invest any more time and energy into you. Risky… If knowing you have ADD doesn’t make any difference to them, then it might seem kind of unprofessional to discuss it a work – it’s sort of private… Anyway – you can improve yourself without saying anything often times. Let the results speak for themselves! Start doing what YOU can do and stop focusing on whether or not anyone gets it. YOU get it – and that is so cool because now you can start to do something about it – and start reaping the benefits of your awesome-ness!!

I just want people to say – wow, what’s up with her – she’s really getting her stuff together, to which I would reply, oh really? – I guess so – I hadn’t noticed… by the way, boss, I could really use a pay raise!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am new to this site. I am 41 years old and was diagnosed as “hyperkenetic when i was six. My poor mother and family!!!! My father was not in the picture and my grandfather was the step in. He didn’t want them to experiment with me on meds back then. I now appreciate it more but at times feel angry because i think i would have flourished if they had the knowledge we have now. I struggle everyday but use the tools i was taught back then along with taking meds. They are the synergy that helps me be the best i can be. With that said, i use my sense of humor and personality to get through the low points. Without me having to say i am ADHD to my friends or family anymore they just deal with it. I think it is what draws people to me. Well i am just so glad to find a place i am at home finally. Thanks so much for this site!!!! I really look forward to learning from everyone on here!!!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)